Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA

• 1011 replies
Re: Rawle Alkins - SG - Word of God - ARIZONA
« Reply #960 on: March 09, 2016, 11:46:05 AM »
Mullin was a GM in the NBA; his strength is evaluating talent.  Slice and Matt are two of the best recruiters in college ball; their strength is acquiring talent.  If Mussini fills a role where he can help us win next year, he'll play.  If not, he won't.

Personally, think that a guard who can hit FTs at 88% and ice a game has a role on a college team.  We couldn't use him for that this year because we never had leads, but that should change next year. 

If Mussini's playing time is reduced too drastically can't see him staying here much longer with pro money waiting on the table in Italy. My bet is that he works hard all off-season, carves out a role,  and helps us win next year before he heads back home.

« Reply #961 on: March 09, 2016, 11:55:53 AM »
Wasju, tell us where you see him in the future.  And don't hedge your bets like you do with most other things ;)

Going to hedge a little.
You can see how frustrated he is. Feel bad for him and my criticism about his game is really aimed at the people who keep talking about how great a shooter he is because... lets be honest because he is white.
I think Mullin has tried to limit his minute not because he is tired, but because he is getting more and more frustrated by the minute. I think with better options next year he will see an even greater decrease in playing time. Mullin is not a guy who wants to lose. He is not going to play Mussini big minutes just to give him  experience. He will have to hit shots to play.

I think next year he will see his minutes decrease and it will be a big decision for him to either put in the work get bigger, stronger and still work at playing the point or go back to Europe.

I predict he gets uneven minutes the next two years then in his senior year he is the 2nd leading scorer and starting point guard.

thanks, I'm gonna start calling you Sonic. Surprised you didn't say he'll have a successful career after transferring to Baylor, following DLO's path and leaving at first sign of struggle..
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 11:57:09 AM by Amaseinyourface2 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #962 on: March 09, 2016, 12:08:28 PM »
Hitting free throws is great. Doesn't matter much, if you don't take any.

« Reply #963 on: March 09, 2016, 12:15:41 PM »

With 88 FT attempts so far, Mussini has taken 7 more FT then Phil Greene took in his first two years combined and 34 more than he took as a senior.

« Reply #964 on: March 09, 2016, 12:31:43 PM »

With 88 FT attempts so far, Mussini has taken 7 more FT then Phil Greene took in his first two years combined and 34 more than he took as a senior.

Phil Greene didn't foul people or get fouled I think he was aphenphosmphobic (fear of being touched or touching)

TONYD3

« Reply #965 on: March 09, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
That would be revelant if Phil Greene was playing tonight. I never remember anyone saying Phil green was a good player because he shot free throws well.

« Reply #966 on: March 09, 2016, 12:41:44 PM »
That would be revelant if Phil Greene was playing tonight. I never remember anyone saying Phil green was a good player because he shot free throws well.

Never met Carmine?

« Reply #967 on: March 09, 2016, 12:46:56 PM »

You're right its not revelant. The point is 88 ft for a freshmen who is weak, no good, unable to penetrate, unable to get free, unable to shoot and anything else people say about him, is rather amazing considering "he doesn't take much"

« Reply #968 on: March 09, 2016, 01:09:14 PM »
Dave's point is to illustrate that great players often struggle freshman year,

Bad players also struggle their freshman year. The fact that he's struggling doesn't prove anything. Most freshmen stink, some get better, some don't. Hopefully he does. The question is where his ceiling is. It does not seem to me to be that high. He's not going to get taller or faster over the summer. He's not going to learn to dribble like Frank Alagia over the summer. How good a shooter can he be - Max Hooper's allegedly a prodigy and he shoots 45 percent. Is he the sort of 4 year player you'd like to have, works hard, stays in school, good citizen, sure, happy he's here. Chris Mullin, I don't think so.

I hate to use warmups as any kind of barometer but if you watched Hooper the year he was here he gave the worlds Greatest warmup shooter Steve Shurina a run for his money.  Mussini not in those two guys league.

"With that being said has the nicest looking jumper since Larry Wright was sitting on Norm's bench. Might be best jump shooter since his coach. Crafty and most fun to watch on team."  Oh how the mighty have fallen

« Reply #969 on: March 09, 2016, 01:13:22 PM »

Bad players also struggle their freshman year. The fact that he's struggling doesn't prove anything. Most freshmen stink, some get better, some don't. Hopefully he does. The question is where his ceiling is. It does not seem to me to be that high. He's not going to get taller or faster over the summer. He's not going to learn to dribble like Frank Alagia over the summer. How good a shooter can he be - Max Hooper's allegedly a prodigy and he shoots 45 percent. Is he the sort of 4 year player you'd like to have, works hard, stays in school, good citizen, sure, happy he's here. Chris Mullin, I don't think so.

I hate to use warmups as any kind of barometer but if you watched Hooper the year he was here he gave the worlds Greatest warmup shooter Steve Shurina a run for his money.  Mussini not in those two guys league.

"With that being said has the nicest looking jumper since Larry Wright was sitting on Norm's bench. Might be best jump shooter since his coach. Crafty and most fun to watch on team."  Oh how the mighty have fallen

Was shooting off the dribble. Now he he is almost shooting it with two hands forehead level. I fell into the trap of putting too much stock in early games. Let us call that the God's Gift rule. I think he changed his form in order to get shot off quicker.

« Reply #970 on: March 09, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »

Was shooting off the dribble. Now he he is almost shooting it with two hands forehead level. I fell into the trap of putting too much stock in early games. Let us call that the God's Gift rule. I think he changed his form in order to get shot off quicker.

Heeedddggge :)

« Reply #971 on: March 09, 2016, 01:29:46 PM »

Heeedddggge :)

Wanted the Mullin era to go well and got caught up in the hype of a good game. Happens to the best of us, even the very best-me  ;)

« Reply #972 on: March 09, 2016, 01:33:28 PM »
Mussini or Alkins thread?  :D

« Reply #973 on: March 09, 2016, 01:41:32 PM »
Mussini or Alkins thread?  :D

Alkins thread should be moved to Arizona board. Change title to "Alkins not coming hopefully Mussini is not this bad"

« Reply #974 on: March 09, 2016, 07:15:39 PM »
Be curious to see the stats of the rest of our great players on how many times they shot over 50% if you care to check.

In the first place, if you're curious go look yourself. That's what I do when I'm curious about something, I look into it so that I can become informed about it. Imagine what the world would be like if everyone who was curious about something just sat there like a lump wondering about it. Madame Curie: I am curious about isotopes if you care to check them for me. Albert Einstein: I am curious about time and space, could you Ask Jeeves about it for me. Nicola Tesla: this electricity stuff sounds fascinating, I hope someone looks into it some day. In the second place none of our other great players are one dimensional  no trick ponies who have been proclaimed the greatest shooter since Chris Mullin, so their lack of shooting prowess is irrelevant.
My curiosity did not rise to the level to entice me to bother to do the leg work myself and as you surmised my point was the singling out of Mussini for more ridicule. But I guess that is what self hating white people such as yourself are want to do.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:16:39 PM by Celtics11 »

Foad

« Reply #975 on: March 09, 2016, 08:35:34 PM »
I guess that is what self hating white people such as yourself are want to do.

You're confused. I love myself and hate everyone else. Other than that you make your usual salient point.

« Reply #976 on: March 09, 2016, 08:47:45 PM »
Kris Dunn freshman year played 27mpg shot 31% and averaged 3.8ppg
Isaiah Whitehead shot 36% last year
Ryan Arcidiacano freshman year played shot 34% averaged 11ppg

I think some of you guys have unrealistic expectations sometimes of players early in their career. Patience.

So the unrealistic expectations aren't from the people who say Mussini is the best shooter since Chris Mullin, it's the people who say he isn't. Good point.

I think Mussini is a really good shooter who has taken some tough shots this year. He has good touch around the basket but struggles with contact. Physically limited defensively but has good active hands. All signs point to improvement with physical maturity and I'm good with that.

I agree with all that except there's no evidence that he's a really good shooter. The evidence is that he's a really bad shooter who looks like he should be a really good shooter. Saint John's has had many of those over the years. It may be that he's exhausted or that his confidence is shot or just that he's a freshman or whatever. But between two camps, one which says he's going to explode next year because he's the best shooter since Mullin and another that says the fact that he's shooting 20 percent from three in 85 percent of his games suggests he's not the best shooter since Mullin, it's odd that the fact based ones need to temper their expectations. Personally I'd like to watch a basketball program where almost no freshman play ever, not just because most of them are awful but because it suggests that the program is operating from a position of strength that can be sustained over the long term. My expectation is that if Mussini is a key player next year then SJ will not be in that position, because he has physical limitations that will be difficult for him to overcome. Kris Dunn and Whitehead are is 6'4 and 220 pounds. Mussini is an Oompa Loompa. He'd have to do a lot of things really really well to deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with those two.

I'm going by the tape not the numbers. He has a good stroke, footwork, and ability to shoot off the bounce. A lot of his misses are due to forced shots and fatigue. 2 things that are very correctable.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Foad

« Reply #977 on: March 09, 2016, 10:41:19 PM »

I think some of you guys have unrealistic expectations sometimes of players early in their career. Patience.

So the unrealistic expectations aren't from the people who say Mussini is the best shooter since Chris Mullin, it's the people who say he isn't. Good point.

I think Mussini is a really good shooter who has taken some tough shots this year. He has good touch around the basket but struggles with contact. Physically limited defensively but has good active hands. All signs point to improvement with physical maturity and I'm good with that.

I agree with all that except there's no evidence that he's a really good shooter. The evidence is that he's a really bad shooter who looks like he should be a really good shooter. Saint John's has had many of those over the years. It may be that he's exhausted or that his confidence is shot or just that he's a freshman or whatever. But between two camps, one which says he's going to explode next year because he's the best shooter since Mullin and another that says the fact that he's shooting 20 percent from three in 85 percent of his games suggests he's not the best shooter since Mullin, it's odd that the fact based ones need to temper their expectations. Personally I'd like to watch a basketball program where almost no freshman play ever, not just because most of them are awful but because it suggests that the program is operating from a position of strength that can be sustained over the long term. My expectation is that if Mussini is a key player next year then SJ will not be in that position, because he has physical limitations that will be difficult for him to overcome. Kris Dunn and Whitehead are is 6'4 and 220 pounds. Mussini is an Oompa Loompa. He'd have to do a lot of things really really well to deserve to be mentioned in the same breath with those two.

I'm going by the tape not the numbers. He has a good stroke, footwork, and ability to shoot off the bounce. A lot of his misses are due to forced shots and fatigue. 2 things that are very correctable.

Mila Kunis is smoking hot but she's not a very good actress. If she were better at emoting she could win an Academy Award. That's very correctable. She doesn't get an award for having flaws though. Neither does Mussini.

johnniesfilmmaker

• Aspiring filmmaker
    • Through the Viewfinder
« Reply #978 on: March 10, 2016, 09:08:55 AM »

Mila Kunis is smoking hot but she's not a very good actress. If she were better at emoting she could win an Academy Award. That's very correctable. She doesn't get an award for having flaws though. Neither does Mussini.

Nobody Is handing out an award to Mussini. For all of this talk about the parity of people saying his numbers show he sucks and others saying the tape show he's the best since Mullin, I've yet to see anybody saying he's the best since Mullin or even half of what D'Angelo was. All I've seen is people suggesting that he'll essentially develop into a player that floats around what he did last night

« Reply #979 on: March 10, 2016, 09:11:32 AM »

Nobody Is handing out an award to Mussini. For all of this talk about the parity of people saying his numbers show he sucks and others saying the tape show he's the best since Mullin, I've yet to see anybody saying he's the best since Mullin or even half of what D'Angelo was. All I've seen is people suggesting that he'll essentially develop into a player that floats around what he did last night

A couple people on the other board def said that Mullin thing. And our very own Marillac called him a scoring machine. Marillac gets a pass as he over-hypes everyone though.