Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies

MCNPA

Re: Rawle Alkins
« Reply #880 on: March 08, 2016, 12:52:23 AM »
St. John's got the best player in New York. The 2nd best player never wanted to come here.

You're saying Ponds is better than Rawle?

Yes better scorer and more impactful player. Better suited for this team too.

Rawle is a very good player but I think this team is better off without him.

Insane statements, imo

Would be bad for chemistry. Don't need that.

How so? What has he done at Christ The King or Word Of God that would make you say that?

Dave actually knows these kids and covers this stuff.  Surprised you haven't figure this stuff out by now...

goredmen

« Reply #881 on: March 08, 2016, 01:02:18 AM »
St. John's got the best player in New York. The 2nd best player never wanted to come here.

Insane statements, imo

How so? What has he done at Christ The King or Word Of God that would make you say that?

Dave actually knows these kids and covers this stuff.  Surprised you haven't figure this stuff out by now...

I know that. But I also watched the kid play for 3 years at CTK and didn't see anything that would indicate him causing chemistry issues. I saw them win 3 championships with him and beat some pretty solid teams when doing so.

People said the same about Whitehead and while in year 1 it may have been a problem, he's killing it this year and has led SHU to their best season in over a decade. We aren't the Kentucky and Kansases of the world. We can't turn away 5 star kids
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 01:04:58 AM by goredmen »

Foad

« Reply #882 on: March 08, 2016, 06:32:55 AM »
Addition by subtraction.

Poison

« Reply #883 on: March 08, 2016, 07:21:19 AM »

Insane statements, imo

I know that. But I also watched the kid play for 3 years at CTK and didn't see anything that would indicate him causing chemistry issues. I saw them win 3 championships with him and beat some pretty solid teams when doing so.

People said the same about Whitehead and while in year 1 it may have been a problem, he's killing it this year and has led SHU to their best season in over a decade. We aren't the Kentucky and Kansases of the world. We can't turn away 5 star kids

Alkins wasn't turned away, he didn't want to come here.

« Reply #884 on: March 08, 2016, 08:29:20 AM »

Insane statements, imo

Every team is different as is high school from college. Rawle is tough but this team's current makeup and additions I personally never saw Rawle as adding to the dynamic. Aside from that I said from jump street there was never legit shot he came here.

As for Whitehead I was a huge supporter and fan of him. I think he is wildly mischaracterized by a lot of people because Lance was such a dope. Go ahead and look back at Whitehead thread.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #885 on: March 08, 2016, 08:49:42 AM »
Pulled this from Whitehead thread. A few of these guys turned out to be pretty good eh? I think Whitehead has played better than the names I mentioned who were ranked higher than him in HS at the time.

-2014 is thin at the top of the class. 2015 and 2016 are much deeper.

-Whitehead was probably underrated in terms of rank until right about now. He is fringe MCAA but I think he's done enough where he will be named one. A few of the voters I spoke to also agreed.

-Even right now I'd take Whitehead over kids ranked over him. I'll use ESPN for example. Blackmon, Lyle, Berry, McLaughlin, Hamilton, Perkins, Wiley, Snider, Allen, Tate, Lindsay,

-Only guard I clearly take over him is Mudiay. I'd take Jones over him. Vaughn, Johnson, Pinson, Winslow all have a a bit more physical ability that give them an edge but they're all SF which is a bit unfair to compare. I really like Devin Booker who I think his best ball is still ahead and D'Angelo Russell is one of my favorite players in the class.

Another fun antidote...

Antigua and Tiny hate each other. That office isn't big enough for the both of them

pmg911

« Reply #886 on: March 08, 2016, 08:59:59 AM »
I am glad we missed...   good luck to him...

« Reply #887 on: March 08, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
I wouldn't be glad we missed on him unless another five star replacement somehow comes on board.

The teams with the best players generally win at the end....but all of you know that.

« Reply #888 on: March 08, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
This year we have Two, maybe three  legit BE rotation players in Yakwe, Sima and hopefully Ellison. Next year adding more. You don't need the one big recruit every year but you would like to be able to get him when we are finally ready to compete.

« Reply #889 on: March 08, 2016, 10:15:33 AM »
Just curious what the board thinks.

Would Rawle have come if we won these  games-beat Fordham, NJIT, Incarnate, DePaul, Seton Hall (2nd time)., Marquette, and had upset one good team ie Georgetown /Nova/Xavier? Or was he stringing us the whole time and was heading to Arizona?

To be honest if I was him in this situation I would not have turned down Arizona, very good program with proven track record. Beautiful campus/facilities.

paultzman

« Reply #890 on: March 08, 2016, 10:30:21 AM »

Would Rawle have come if we won these  games-beat Fordham, NJIT, Incarnate, DePaul, Seton Hall (2nd time)., Marquette, and had upset one good team ie Georgetown /Nova/Xavier? Or was he stringing us the whole time and was heading to Arizona?

To be honest if I was him in this situation I would not have turned down Arizona, very good program with proven track record. Beautiful campus/facilities.

Perhaps you should tell us what you think first. :)

« Reply #891 on: March 08, 2016, 10:39:08 AM »
I know.  Was making the point that I think Durand would have been better had he had more around him and been asked to do less.

[/quote]

Johnson was a Slice recruit. Pitt connection.

It's been a rough year but decent stop gaps.
[/quote]

« Reply #892 on: March 08, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »

I think he initially pondered us, but then once he saw how the season played out and the clear interest of a great program like Arizona we had no shot.   Also easier to make argument to go  away once you were already away at prep school for a year. Maybe if he stayed would have benefited us.  Like I said if I was him I would have chosen Arizona too with the uncertainty and unproven track record of team and staff as far as coaching that is here. Playing with Ponds was probably intriguing but one cannot deny the bright lights of MSG is not a solid a marketing tool as it once was. These players care more about program infrastructure now in getting to the league.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:16:14 AM by friendofjohnnie »

« Reply #893 on: March 08, 2016, 11:16:14 AM »
This year we have Two, maybe three  legit BE rotation players in Yakwe, Sima and hopefully Ellison. Next year adding more. You don't need the one big recruit every year but you would like to be able to get him when we are finally ready to compete.

Guards- LoVett, Mussini, Ellison, Ponds
Swings- Ahmed, Freudenberg
Bigs- Sima, Yakwe, Owens, Amar

Not counting on Williams and I think Jones transfers. I envision one more swing and a 5th year transfer big bodied big. I think they could hold over a schools if they swing and miss.

« Reply #894 on: March 08, 2016, 11:17:16 AM »

I think he initially pondered us, but then once he saw how the season played out and the clear interest of a great program like Arizona we had no shot.   Also easier to make argument to go  away once you were already away at prep school for a year. Maybe if he stayed would have benefited us.  Like I said if I was him I would have chosen Arizona too with the uncertainty and unproven track record of team and staff as far as coaching that is here. Playing with Ponds was probably intriguing but one cannot deny the bright lights of MSG is not a solid a marketing tool as it once was. These players care more about program infrastructure now in getting to the league.

Bright lights of NY were #1 reason for Mussini, Yakwe, and Freudenberg.

goredmen

« Reply #895 on: March 08, 2016, 11:20:37 AM »

Insane statements, imo

Alkins wasn't turned away, he didn't want to come here.

I am aware of that but it seems like some think we shouldn't have pursued him in the first place and some are happy he didn't come here, which I think is just a certifiably insane thought

Poison

« Reply #896 on: March 08, 2016, 11:23:24 AM »

Insane statements, imo

Every team is different as is high school from college. Rawle is tough but this team's current makeup and additions I personally never saw Rawle as adding to the dynamic. Aside from that I said from jump street there was never legit shot he came here.

As for Whitehead I was a huge supporter and fan of him. I think he is wildly mischaracterized by a lot of people because Lance was such a dope. Go ahead and look back at Whitehead thread.

This team has no current make up. It's not a team yet. Only player who looks like a starter is Yakwe.

Bottom line is if Seton Hall and Providence are getting players like Dunn and Whitehead, we need to as well.

« Reply #897 on: March 08, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »

Not counting on Williams and I think Jones transfers. I envision one more swing and a 5th year transfer big bodied big. I think they could hold over a schools if they swing and miss.

I do not consider Amar or Mussini as rotation level BE players on a decent team.

« Reply #898 on: March 08, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »

Bright lights of NY were #1 reason for Mussini, Yakwe, and Freudenberg.

European players are not factored here they only think of big city. I mean to say domestic players that think through more things  Yakwe was here already-he had a good relationship with  St John's from his high school, handler, Lav, and Matt A.  Former teammates Felix and Chris had already played here. I don't think MSG was the important draw for him, more relationship centered.

« Reply #899 on: March 08, 2016, 12:12:35 PM »

I hope Jones stays. Really liked his improvement as the year went on this year, and I think he can give us good minutes next year if he really selectively picks his spots. He's got a skill set none of our other bigs have yet, but I could also see him being a bit unnecessary with the solid offensive options we have coming in.