we're getting him.

Wods317

Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #621 on: February 02, 2016, 11:41:31 PM »

« Reply #622 on: February 03, 2016, 12:03:05 AM »

« Reply #623 on: February 03, 2016, 12:11:06 AM »
High hopes for sure I'm no insider but I think anyone who sees his activity on social media can agree.  Just choosing to be more optimistic and confident from what I have personally read into the whole situation. I'm not an insider by any means and I know his recruitment is not ending today or anything but I just honestly think we're way ahead of everyone else right now. Also wondering why so many people are so pessimistic on our chances at landing these top guys...yes our program is in the dump right now but that was fully expected. We literally had to field a team from scratch and we have an unbelievable staff right now. I think we should start getting used to unbelievable recruiting classes with Mullin, Slice, Matt A., Richmond. We're NYC's college team with dream team experience. We're gonna be dope again and I don't want to be a pessimist cause I think from here on out we're gonna love what we're gonna see. Oh and for whatever its worth (I know to a lot of you this is worth nothing and you're probably right) but I'm gonna take the optimistic route cause that crystal ball thing is up to 32% for us but 5 of those 6 picks are from the 1st through 5th top experts on the website. So if they're each right on average about 70+% of the time and they all now have him going to st. johns I'm thinking that can't be a bad sign. I say I think he is coming based more on what I see on his social media but things could change.

cjfish

« Reply #624 on: February 03, 2016, 08:00:20 AM »
agreed

ras

« Reply #625 on: February 03, 2016, 03:23:51 PM »
I think we have a descent shot. But getting him is phase 1, qualifying is phase 2. And for him to suit up as a Johnny ,you need both phases.

Moose

« Reply #626 on: February 04, 2016, 09:43:02 PM »
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #627 on: February 05, 2016, 02:48:33 PM »
Not sure if this was posted

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2015/09/11/rawle-alkins-five-star-new-york-city-word-god
Like the way he wants to represent NY and has so much family here. What better thing than to come back to NY for a year or two before heading off to the NBA and who knows where? Maybe some how ends up with Knicks or Nets if those dumb ass front offices ever reverse the trend and start acquiring draft picks instead of trading them.

desco80

« Reply #628 on: February 05, 2016, 03:34:11 PM »
Question for those who watch a lot of hs and aau ball ..... how does he compare to Whitehead and Briscoe in terms of talent and future ? 

Marillac

« Reply #629 on: February 05, 2016, 03:51:42 PM »
Question for those who watch a lot of hs and aau ball ..... how does he compare to Whitehead and Briscoe in terms of talent and future ? 

I think the biggest difference between Alkins and Briscoe compared to Whitehead is what they have mentally.  I think all three are best suited for Robin instead of Batman, but Whitehead won't consider that for a second.  It's too early to tell how he'll fair in college, but I'd expect Alkins to be a "whatever it takes" kind of player instead of one that comes in with a list of demands and is wiling to spend four year trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

FWIW, I think in a pure one-on-one scenario, Ponds would school all three. 

desco80

« Reply #630 on: February 05, 2016, 04:04:26 PM »

I think the biggest difference between Alkins and Briscoe compared to Whitehead is what they have mentally.  I think all three are best suited for Robin instead of Batman, but Whitehead won't consider that for a second.  It's too early to tell how he'll fair in college, but I'd expect Alkins to be a "whatever it takes" kind of player instead of one that comes in with a list of demands and is wiling to spend four year trying to hammer a square peg into a round hole.

That mental assessment, and willingness to be a cog in a machine is probably just as important as any physical skill.
Even the best HS kids end up being role players as pros.   And that's if they're lucky.

desco80

« Reply #631 on: February 05, 2016, 04:36:27 PM »

By the way, I generally defer to you on recruiting because I think you watch a lot more games than I do.
But I don't know how you come away thinking that Ponds is a better player one on one than Whitehead, Briscoe, or Alkins.       I don't see that.
Whitehead and Alkins especially are physical beasts.   They can go to the rim and drive through contact.  That's rare   

« Reply #632 on: February 05, 2016, 04:38:06 PM »

Take him over whitehead. Not over briscoe. Just my opinion
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #633 on: February 05, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »
In terms of pure talent, I actually like Whitehead better.  He's a little more athletic and his shot was a lot more advanced then Alkins shot is at the same stage.  The problem with Whitehead is he is somewhat immature, and I sort of mean that euphemistically.

« Reply #634 on: February 05, 2016, 05:54:06 PM »
And Alkins is a higher level talent then Ponds.  Virtually nobody "in the know" would dispute this.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 05:54:30 PM by WillieG »

« Reply #635 on: February 05, 2016, 06:30:31 PM »
Paultzman who do you think we have a better chance with Adkins, Maker or the Freeks little brother

Do you think we can get one of them

paultzman

« Reply #636 on: February 05, 2016, 06:45:23 PM »
Paultzman who do you think we have a better chance with Adkins, Maker or the Freeks little brother

Do you think we can get one of them

No clue. Moose is much closer to those three situations than me.

« Reply #637 on: February 05, 2016, 06:53:49 PM »
Thanks as always you going to the game tomorrow.

You think its going to be six against five tomorrow

chris doesn't get any respect from the refs

« Reply #638 on: February 06, 2016, 01:51:50 AM »
In terms of pure talent, I actually like Whitehead better.  He's a little more athletic and his shot was a lot more advanced then Alkins shot is at the same stage.  The problem with Whitehead is he is somewhat immature, and I sort of mean that euphemistically.

You think whitehead is more athletic than Rawle?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #639 on: February 06, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »

You think whitehead is more athletic than Rawle?

Different. Both strong as hell.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle