What could happen...

• 373 replies

goredmen

Re: What could happen...
« Reply #320 on: March 27, 2015, 02:22:39 PM »
The people concerned about if Mullin could be successful without any head coaching experience have obviously not been following how good of a program Iowa State has become with Fred Hoiberg

Again as I said for every Fred Hoiberg you get a Clyde Drexler (Houston), Sidney Lowe (NC St) or Eddie Jordan (Rutgers).

I am not saying Chris can't win just like the Hurley's but there is risk, don't pretend there isn't.

If you remember when Monasch fired Norm he said his next hire had to be a coach with experience and specifically a coach who has brought his teams to the NCAA's.  I assume we are not necessarily using that criteria anymore if in indeed Lavin is fired and Chris is hired.

That's right. The concern about Mullin's abilities due to his lack of experience is silly though as it's been proven that former NBA players and front office guys can return to their alma mater and be successful as evidenced by Hoiberg's success. Obviously not every coach that does this is successful nor is any coach promotoed from assistant to head coach, a coach that moves up a conference, or a coach that comes straight from ESPN. Any coach we hire, including Mullin, will have some risk associated with him, but keeping Lavin is a major risk/gamble as well

Again, you always have to throw out Lavin's name when making your argument.  Fordham never mentioned Lavin. 

It may be a risk to retain Lavin, but it is more of a risk with Mullin.     

It's snowing outdoors.... 

goredmen: I hate to have to go out and shovel my sidewalk.  I wonder if Lavin is shoveling his (sidewalk).  I bet he isn't doing anything (to his sidewalk).

This whole topic is about Lavin and the direction of the program should he be let go. If Norm was still our coach and we were a combined 10-50 over the past 2 seasons nobody would be concerned about Mullin's lack of experience, they would all be in favor of hiring him right away. The only reason people are concerned about Mullin's lack of experience is because they fear that may be what causes him to not be an improvement over Lavin.

And I disagree that Mullin is more of a risk than Lavin. Lavin has done nothing to show me that these next 5 years will be BETTER than these past 5 years which were very mediocre

You always find a way to bring Lavin into the conversation.  There was a reason boo said to this to you the other day....

Lavin is in your head brother..  You need to take a walk around the block.. You sound disturbed, honestly.

Did Lavin step on your shoe and didn't say, "excuse me?"   

There are 50 active threads on this board about Lavin but when I bring him up apparently I'm disturbed, ok.

« Reply #321 on: March 27, 2015, 02:25:38 PM »
done

Roger Rubin @RogRubin
Steve Lavin will be replaced as St. John’s basketball coach, the school announced.

« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2015, 02:26:13 PM »
The people concerned about if Mullin could be successful without any head coaching experience have obviously not been following how good of a program Iowa State has become with Fred Hoiberg

Again as I said for every Fred Hoiberg you get a Clyde Drexler (Houston), Sidney Lowe (NC St) or Eddie Jordan (Rutgers).

I am not saying Chris can't win just like the Hurley's but there is risk, don't pretend there isn't.

If you remember when Monasch fired Norm he said his next hire had to be a coach with experience and specifically a coach who has brought his teams to the NCAA's.  I assume we are not necessarily using that criteria anymore if in indeed Lavin is fired and Chris is hired.

That's right. The concern about Mullin's abilities due to his lack of experience is silly though as it's been proven that former NBA players and front office guys can return to their alma mater and be successful as evidenced by Hoiberg's success. Obviously not every coach that does this is successful nor is any coach promotoed from assistant to head coach, a coach that moves up a conference, or a coach that comes straight from ESPN. Any coach we hire, including Mullin, will have some risk associated with him, but keeping Lavin is a major risk/gamble as well

Again, you always have to throw out Lavin's name when making your argument.  Fordham never mentioned Lavin. 

goredmen: I hate to have to go out and shovel my sidewalk.  I wonder if Lavin is shoveling his (sidewalk).  I bet he isn't doing anything (to his sidewalk).

This whole topic is about Lavin and the direction of the program should he be let go. If Norm was still our coach and we were a combined 10-50 over the past 2 seasons nobody would be concerned about Mullin's lack of experience, they would all be in favor of hiring him right away. The only reason people are concerned about Mullin's lack of experience is because they fear that may be what causes him to not be an improvement over Lavin.

And I disagree that Mullin is more of a risk than Lavin. Lavin has done nothing to show me that these next 5 years will be BETTER than these past 5 years which were very mediocre

You always find a way to bring Lavin into the conversation.  There was a reason boo said to this to you the other day....

Lavin is in your head brother..  You need to take a walk around the block.. You sound disturbed, honestly.

There are 50 active threads on this board about Lavin but when I bring him up apparently I'm disturbed, ok.

lol, Nah, man....  I don't think you're disturbed.  I think you're too emotionally invested in what Lavin does or doesn't do (hence, why you have to mention his name when it's not even particularly warranted).

You may get your wish later. 

« Reply #323 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:17 PM »
done

Roger Rubin @RogRubin
Steve Lavin will be replaced as St. John’s basketball coach, the school announced.

Okay....  Now, that's out of the way.  They need to bring in someone who may be able to keep the commitments and possibly, retain Jordan and Obekpa.  Don't drag their feet, either. 

« Reply #324 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:33 PM »
jeffborzello Jeff Borzello
St. John's and Steve Lavin have mutually agreed to part ways, per the school.

goredmen

« Reply #325 on: March 27, 2015, 02:29:55 PM »

lol, Nah, man....  I don't think you're disturbed.  I think you're too emotionally invested in what Lavin does or doesn't do (hence, why you have to mention his name when it's not even particularly warranted).

You may get your wish later. 

Already did :)   With that said, lets not strike out on this hire

sju89tr

« Reply #326 on: March 27, 2015, 02:31:34 PM »
Glad it is over

Part of me is sad for Lavin

With that said, we deserve a better basketball program

« Reply #327 on: March 27, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »
ESPNDanaOneil Dana O'Neil
St Johns announces Steve Lavin out as head coach. Mutually agree to part ways

SJUFAN

« Reply #328 on: March 27, 2015, 02:34:30 PM »
Go get Gregg Marshall

« Reply #329 on: March 27, 2015, 02:35:52 PM »
Was it about the  :)$$

goredmen

« Reply #330 on: March 27, 2015, 02:36:44 PM »
Go get Gregg Marshall

LOL. I wish but that will never happen in a million years

« Reply #331 on: March 27, 2015, 02:37:45 PM »
Either Hurley or Mullin, no way Marshall is coming here.

« Reply #332 on: March 27, 2015, 02:38:25 PM »

That's the way they want it portrayed. But who cares, it's done

paultzman

« Reply #333 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:18 PM »
done

Roger Rubin @RogRubin

Okay....  Now, that's out of the way.  They need to bring in someone who may be able to keep the commitments and possibly, retain Jordan and Obekpa.  Don't drag their feet, either. 
Hear you Dink. Don't think they will. We'll see.
Good luck to Lavin.

« Reply #334 on: March 27, 2015, 02:39:43 PM »

Who is the  they?

« Reply #335 on: March 27, 2015, 02:43:43 PM »

Who is the  they?

Both parties.

I would guess( I can't say "heard", too many feelings get hurt), that he got low balled to a point that he made a scene

« Reply #336 on: March 27, 2015, 02:46:13 PM »

Who is the  they?

Both parties.

I would guess( I can't say "heard", too many feelings get hurt), that he got low balled to a point that he made a scene
would you guess no increase in salary, decrease, or 1 year buyout throughout?

« Reply #337 on: March 27, 2015, 02:47:52 PM »
Either Hurley or Mullin, no way Marshall is coming here.
if boosters ponied up 4Mil per, Marshall would come running. Not saying that has even a 0.001% chance, but money will talk. He might take Alabama for 3.5 Mil/yr
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 02:48:47 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #338 on: March 27, 2015, 02:48:04 PM »

Who is the  they?

Both parties.

I wouldn't guess on that

« Reply #339 on: March 27, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »

Who is the  they?

Both parties.

I wouldn't guess on that
and it'll never leak out.