Obekpa

• 479 replies

NYCoffey

Re: Obekpa
« Reply #320 on: April 13, 2014, 09:15:26 PM »
Marial Shayok just decommitted from Marquette. 6'7 Canadian strong athletic forward. Michigan, Indiana and Virginia all recruiting him so the Johnnies probably a long shot at best.

If he signed an LOI then he can't go to a big east school without the schools consent. So yeah, we won't be involved unless he never signed.

« Reply #321 on: April 13, 2014, 09:39:03 PM »
Marial Shayok just decommitted from Marquette. 6'7 Canadian strong athletic forward. Michigan, Indiana and Virginia all recruiting him so the Johnnies probably a long shot at best.

If he signed an LOI then he can't go to a big east school without the schools consent. So yeah, we won't be involved unless he never signed.

He can't go period.  Big East intra-conference transfer rules apply to kids who signed LOI's.  In other words it is prohibited.

« Reply #322 on: April 13, 2014, 10:25:35 PM »
Roger Rubin saying that Obekpa likely to stay. Also mentions Horford and DJ Newbill of PSU:

www.nydailynews.com/sports/college/obekp...hn-article-1.1755391   

Poison

« Reply #323 on: April 13, 2014, 11:04:42 PM »
Roger Rubin saying that Obekpa likely to stay. Also mentions Horford and DJ Newbill of PSU:

He mentions Horford and Newbill, but are we recruiting them, or are they just available? The other players have been mentioned on Twitter, and on Zags. (Among others) Horford would help us. Newbill seems like he's probably the same as Mason at Niagara. We will need to replace Jakarr's offense one way or another.

« Reply #324 on: April 13, 2014, 11:34:11 PM »
“@obekpa12: Let's do this @philgreene31”

« Reply #325 on: April 13, 2014, 11:36:22 PM »
Looks like our roster may actually improve going into next season.

paultzman

« Reply #326 on: April 13, 2014, 11:41:44 PM »
@AdamZagoria: Obekpa Tweet Gives Hope He May Remain at St. John’s http://t.co/4SU2laVLOY

Poison

« Reply #327 on: April 13, 2014, 11:50:58 PM »

It will if we can bring back Obekpa and sign a winning lottery ticket juco, or transfer. Even still, I can't accept that we're better w out Sampson. He was a huge part of the little success we did have last year. The loss of his scoring isn't replaced by anyone that's left at this point in the season, unless we strike it rich, and when does that happen here?

« Reply #328 on: April 14, 2014, 06:50:09 AM »

It will if we can bring back Obekpa and sign a winning lottery ticket juco, or transfer. Even still, I can't accept that we're better w out Sampson. He was a huge part of the little success we did have last year. The loss of his scoring isn't replaced by anyone that's left at this point in the season, unless we strike it rich, and when does that happen here?

Sampson is not a winning player. His loss doesnt bother me. Score 12, give up 15.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #329 on: April 14, 2014, 06:55:09 AM »
Sampson really won't be missed that much. He wasn't a very clutch player when the game was on the line. Not to mention Sampson has some of the worst hands I've ever seen. If you watch he almost never caught a pass cleanly and always had to re-gather the ball before finishing a play. It will really hurt him at next level. Like watching Charles Smith with the Knicks all over again.

MCNPA

« Reply #330 on: April 14, 2014, 07:16:56 AM »

Could actually use Newbill as a pseudo SF in the lineup.  I'd sign on for Newbill any day of the week.

paultzman

« Reply #331 on: April 14, 2014, 07:57:53 AM »

Could actually use Newbill as a pseudo SF in the lineup.  I'd sign on for Newbill any day of the week.

Newbill not  in mix according to Zags.

paultzman

« Reply #332 on: April 14, 2014, 08:10:34 AM »

Poison

« Reply #333 on: April 14, 2014, 08:19:56 AM »
Sampson was a soph. And for a soph he was damn good. Led our team in rebounding. The expectation is that by his junior year, he'd really have it together. He won't have anything together because he's so raw, and such a slow learner, but we are not just replacing him, we are replacing the player he was going to become.

« Reply #334 on: April 14, 2014, 10:09:51 AM »
Here's hoping Obekpa's meeting with Lavin goes well.

Looking forward to watching him ice a few games for us at the foul line.

TONYD3

« Reply #335 on: April 14, 2014, 10:15:51 AM »
Sampson was a soph. And for a soph he was damn good. Led our team in rebounding. The expectation is that by his junior year, he'd really have it together. He won't have anything together because he's so raw, and such a slow learner, but we are not just replacing him, we are replacing the player he was going to become.
agree 100%, but he was never going to stay to his junior year.

« Reply #336 on: April 14, 2014, 10:29:25 AM »

The absolute SMARTEST post you have ever had here, seriously.

You wouldn’t say that replacing Rysheed Jordan’s 9 points would not be hard simply because nobody believes Jordan will average 9 in future years.

He hurts but there is still a lot of talent here that have another year under their belts and some good talent on the way.

« Reply #337 on: April 14, 2014, 10:33:36 AM »
Here's hoping Obekpa's meeting with Lavin goes well.

Looking forward to watching him ice a few games for us at the foul line.

at this point, not allowing him to come back would be a PR disaster for St. John's/Lavin. With Greene actively imploring fans to "show Obekpa love" on twitter and with fans obliging, it almost seems like the team hasn't left Lavin any choice.   Even the St. John's twitter guy openly said a transfer could change his mind.

I think this is all a formality.

Marillac

« Reply #338 on: April 14, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »

Sampson is not a winning player. His loss doesnt bother me. Score 12, give up 15.

Excellent post. 
If missing the front ends of one-and-ones counted as a turnover, he'd have the worst A:TO ratio out there. Sampson-Pointer-Sanchez were the most unclutch players I've ever seen. 

« Reply #339 on: April 14, 2014, 11:03:33 AM »

Excellent post. 
If missing the front ends of one-and-ones counted as a turnover, he'd have the worst A:TO ratio out there. Sampson-Pointer-Sanchez were the most unclutch players I've ever seen. 

This team is not talented enough to lose good players. Was Sampson a complete player, no but he was one of our top 3 players and he will not be adequately replaced.