Obekpa

• 11 replies
Obekpa
« on: May 12, 2014, 01:20:42 PM »
Fran F. has a list on ESPN of the top 5 shot blockers in college hoops, which includes Obekpa.  Here is the CO write-up:

Chris Obekpa, St. John's Red Storm
It was an unusual sophomore season for Obekpa. He started only 17 of 32 games after leading the nation in blocks as a freshman (4.0 per contest), blocked fewer shots, and announced his intention to transfer after the season. Then he pulled a 180 and elected to return to the Red Storm. The decision will be fortuitous for coach Steve Lavin.

Obekpa will be one of 11 players returning for Lavin, who has a team that should start in the AP Top 25 next season. Getting the 6-9 junior back on track will be a key for the Red Storm defense. He already owns the St. John's school record for blocks with 229.

pmg911

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 01:39:54 PM »
I like Fran's optimism about where we will start the season.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »

No kidding!
Cougar O' Malley

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 04:12:56 PM »
I caught a little heat labeling Obekpa as a kid that should be playing no more than 10-15 mpg as a frosh (for a team with a full roster).  I think he improved a lot last season right around February.  That, and Jordan's emergence, led to the big run IMO. I expect him to take a few more steps forward this season. We were clearly a much better team on both ends of the court with him in the game.  I can't believe that was true, but he was the only big man to screen and he was the only big that stayed somewhat near the baket.

I like our front court so much better than last season.

DFF6

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2014, 04:21:57 PM »
I caught a little heat labeling Obekpa as a kid that should be playing no more than 10-15 mpg as a frosh (for a team with a full roster).  I think he improved a lot last season right around February.  That, and Jordan's emergence, led to the big run IMO. I expect him to take a few more steps forward this season. We were clearly a much better team on both ends of the court with him in the game.  I can't believe that was true, but he was the only big man to screen and he was the only big that stayed somewhat near the baket.

Based on your previous posts, will you like our front court less if we land Lawrence and he can play this season?

gman

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2014, 04:48:46 PM »

I will be pretty shocked if we start that high.

paultzman

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2014, 04:58:16 PM »

Agree. Attainable, but not out of gate IMO.

desco80

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2014, 09:10:03 PM »

Agree. Attainable, but not out of gate IMO.

Sounds right.  Possible if things go right.  But no coach or writer is going to rank us in the preseason.
In my mind the expectations will be almost identical to what they were before last season.   

Marillac

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:50 AM »

Based on your previous posts, will you like our front court less if we land Lawrence and he can play this season?

It could be great to have a 6'9 kid that can drive teams crazy with his length.  It could also be devastating to team chemistry.  We had three forwards float way more than they should have last season.  Dom was the worst, but Sampson and Sanchez were both guilty. 

The last thing I want to see is a 6'9 kid hoisting threes.  I'd rather have a less talented kid fighting in the trenches and setting screens than that. 

Poison

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2014, 01:19:20 AM »

It could be great to have a 6'9 kid that can drive teams crazy with his length.  It could also be devastating to team chemistry.  We had three forwards float way more than they should have last season.  Dom was the worst, but Sampson and Sanchez were both guilty. 

The last thing I want to see is a 6'9 kid hoisting threes.  I'd rather have a less talented kid fighting in the trenches and setting screens than that. 

If Dom was the worst at floating, what should he have done instead? He struggled at just about everything last year.

He's afraid to shoot, but you can't put it on the floor and create if the guy guarding you is more than happy to give you 3 feet of distance. And when he played inside, he never posted up his man, or boxed out to get rebounds. Sometimes he helped on the offensive glass, but if he's going to help us, and have a good senior year, he's got to get hungry inside, and go up strong unlike the providence game.

He's another player w out a position, but that's on him.

It's his last chance to work hard on his game, and develop moves that he trusts enough to use in a game. I hope he gets there. It would be great a 4 year guy finally realize his potential.

DFF6

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2014, 06:48:05 AM »

I hear you, but we lost over 20 pts per game in front court scoring with Sampson and Sanchez gone, and our current front court is not going to fill that gap, and I think it's asking a lot to expect our back court to increase its scoring average by 10-15 ppg.  If Lawrence can knock down the 15 jumper and occasional 3 (unlike Sampson) while playing solid d with his length and athleticism at the SF, and as long as he's not a black hole that disrupts the offensive chemistry, I think we are way better off having him than not.

desco80

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2014, 10:49:24 AM »

I hear you, but we lost over 20 pts per game in front court scoring with Sampson and Sanchez gone, and our current front court is not going to fill that gap, and I think it's asking a lot to expect our back court to increase its scoring average by 10-15 ppg.  If Lawrence can knock down the 15 jumper and occasional 3 (unlike Sampson) while playing solid d with his length and athleticism at the SF, and as long as he's not a black hole that disrupts the offensive chemistry, I think we are way better off having him than not.

+1
Excellent points.     The scoring is not easily replaceable.   And frankly, we weren't a great offensive team to begin with.