Predictions:

• 137 replies

ras

Re: Predictions:
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2013, 11:26:43 AM »
I would be very surprised if  Jorden wasn't starting by 2nd semester.

desco80

« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2013, 12:15:15 PM »
If Sanchez and Jordan are as good as advertised then I think there's a chance we have a more or less set rotation by the end of December/January.  Otherwise I think our rotation will be in flux all season.
And that's because all our options are pretty close talent wise, and while we each might have preferences over who should play slightly more.. it's splitting hairs.
Should Dom come off the bench?   Does Obekpa play 23 or 28 minutes?   

That all changes if Orlando and Rhysheed assert themselves.  If their play is so good that it forces coach to play both of them 30minutes a night, then our lineups become a lot more stable. 

« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2013, 02:50:41 PM »
I was initially thinking:

Branch , Harrison, Pointer, Sampson, Obekpa starting line up.  But jordan may start by BE play.

It's interesting because it seems like the best two players in theory are Sampson and Sanchez who both seem to be 4's to me. Can Sanchez play the 5? Don't think Sampson can play the 3.

« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2013, 03:17:37 PM »

Branch , Harrison, Pointer, Sampson, Obekpa starting line up.  But jordan may start by BE play.

It's interesting because it seems like the best two players in theory are Sampson and Sanchez who both seem to be 4's to me. Can Sanchez play the 5? Don't think Sampson can play the 3.

Yea Sanchez can play the 5, especially considering what we are used to. I'm not sold on Sampson being a 3, can't shoot it well enough but teams can get by playing three big men, just have to set a lot of pics and crash the hell out of the boards. 

Also, I think  Harrison is our best player but I'm positive he's at least one of our top two players.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 03:18:51 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

MCNPA

« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2013, 03:23:32 PM »

I think that Sanchez is more of a 3/4.  He can probably play the 5 against teams that aren't real big, but I don't think it's his natural position.  He has range to 3 on his jumper and an excellent handle in the open court.  Also an excellent passer at his size.  Sampson had range to right before the 3-pt line, but was a scrawny freshman.  I hope he has improved his handle and shooting and maybe show more skills as a wing player.  Will have to give some time to see which guys fit in, but we do have some wing players like Hooper and Bourgault aside from Dom, and a 6'4"+ guard like Jordsn could grab some time at wing in a 3-guard lineup, although I think he'd be best as a PG.

We really can run a ton of different looks depending on who we are playing. 

desco80

« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »

I think that Sanchez is more of a 3/4.  He can probably play the 5 against teams that aren't real big, but I don't think it's his natural position.  He has range to 3 on his jumper and an excellent handle in the open court.  Also an excellent passer at his size.  Sampson had range to right before the 3-pt line, but was a scrawny freshman.  I hope he has improved his handle and shooting and maybe show more skills as a wing player.  Will have to give some time to see which guys fit in, but we do have some wing players like Hooper and Bourgault aside from Dom, and a 6'4"+ guard like Jordsn could grab some time at wing in a 3-guard lineup, although I think he'd be best as a PG.

I agree that Orlando's skill set defines him as a 3/4, but I'd be pretty surprised if he's not our starting center in name at least.
   I think Sanchez/Sampson are our starting front court.  Call one a center, call them both power forwards... however we label it, they'll be the two biggest guys who start the game and play the most minutes. 

« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2013, 04:37:44 PM »

Yea Sanchez can play the 5, especially considering what we are used to. I'm not sold on Sampson being a 3, can't shoot it well enough but teams can get by playing three big men, just have to set a lot of pics and crash the hell out of the boards. 

Also, I think  Harrison is our best player but I'm positive he's at least one of our top two players.

I'm really biased against Harrison due to his poor performances against Georgetown.

Poison

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2013, 04:46:52 PM »

I'm really biased against Harrison due to his poor performances against Georgetown.

Didn't he drop 27 at Georgetown as a freshman?

« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2013, 05:01:08 PM »

*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #69 on: October 15, 2013, 05:04:40 PM »

Screw him. He sucks.

desco80

« Reply #70 on: October 15, 2013, 06:48:58 PM »
Hoyahooligan obviously has a short term memory, but in fairness to him Dlo has been awful in 3 of his 4 games against gtown.    A combined 3 for 22 shooting in the 2 games last season.   And as a frosh, yes he had the 24 pt game, but in the game in DC he was 1-12.

I want him to do well this season too, but Hoya isn't wrong,   

Moose

« Reply #71 on: October 15, 2013, 06:50:02 PM »
Hoyahooligan obviously has a short term memory, but in fairness to him Dlo has been awful in 3 of his 4 games against gtown.    A combined 3 for 22 shooting in the 2 games last season.   And as a frosh, yes he had the 24 pt game, but in the game in DC he was 1-12.

That's fine and all but he's averaged how many points per game in his two years.  Just because he plays bad against 1 team is pretty short sighted, no?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #72 on: October 15, 2013, 08:43:00 PM »

That's fine and all but he's averaged how many points per game in his two years.  Just because he plays bad against 1 team is pretty short sighted, no?

He's just not that efficient. Lots of St. John's fans were comparing him with Cotton of Providence last year as they were competing for the scoring title but Cotton was much more efficient in his scoring and I think clearly the better player.

Harrison: ORtg: 102.8 eFG% 46.8% TS% 52% 3pt% 31.5% 2pt% 46.4% FT% 76.9% none of his stats in the top 500
Cotton:    ORtg: 123.3 (32nd) eFG% 54.7%(229th) TS% 59.3%(146th) 3pt% 36.4% 2pt% 54.8% FT% 79.3%

I just think Harrison is overrated. I don't see him as an NBA player as some fans believe. He's not a bad player, but coupled with his attitude problems I feel like if he's your best player and leader then you're not going to have a very good team.  3 out of 4 games against the Hoyas he's been terrible. That's going to bias your view of a kid it's just human nature. Just like when a kid lights up your team every year you're going to hold him in higher regard regardless of what he does against other teams.

MCNPA

« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2013, 09:08:36 PM »

He's just not that efficient. Lots of St. John's fans were comparing him with Cotton of Providence last year as they were competing for the scoring title but Cotton was much more efficient in his scoring and I think clearly the better player.

Harrison: ORtg: 102.8 eFG% 46.8% TS% 52% 3pt% 31.5% 2pt% 46.4% FT% 76.9% none of his stats in the top 500
Cotton:    ORtg: 123.3 (32nd) eFG% 54.7%(229th) TS% 59.3%(146th) 3pt% 36.4% 2pt% 54.8% FT% 79.3%

I just think Harrison is overrated. I don't see him as an NBA player as some fans believe. He's not a bad player, but coupled with his attitude problems I feel like if he's your best player and leader then you're not going to have a very good team.  3 out of 4 games against the Hoyas he's been terrible. That's going to bias your view of a kid it's just human nature. Just like when a kid lights up your team every year you're going to hold him in higher regard regardless of what he does against other teams.

He hasn't been super efficient,  but he has been a young and immature kid on a young team.  He's a much more talented scorer than people realize.  He might not be an NBA player but there aren't many more dangerous scorers than D'Angelo when he's on.  He needs to work on consistently taking better shots and his maturity.  He also hasnt been blessed with real good PG play nor big guys who could take pressure off him.  I'm hoping we see an improved Harrison this season in many ways.  Don't underestimate him based on the recent performances vs Georgetown though.  I think he's got lots of good games left, but now the difference is that he's surrounded by more talent.

Moose

« Reply #74 on: October 15, 2013, 09:22:59 PM »

Nobody here will ever tell you he was efficient.
If you have watched our team the past 2 years you will know the issues we've had and how he has chosen to combat them.
How do you see the conference shaking out?  At least how do you see the top half?
Remember who broke the Slice news

Foad

« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2013, 09:27:13 PM »
I feel like if he's your best player and leader then you're not going to have a very good team.

I feel like you're an Imbecile.

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
I feel like if he's your best player and leader then you're not going to have a very good team.

I feel like you're an Imbecile.
     Damn it for once you are right!

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:21 PM »

I don't think Sanchez has a prayer of guarding athletic wings.  At the college level. he's a really skilled four man that can  easily play the five with his size, strength, rebounding and shot-blocking ability. True centers in college basketball are a dying breed, and we haven't had a true center in  a long time at St. John's.  Sanchez could very likely be the most skilled five in the country this season.  Offensively, he has very good perimeter skills that will really hurt opponents guarding him man-to-man.  It's tough to imagine centers staying with him out there, and I hope this is something St. John's takes advantage of often with the new rule changes.  I wouldn't mind running the offensive though Sanchez.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 09:34:09 AM by Marillac »

Poison

« Reply #78 on: October 15, 2013, 11:54:25 PM »

The NBA is one big bad attitude. That isn't the reason why he wouldn't be successful. Cotton, for all we know, may turn out to be the better player. I'm personally skeptical of all of Prov's scorers, because it seems like every year, they score a ton of points, and give up a ton more.

In regards to Harrison's performance vs Georgetown, I'm not concerned about it. Georgetown has been one of the better teams in the BE, but I don't think we can look at these games and take much away. Harrison played without much self control last year, but he also played with almost no offensive help on the perimeter, and only one guy, a freshman inside. Cotton had a lot more to work with. He had experience around him, and he had shooters.

Harrison had two guys on him at all times. It's not an apples to apples comparison.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 12:32:42 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2013, 09:46:14 AM »
Harrison is better than Cotton.  Cotton shared the back court with senior,Vince Council, and a top 25 freshman, Dunn.  He had the benefit of Ladontae Henton--Marillac is a huge fan--that can hit from the outisde and score inside.  He also had Batts to score down low.  Cotton attempted 8.4 treys a game!  The kid only made 2.9 two-point fg's a game, and those were mainly on fast breaks and after a few dribbles after defenders closed out on him recklessly on the perimeter.  Harrison is much more skilled and versatile. 

Cotton is a gunner...one dimensional.