Predictions:

• 137 replies
Re: Predictions:
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2013, 08:14:17 PM »
I like Poison's predictions.  The only major thing I would predict, which will probably be unpopular here, is that by mid-season GG will be seeing much more playing time.  I think he was better than we tend to remember even with all his flaws and I haven't forgotten the feeling I had during that Harkless year that he was never able to be himself on the court, having to play tentatively on D.  I remember him flying up and down the court.  I think the competitive tension for playing time will bring out his best in practice and games.  I remember reading or hearing somewhere that at each stage of his development, going all the way back to Nigeria, he tends to start out as an afterthought and ends up rising to the top.  As I said, my hunch about GG will be unpopular but on the other hand everyone would be happy of course if he really were able to elevate his game and be a solid contributor.

I think Jones will have to wait another year to see regular playing time, I don't see him getting off the bench much.  I think Bourgault has found a permanent spot on the bench.  Greene's numbers plummet but I don't think he'd be redshirted.  Balamou absolutely should be redshirted.  He is the enigma I love, so much athleticism, and he'll benefit from staying hungry and continuing to learn without burning up eligibility.

I'm a total homer, but I think we finish in the top 3 in the conference.  A sweet 16 sounds about right.

I was thinking gods gift would get some quality burn up until the Europe trip. He didn't get much playing time there. It's tough when Jakarr, Sanchez, and Chris will all get close to 25.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 11:08:46 PM »
I like Poison's predictions.  The only major thing I would predict, which will probably be unpopular here, is that by mid-season GG will be seeing much more playing time.  I think he was better than we tend to remember even with all his flaws and I haven't forgotten the feeling I had during that Harkless year that he was never able to be himself on the court, having to play tentatively on D.  I remember him flying up and down the court.  I think the competitive tension for playing time will bring out his best in practice and games.  I remember reading or hearing somewhere that at each stage of his development, going all the way back to Nigeria, he tends to start out as an afterthought and ends up rising to the top.  As I said, my hunch about GG will be unpopular but on the other hand everyone would be happy of course if he really were able to elevate his game and be a solid contributor.

I think Jones will have to wait another year to see regular playing time, I don't see him getting off the bench much.  I think Bourgault has found a permanent spot on the bench.  Greene's numbers plummet but I don't think he'd be redshirted.  Balamou absolutely should be redshirted.  He is the enigma I love, so much athleticism, and he'll benefit from staying hungry and continuing to learn without burning up eligibility.

I'm a total homer, but I think we finish in the top 3 in the conference.  A sweet 16 sounds about right.

People see GG's stats and think he'll enjoy the similar success.  Remember, Amir Garrett came in as a SF with two weeks of college experience and started over him--a guy with two years of JUCO, 7 months of prep in residence at STJ, and a half season worth of practices and games.   Who knows how better he got over the last year and a half, but I wouldn't expect more than 5-10  mpg for GG unless there is an injury or foul trouble.

I am excited for the depth and experience that GG will be able to provide, but minutes will be TOUGH.  Sanchez cures so many ills the team suffers from with his skill in nearly every facet of the game. Obekpa is the premier shot-blocker in the country and our tallest player.  Sampson is the reigning Big East ROY and our best rebounder. 

Tiznow

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 11:23:12 PM »
December 15th will be the biggest day for the program in 10 years, because we are going to wax Syracuse and send them back to the border with their heads down.

This is the year that Lavin's celebrity is going to make his mark in NY. I won't be surprised to see us on the back page of the city daily's from January to March. I forsee us being a top 25 team and predict us to lose only 1 OOC game, San Fran.

I think we're going to make a statement in South Dakota and we will be a Big East juggernaut throughout the conference season, winning multiple road games.

My brother and I are traveling to Butler this year for our annual road game, and we are confidently expecting to leave happy.

24-7, 12-1 non conf, 12-6 BE. Sir will be BEDPOY, D and Jak will make 1st team, and I think we'll be champs. Sweet 16 in my eyes, we're loaded!

Btw...I'm not sweating 2014-15, I think the staff is letting this roster do all of the recruiting needed for them this year.

I agree

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2013, 01:17:44 PM »
5 predictions that I know will come true:

(1) We finish higher than the pre season "experts" predict us to.
(2) We win at least one or two we are "not supposed to win" AND lose at least one we are "not supposed to lose".
(3) Our members can't agree to at least an 80% consensus when it comes to lineups.
(4) Harrison gets mad at someone during a game for something that only he and himself understand
(5) Obekpa gets more than 4 blocks in a game.

Is this bold enough predictions for everyone?  :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2013, 01:20:08 PM by Johnny4Life »

Poison

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2013, 11:24:21 PM »
5 predictions that I know will come true:

(1) We finish higher than the pre season "experts" predict us to.
(2) We win at least one or two we are "not supposed to win" AND lose at least one we are "not supposed to lose".
(3) Our members can't agree to at least an 80% consensus when it comes to lineups.
(4) Harrison gets mad at someone during a game for something that only he and himself understand
(5) Obekpa gets more than 4 blocks in a game.

Is this bold enough predictions for everyone?  :D

#4?

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
Final-4:

Duke
Kentucky
St. Johns
Okla St
Oklahoma State
Michigan State
VCU
St. Johns

Next closest fo Final4- Memphis

Marillac

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2013, 11:55:17 PM »
Final-4:

Duke
Kentucky
St. Johns
Okla St
Oklahoma State
Michigan State
VCU
St. Johns

Next closest fo Final4- Memphis

Takes a lot of balls to predict St. John's as a Final Four team. Luckily you have them.

LJSA

« Reply #47 on: September 16, 2013, 02:20:42 AM »

Takes a lot of balls to predict St. John's as a Final Four team. Luckily you have them.

ace ventura - einhorn is a man

« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2013, 06:03:32 PM »
In memory of CR Green I would like to give what would most likely have been his prediction.

A National Championship

paultzman

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2013, 01:37:13 PM »
“@GoodmanESPN: @JasonKingESPN I agree St. John's has the most talent, but could still finish behind Marquette, G'Town, Nova, Creighton, Xavier and Prov.”

“@GoodmanESPN: @JasonKingESPN I'd probably have St. John's somewhere around fifth in the league. Toughest league in America to rank.”

QuanMan

« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2013, 12:35:57 PM »
I seem to be in the minority, but I think that Harrison is going to be in the running for National Player of the Year.

If the team wins 20+ regular season games, makes a run for a BE title, and has an extended March run, Harrison will be at the forefront of it.

His step back last year has hidden his phenomenal stats thus far as a Johnnie. I expect him to be even more dynamic and explosive with a year of maturity and added weapons.

If Harrison averages 20ppg and we're a top25 team, what's prohibiting him from being a Naismith candidate? He's just as valuable to us as McDermott is to Creighton IMO.
Section 3
Section 116

Poison

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2013, 01:36:01 PM »
I seem to be in the minority, but I think that Harrison is going to be in the running for National Player of the Year.

If the team wins 20+ regular season games, makes a run for a BE title, and has an extended March run, Harrison will be at the forefront of it.

His step back last year has hidden his phenomenal stats thus far as a Johnnie. I expect him to be even more dynamic and explosive with a year of maturity and added weapons.

If Harrison averages 20ppg and we're a top25 team, what's prohibiting him from being a Naismith candidate? He's just as valuable to us as McDermott is to Creighton IMO.

We all hope that by mid season he's added to the Naismith list. That will require even more improvement. Hopefully the maturity we've heard about is accurate.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:57:24 PM by jumpinjohnny »

« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2013, 03:03:44 PM »
If we wind up at the Big Dance and win two games there I will be deliriously happy.

If we go beyond that I am likely to (involuntarily) join cr.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:04:29 PM by qcredman »

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2013, 09:32:27 AM »
Who do people think will start at PG: Greene, Branch, or Jordan?

Foad

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »

If Greene starts at PG we are intercoursed.

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2013, 10:07:53 AM »

Branch.

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2013, 10:11:12 AM »
I precict that Phil Green leads the nation in Cricling the court. 

« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2013, 10:26:01 AM »
Jordan.

I think the starting five eventually becomes Jordan, Harrison, Sampson, Sanchez, and then either Pointer or Obekpa depending on matchups.
It really won't matter though, as I see this team doing a lot more pressing and trapping, and that by it's very nature, means more substituions, so plenty of guys will get time.

« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »
So many options.  OUr depth is scary.  I predict different lineups based on opponent.  Would also keep the troops motivated if they know they can start every once in a while.

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:30 AM »
So many options.  OUr depth is scary.  I predict different lineups based on opponent.  Would also keep the troops motivated if they know they can start every once in a while.

That's the Bobby V strategy.  Not sure if I like it unless it is more like Joe Ma in Tampa then I do.