Predictions:

• 137 replies
Re: Predictions:
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2013, 11:28:32 AM »
JT3 and his father have a history of shutting down star players.  See Mullin many years ago.  Only way to combat that is having multiple threats.  DLo isn't afraid to shoot but I think he'll also be smart enough to distribute the ball rather than force things this year.  If that works we can be pretty good playing team ball which is the key to the year.

jayro

« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2013, 11:56:58 AM »
Greene probably won't start, but if he is healthy I think he will surprise a lot of people.  He played hurt much of last season and I think that held him back and led him to under perform.  Just MHO.

desco80

« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2013, 12:05:29 PM »
Hoyahooligan obviously has a short term memory, but in fairness to him Dlo has been awful in 3 of his 4 games against gtown.    A combined 3 for 22 shooting in the 2 games last season.   And as a frosh, yes he had the 24 pt game, but in the game in DC he was 1-12.

I want him to do well this season too, but Hoya isn't wrong,   

That's fine and all but he's averaged how many points per game in his two years.  Just because he plays bad against 1 team is pretty short sighted, no?

No, you're right, playing poorly against 1 team doesn't mean he's not a good player, by any means.   I was just saying it wasn't completely wrong what Hoyahooligan said, that he had a biased view of him because Harrison had bad games against gtown.   That actually makes sense in light of the numbers, that's all. 

But in the larger picture it's hard to deny Harrison's talent, or importance to this team

paultzman

« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2013, 08:02:07 PM »
“@BigEastDaily: Big East Season Preview: St. John's Red Storm http://www.snsanalytics.com/pywuy3

« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2013, 09:19:54 PM »
“@BigEastDaily: Big East Season Preview: St. John's Red Storm http://www.snsanalytics.com/pywuy3
Yeah, sure hope hooper can continue to drain 3's like he did in the Ivy League (in all of his 4 minutes in 2 games)! LOL

paultzman

« Reply #85 on: October 28, 2013, 06:00:34 PM »
Nice!

“@jeffborzello: The team outside the top 25 with the highest ceiling this season? I'm going with St. John's: http://cbsprt.co/1avBquo #sjubb”

« Reply #86 on: October 28, 2013, 06:22:09 PM »
Nice!

“@jeffborzello: The team outside the top 25 with the highest ceiling this season? I'm going with St. John's: http://cbsprt.co/1avBquo #sjubb”

"In fact, it’s not a stretch to say that this is the most talented team Steve Lavin has had since arriving at St. John’s"

Lol nor is that statement.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Poison

« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2013, 07:01:58 PM »
JT3 and his father have a history of shutting down star players.  See Mullin many years ago.  Only way to combat that is having multiple threats.  DLo isn't afraid to shoot but I think he'll also be smart enough to distribute the ball rather than force things this year.  If that works we can be pretty good playing team ball which is the key to the year.

I think he has to force things last year. No one else could hit a 3 pointer. I'm surprised that he is getting such little respect just because he was a behavior problem last year. That's the NBA. One big behavior problem. He should be considered one of the top 3 players in the conference right now.

Marillac

« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2013, 07:24:10 PM »
Nice!

Providence is gettin seriously overlooked. 

Dunn
Cotton
Austin
Henton
Batts

Geez.

Moose

« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »
Nice!

Dunn
Cotton
Austin
Henton
Batts

Geez.

Marillac = ShurinaCheese?
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #90 on: October 28, 2013, 07:37:26 PM »
 ::)tyler harris is also a player

Marillac

« Reply #91 on: October 28, 2013, 08:21:16 PM »
Nice!

Dunn
Cotton
Austin
Henton
Batts

Geez.

Hahahaha...take a look at some of my responses to Shurina over the last two years to prove that one wrong! 
I just feel Providence crept up on everyone. Cotton comes out of nowhwere two years ago and the evevates it again last year.  Batts becomes a player last year.  Dunn was a big time recruit that did just enough to let people forget about his potential.  Henton is a potential all-league pick that had a bit of a sophomore slump.  They also quietly have two top transfers ready to play this year.  The cherry on the top is Brandon Austin, who everyone on the St. John's boards knows Iove.   

It really comes down to whether the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  They 5 guys that can go for 25 points or more any given night. 

« Reply #92 on: October 28, 2013, 08:39:22 PM »
Nice!

Dunn
Cotton
Austin
Henton
Batts

Geez.

Hahahaha...take a look at some of my responses to Shurina over the last two years to prove that one wrong! 
I just feel Providence crept up on everyone. Cotton comes out of nowhwere two years ago and the evevates it again last year.  Batts becomes a player last year.  Dunn was a big time recruit that did just enough to let people forget about his potential.  Henton is a potential all-league pick that had a bit of a sophomore slump.  They also quietly have two top transfers ready to play this year.  The cherry on the top is Brandon Austin, who everyone on the St. John's boards knows Iove.   

It really comes down to whether the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  They 5 guys that can go for 25 points or more any given night. 
Providence was picked to be the surprise team out of the Beast in CBS predictions.

« Reply #93 on: November 07, 2013, 11:57:46 PM »
An elaborate system of charts, graphs, algorithms, tarot cards and dart throwing has led me to...

10 -3 out of conference
11 - 7 conference

21 - 10 heading into the conference tournament.  We dance people!

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2013, 12:02:45 AM »
An elaborate system of charts, graphs, algorithms, tarot cards and dart throwing has led me to...

10 -3 out of conference
11 - 7 conference

21 - 10 heading into the conference tournament.  We dance people!
LunCarmineardi. I like it :)

bk8664

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2013, 12:12:18 AM »
San Fran game notwithstanding....  I think we end up creaming a lot of teams and we end up with a #3 or #4 in the NCCAA tournament - all the while we re-capture the heart and spirit of NYC.

Foad

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2013, 10:53:55 AM »
The dawn of a new season. For many sports fans this is a time of hope. For me, a lifelong fan of among others the Detroit Lions and Saint John's Red Whatevers, it's the time right before my hopes are dashed.

If it were up to me the starting five would be: Jordan, Harrison, Pointer, Sampson and Sanchez, with various minutes spread between Branch (more) and Greene (fewer) in the back court, and Obekpa and Gift in the front court. Other than Balamou I wouldn’t care if the rest of them played a minute. But if what we saw in the pre season is any indication this won't be. Instead we'll play small, with the 1-3 spots split between the 4 true guards and Pointer. What we won't do is press all over the court 40 minutes of hell style, which certain posters bring up every year as if its even a remote possibility. Saint John’s has never played that way and Lavin's teams have never played that way and won't now. Instead I expect to see what we saw last year. On offense, a break if its there and if not a lot of pointless passing and weaving before someone tries to take someone off the dribble. On defense we'll play man half the time and get beat in various junk defenses the other half.

Regarding the new players, I've been very impressed by Jordan in a limited sample: he's the sort of guard who usually goes to Syracuse. We have not had a big agile point guard like him, well, ever. Hopefully he stays two years. Sanchez also looked good in the limited time I saw him - unlike many savants I actually have to see the players play before knowing if they can - but any talk of him starting right now for the Utah Jazz - I forget who said that last year, someone - is insane. His upside seems to be that he'll be as good as James Southerland. If he was a freshman in four years he might be as good as Billy Owens. But since he's already nearing retirement age, not. Max Hooper is Bourgault with a jump shot and less of a likelihood to collaborate with the Nazis. He might be the spot up shooter Saint John's fans have been longing for since the McIntyre brothers retired, but to my mind if our offense hinges on Hooper hitting some threes we're screwed anyway.

Of the returning players I think Harrison has a monster, first team BE sort of year. Sampson should match or slightly improve his numbers from last year, although I do worry that Lavin has him sitting out at the three point line on the wing, rather than at the foul line, where Sanchez has been installed. Pointer is a year away still from being a complete wrecking ball. Obekpa will block a bunch of shots and grin like a complete idiot at inappropriate times. I'll be interested in seeing whether his jump hook - which last year seemed designed to concuss the opposing team as it caromed off the front rim - has improved. I was impressed by GG in the exhibition games, which only reinforced what I remember from two years ago - he's big, he runs the floor well, he hustles, and he finishes around the basket. I would not be surprised if he made a significant contribution, much to the chagrin of poster Desco, who will be left to dine on crow. Better that Desco had taken the path chosen by certain other SJ fans, which is to post both good things and bad things about all the players and then two years later PLUS ONE the posts that were correct as evidence of your basketball acumen.

One area I don't expect improvement in is coaching. Lavin was a dunce last year and will be a dunce this year and next and the year after that. That means that we'll see the same - and this is me giving him the benefit of the doubt - eccentric strategies, substitutions, and use of time outs that we've seen over the past several. Don't get me wrong, sad sack Saint John's is lucky to have Lavin as head coach, but he's an imbecile.

I think we go into the BE opener vs Xavier with 2 losses: Wisconsin and Syracuse. I'm not going to pretend that I've watched enough Butler and Cretin games to make any sort of serious prediction - I don't even know what sort of creature Cretin's mascot is, although if it were up to me it'd be some sort of drooling lummox - but I figure we sweep DePaul, the Hall and possibly Stevens-less Butler and split with the rest of them, except the one team that sweeps us. My guess there is Georgetown, who seems to have our number recently.

Which puts us at about 11-7 in the BE. Don't know what place that is, maybe 5th ish, but who cares about the preseason. Add to that the 10 ridiculous cupcake wins Lavin has lined up makes about 21-9, and lets say we lose one we shouldn't have - because, you know, we are Saint John's - and that makes it 20-10.

Should be enough to make the tournament. What's the ceiling? Assuming natural maturation and with the right draw they could make the round of 16. I'd give them zero chance of advancing beyond that. Next year though, this team could contend for the title. Unfortunately this team won't be around next year.

SJUFAN

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2013, 11:33:47 AM »
If it were up to me the starting five would be: Jordan, Harrison, Pointer, Sampson and Sanchez,

I think that should be our starting five as well. I hope we see that tonight.

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2013, 11:55:14 AM »
I agree too with your starting 5.  Player assessments are pretty accurate---minus the Nazi reference.  But then, to each his own.     I'm giving us 21 reg season wins, 2 in BET and 2 in the tourney.

As for the coach.  A pretty good one once said:  You are what your record says you are.  I will paraphrase (for CBB purposes) and say:  You are what your record and recruiting say you are.  Lavin has been fairly successful on both fronts, so I will respectfully decline to accept the position that he is a total imbecile.

desco80

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2013, 03:51:15 PM »

One area I don't expect improvement in is coaching. Lavin was a dunce last year and will be a dunce this year and next and the year after that. That means that we'll see the same - and this is me giving him the benefit of the doubt - eccentric strategies, substitutions, and use of time outs that we've seen over the past several. Don't get me wrong, sad sack Saint John's is lucky to have Lavin as head coach, but he's an imbecile.

Interesting and well-thought-out critique.   On the coaching front, I think you've underestimated Hollywood to some degree.  Granted, no one will ever confuse him with a great teacher or game-manager, but I think he's been around the game long enough to identify what his team needs.  And, unlike most in his profession, he has a unique ability to connect with young men and their families, and to convince them to follow him to whatever campus he's coaching at.   It seems to me that two years ago coach looked at his team, even before Harkless departed, and identified that we had no point guard, no shooting, and lacked size.   Not everyone was immediately eligible, but he systematically went about answering those questions to the point where he now has a fully stocked cabinet at his disposal.   He brought in Branch and then jordan, signed Marco and Hooper, and answered the question of size with Obekpa and Sanchez.   
It's not a given that all coaches would be able to 1) identify the weaknesses in their program, or 2) be able to address those issues so comprehensively.

Secondly, I think we can expect an improvement in coaching because Lavin brought in Whitesell.   If you think back, when coach had a full compliment of players in 2010, he knew enough to have Dunlap by his side, and as a result he got that team to over-achieve. 
I think the same could be true this season, Lavin knows enough to know his limitations.  And, last season he wasn't getting the x's and o's help he needed to make the program successful.   Again, coach answered that weakness by upgrading a position in the off-season, in this case the assistant coach.

I give Lavin credit for not proverbially slamming his head against a wall, when something doesn't work he may not discuss it publicly, but he addresses it by bringing in new personnel.   It's my experience that most coaches believe they can fix everything themselves, they can coach the players to be better, they can do a better job recruiting, they can successfully change the game-plan themselves, etc.; and Lavin doesn't have that stubbornness.   
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 03:53:32 PM by desco80 »