Isaiah Whitehead - SG - Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY - SETON HALL

• 1472 replies

Re: Isaiah Whitehead - SG - Lincoln HS - Brooklyn, NY
« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2012, 04:08:10 PM »
Sources say #stjbb coach Steve Lavin will watch Lincoln and 2014 Isaiah Whitehead today and 6-9 JUCO F Orlando Sanchez of Monroe tonight

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria/status/159377191115833344

Moose

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2012, 04:57:19 PM »
Sources say #stjbb coach Steve Lavin will watch Lincoln and 2014 Isaiah Whitehead today and 6-9 JUCO F Orlando Sanchez of Monroe tonight

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamZagoria/status/159377191115833344

Not sure when that tweet was from but he did watch Whitehead last night at Baruch college.  So maybe same thing or maybe back to back.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »
Could be today because Whitehead plays at 5 and Sanchez at 8, both in Brooklyn.

dR3w

« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 01:53:41 PM »
http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/high-school/post/_/id/4733/rapid-reax-jefferson-beats-no-1-lincoln

Rapid Reax: Jefferson beats No. 1 Lincoln
January, 17, 2012
JAN 17
9:40
PM ET
EmailPrintComments
By Rob Abruzzese
Following Saturday's victory over Boys & Girls, Lincoln star guard Isaiah Whitehead proclaimed his team as the best in New York City.

Following an 82-77 overtime loss to Jefferson at home in Coney Island on Tuesday night, it was a different story.

"Everybody thinks they are the best team in New York and I think opposite," Jefferson's Thaddeus Hall proclaimed after the game. "We run Brooklyn. We're the best team in Brooklyn and we're the best team in the city."

Even Lincoln's head coach, Dwayne "Tiny" Morton, agreed that Whitehead's statement was premature.

"He's soft, he played like a sophomore and not like one of the top sophomores in the country," a frustrated Morton said. "He's got to stop talking (trash). Wait until the last game. That is immature talk from a sophomore."

Whitehead actually had a chance to put Lincoln up 75-72 with just 22 seconds left when he went to the free throw line, but he missed his first shot and settled for a 74-72 lead. Jefferson's Hall hit a lay-up just 17 seconds later to tie the game at 74-74 to send it to overtime.

Jaquan Lynch led Jefferson with 21 points and played strong defense, holding Ethan Telfair to just 10 points. Hall had 17 and held Whitehead (17 points) to just three points in the second half. Patrick Brown and Kareem Johnakin each had 15.

STILL JUST A SOPHOMORE: Whitehead started out the game red hot, scoring seven of Lincoln's first 10 points and 10 of its first 18, but Morton called him soft following the game. Not only did he have just three points in the second half, but he quickly ran into foul trouble in the third quarter. When he was benched for four minutes that quarter, Hall, whom Whitehead was guarding, went on a tear, scoring a quick eight points.

LYNCH LEADS THE WAY: After trailing for most of the game, No. 6 Jefferson (13-5, 9-2 Brooklyn AA) started gaining momentum in the third quarter. Lynch hit a go-ahead jump shot with 25.3 left in the quarter. When he got the ball back shortly after that, everyone in the gym knew what was coming next -- but nobody could stop it. He hit a three to put Jefferson up 65-61 on No. 1 Lincoln (15-3, 10-1) heading into the fourth .

"Right now he is [the best shooter in the PSAL]," Jefferson head coach Bud Pollard said. "Right now he's on fire. I don't know one player in New York City that is playing better than him right now. We've seen pretty much everybody that's good and he's outplayed them all."

HALL STANDS TALL: Hall missed seven league games this year due to either academic or behavioral ineligibility, but now that he's back he may be the difference between Jefferson being a good team and possibly the best team in the city.

Hall tied the score with 4.3 seconds left in the fourth quarter to send Jefferson into overtime, and then provided some more heroics as he drew a foul and hit the free throw that put Jefferson up 82-77.

"I knew it was over when I looked over and I saw Tiny put his head down," Hall said. "After that I knew we won."

THE BIG MEN: Lincoln's big men, Tafari Whittingham and Travis Charles, get a lot of ink, but Jefferson showed that its big men, Johnakin and Edward Ogundeko, can hang right in there with them.

"I don't look at them as amazing big men," Lynch said of Lincoln's post players. "I'm just going to go strong to them, get them and foul trouble, and that's exactly what we did. Our big men stepped up a lot today. Without those final three blocks from Johnakin, I don't think we win this game."

UP NEXT: Jefferson will continue to play on the road as it heads to East New York Transit Tech to play on Thursday. Lincoln stays at home when it hosts Grady the same day.

NYCoffey

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 04:51:42 PM »
This may have been posted because the tweet is 5 days old but he was on campus probably last Friday.

?ShowtimeSJ_2014 Going up to ST.JOHNS tommrow to look around and have team practice

Moose

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2012, 06:18:32 PM »
This may have been posted because the tweet is 5 days old but he was on campus probably last Friday.

?ShowtimeSJ_2014 Going up to ST.JOHNS tommrow to look around and have team practice

That is Stanley Johnson not Whitehead

NYCoffey

« Reply #47 on: January 19, 2012, 04:06:14 AM »
My bad. Thought I was looking at Whiteheads twitter.

DFF6

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2012, 10:33:32 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0131/four-schools-on-isaiah-whitehead-the-hardest/

Of the schools recruiting him the hardest, it would have been nice to see Whitehead say SJU among them, instead of Cuse, UConn, Rutgers and Arizona.

sju89tr

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »
http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2012-0131/four-schools-on-isaiah-whitehead-the-hardest/

Of the schools recruiting him the hardest, it would have been nice to see Whitehead say SJU among them, instead of Cuse, UConn, Rutgers and Arizona.

You got to realize that the staff is so focused on 2012 right now that something has to give in regards to 13 and 14 kids at the moment.

DFF6

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2012, 11:04:29 AM »

You got to realize that the staff is so focused on 2012 right now that something has to give in regards to 13 and 14 kids at the moment.

Understood, but to your point sju89, the '13 and '14 kids probably don't care why Lavin is too focused on '12 kids--they just know that Boeheim and Calhoun are showing more interest early in the process than anyone else, and strong early impressions made by big time programs will sometimes reverberate more with recruits than a full out recruiting/wooing effort made later in the process, even if Lav is bringing his A game.    Of course, our program will not collapse if we don't get Whitehead, so I get it--need to pick your battles wisely.

kob24

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2012, 02:18:44 PM »
its gonna be hard to get him.

Moose

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »
its gonna be hard to get him.

Who would you rather focus energy on in '14?  Him or McCullough?

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2012, 02:40:19 PM »

ris

« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2012, 02:45:06 PM »
Coach Lavin feels much more confortable with West Coast/South players than NY/NJ players.

DFF6

« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »
Coach Lavin feels much more confortable with West Coast/South players than NY/NJ players.

Harkless would beg to differ.

ris

« Reply #57 on: February 02, 2012, 10:45:01 AM »

Compare (2010, 2011 and 2012 classes):

I only see three NY/NJ players with real interest from our coaches: Harkless, Kyle Anderson and Christopher Obepka. Perhaps we can add Tyler Harris.

Players from West Coast / South: Dwayne Polee, Remi Barry, Amir Garrett, Norvel Pelle, Jabari Brown, LeBryan Nash, D´Angelo Harrison, Jahii Carson, Nick Johnson, Winston Shepard, and Katin Reinhardt. Perhaps we can add Cezar Guerrero and Josiah Turner.

Moose

« Reply #58 on: February 02, 2012, 10:49:36 AM »

I only see three NY/NJ players with real interest from our coaches: Harkless, Kyle Anderson and Christopher Obepka. Perhaps we can add Tyler Harris.

Players from West Coast / South: Dwayne Polee, Remi Barry, Amir Garrett, Norvel Pelle, Jabari Brown, LeBryan Nash, D´Angelo Harrison, Jahii Carson, Nick Johnson, Winston Shepard, and Katin Reinhardt. Perhaps we can add Cezar Guerrero and Josiah Turner.

Please remove Tyler Harris from this convo.

Lavin will go after the best NYC area players each year.  Not just for the sake of it.  2011 was Harkless, 2012 was Kyle and Calhoun to a lesser extent, 2013 is Lawrence, 2014 is McCullough and Whitehead.

« Reply #59 on: February 02, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »

it's not about comfort level, it's about relationships.  his bread and butter is west coast.  lavin has deep rooted relationships, friends, admirers, etc that know Lavin very well on the westside.  west coast is low hanging fruit for him to get top notch recruits.  i would imagine, that as we win more, and he builds the local relationships (ie, sju camps, visits, etc) the same relationships he has in the west coast will start to manifest in the east. 

and by the way, i personally LOVE his approach.  get players from all over the country.  that's where Norm failed.  Norm tried to stay local and didn't win.  kids want to go away to school, especially NYC kids who feel that better situations than what they live now are available outside the city.