Can this team be top 5 in BE next year?

• 48 replies
Can this team be top 5 in BE next year?
« on: May 01, 2015, 10:07:04 PM »
What do you guys think?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Can this team be top 5 in BE next year?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
I say between 5-7

paultzman

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 10:13:43 PM »
A PG away from that I believe. Get Mussini or LoVett  & perhaps.

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:13:53 PM »
What do you guys think?

If we get Larrier and a top PG like Mussini then why not, Maui would be step one.  I really really want KU and Diallo.

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 10:17:58 PM »

IF we get Mussini, I don't think he's that big a factor next year

goredmen

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 10:18:12 PM »
What do you guys think?

If we get Larrier and a top PG like Mussini then why not, Maui would be step one.  I really really want KU and Diallo.

Larrier can't play next year
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 10:19:10 PM by goredmen »

goredmen

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 10:18:45 PM »

Agreed. People overestimate Freshmen too much

TONYD3

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 10:20:28 PM »
I think Jordan is going to be great next year. So yes I think we can be top 5.

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 10:29:44 PM »
It depends on Rysheed  and the output of Durand Johnson and Darien Williams.

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 10:29:54 PM »
New coach and a few too many question marks for me to say yes to us being a top 5 BE team this year. What I like is that we do have experience, are bigger, and have more depth. That gives me hope.

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
Top 3.

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 10:40:41 PM »
people forget Mussini played in a pro type league already vs good competition. he wont be a deer in the headlights

MCNPA

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2015, 10:52:32 PM »
Top 3.

I second.  Top 3.  We will surprise everybody.  We are very big, have lots of shooters, plenty of experienced players and will land 2 more ballers.  I'm good with everybody underestimating.  2 starters back, Durand is equal to any starter we have had.  Our new talent doesn't have the weaknesses of the past.  We won't lack height nor shooting.  Top 3-4.  I think picture will be clearer when we land next two which will probably be Larrier and a PG.

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2015, 11:07:07 PM »
Top 3.

I second.  Top 3.  We will surprise everybody.  We are very big, have lots of shooters, plenty of experienced players and will land 2 more ballers.  I'm good with everybody underestimating.  2 starters back, Durand is equal to any starter we have had.  Our new talent doesn't have the weaknesses of the past.  We won't lack height nor shooting.  Top 3-4.  I think picture will be clearer when we land next two which will probably be Larrier and a PG.

My top 3 prediction hinges on whether or not we land Mussini or another solid guard who can score. But, regardless, I think we will at least be competitive.

goredmen

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 11:20:51 PM »
I hope we can be top 3-4 but I think we are still weak at a guard position. If Sheed is playing point we are weak at the 2 and vice versa. I don't expect a freshman (Ellison or Mussini) to have a bigtime impact starting as a freshman. I think our best bet at that position for the upcoming season is M'Vouika. If he seriously contributes then we can definitely surprise people

desco80

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2015, 12:06:08 AM »
I agree with Baldi.  5-7.
We were fifth the last two seasons and that was with a ton of veterans and experience.  I think Mullin even as a first year head coach offers us a step up in strategy and stability in leadership, but that won't be enough in its own.

I think getting to the tournament is an excellent goal for this team, and if they make it to the bubble but fall short I wouldn't call that a disappointment.

Marillac

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2015, 12:14:25 AM »

Agreed. People overestimate Freshmen too much

I agree on the freshmen aspect, but we currently have a big deficiency at PG.  You can't go into the season with a combo guard and a few forwards that have played some point before college.  I'm not worried, because there is no way the staff doesn't fill the spot with someone. 

As for top five, yeah, I think we can do it.  Nova, Butler, and Gtown will be 1-2-3 and likely all top 25 teams (Butler and Nova top 15).  There is a fall off after that to the second tier...probably us and Xavier.  The third tier is likely SH, Providence, and Marquette.  Edge to Providence for having a way better PG than the other two. 
If I had to guess now:  Nova-Butler-Gtown-SJU-Xavier-Providence-Marquette-SH-Creighton-Depaul

Marillac

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2015, 12:27:04 AM »
We were fifth the last two seasons and that was with a ton of veterans and experience.  I think Mullin even as a first year head coach offers us a step up in strategy and stability in leadership, but that won't be enough in its own.

I think getting to the tournament is an excellent goal for this team, and if they make it to the bubble but fall short I wouldn't call that a disappointment.

Six or seven would be very disappointing IMO.  Besides us, there are four solid tournament teams going in (Nova, Butler, Gtown, and  to a lesser degree, Xavier).  The next tier is young and lacking somewhere.  Providence will be starting four underclassmen.  Marquette will only have one senior in the main rotation and will likely be starting two freshmen--without a proven PG. SH doesn't have a proven PG and will be starting at least four underclassmen. 

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2015, 12:43:36 AM »
Barring a Rysheed Injury, yes.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

desco80

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2015, 12:52:51 AM »

Six or seven would be very disappointing IMO.  Besides us, there are four solid tournament teams going in (Nova, Butler, Gtown, and  to a lesser degree, Xavier).  The next tier is young and lacking somewhere.  Providence will be starting four underclassmen.  Marquette will only have one senior in the main rotation and will likely be starting two freshmen--without a proven PG. SH doesn't have a proven PG and will be starting at least four underclassmen.

I think you're sleeping on Marquette, but on second thought you may be right that 7 is low and probably would qualify as a disappointment. 
Better stated, I think we'll be 4-6.   4 a good year, 5 about what I expect, and 6 just below that.   
I think adding another guard who can contribute right away though would go a long way toward making 4 or 5th more likely.   And I actually don't see a big difference whether rysheed is pg or sg in title.  Add missing/Lovett or carter ...either way find a guard who can contribute.