Next steps

• 244 replies
Re: Next steps
« Reply #160 on: April 14, 2015, 10:18:31 PM »
The players are coming...
you hearing anything about mitch richmond coming ?

Very astute Mike.  I answered that in a different thread.

desco80

« Reply #161 on: April 14, 2015, 11:18:24 PM »
Interesting post by rdstr .....
Not sure I believe it, but interesting.

Wods317

« Reply #162 on: April 14, 2015, 11:29:24 PM »
Interesting post by rdstr .....
Not sure I believe it, but interesting.

I also heard that they reached out to gauge Mullins interest in the job a while back before the season ended. Not sure if Lavin knew about it or not. The Pitino part I have a tough time believing but the Mullin thing it isn't the first j have heard of it. Worked out really well for us obviously. Onto the task at hand, get me Sampson and Diallo.

« Reply #163 on: April 15, 2015, 01:28:10 AM »
This should move along pretty quickly. Could have a new coach announced sometime early next week. I expect it to be the all time leading scorer.

In my humble opinion, that would be a major fail.

If things go down how I think they will then St. John's will be very talented next season.

Just remember what Dave wrote a few weeks ago...

I remember what he wrote.
I also remember him talking about Lavin getting extended.

Regardless back to his statement above.  Its vague.

Don't be such a killjoy.  I remember him more giving his opinion on what he thought SJU should do.  Once it was clear what SJU was going to do regardless of whether it was what Dave thought they should do he was pretty spot on.

Let him pat himself on the back :)

He worded his post perfectly.  And also laid out every possible scenario in the process.

Haters gonna hate.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Moose

« Reply #164 on: April 15, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
This should move along pretty quickly. Could have a new coach announced sometime early next week. I expect it to be the all time leading scorer.

If things go down how I think they will then St. John's will be very talented next season.

Don't be such a killjoy.  I remember him more giving his opinion on what he thought SJU should do.  Once it was clear what SJU was going to do regardless of whether it was what Dave thought they should do he was pretty spot on.

He worded his post perfectly.  And also laid out every possible scenario in the process.

Haters gonna hate.

I don't need praise to know I'm good.
Remember who broke the Slice news

« Reply #165 on: April 15, 2015, 11:04:57 AM »

Haters gonna hate.

Who is seeking praise? I just saw you tossing some shade.

Moose

« Reply #166 on: April 15, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »

Haters gonna hate.

I'm driving the conversation

Tha Kid

« Reply #167 on: April 15, 2015, 11:39:18 AM »

Haters gonna hate.

Guys guys...should w

Haters gonna hate.

Guys guys...Foad is available with his centimeter ruler on BEB if you need someone to measure.
"I drink and I know things"

Moose

« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2015, 11:40:20 AM »
No need

« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »

Haters gonna hate.

my sources are bigger than your sources...

« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »

Haters gonna hate.

Just not sure where the animosity is coming from. I don't care but just a little odd.

hnk

« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2015, 03:44:27 PM »
They do not think you were sufficiently critical of Coach Lavin.  That was unacceptable to them.

wpc77

« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2015, 03:54:21 PM »
Fwiw, our next steps as far as coaching goes a person who I trust and is well connected to the college landscape told me pitino wanted the sju job badly. He wanted to come for 3.5 million and if sju would of agreed, he was ours... Sju wanted mullin from the start. Lavin knew this and discussions with mullin started a while ago. Lavin was a dead man walking as soon as sju knew mullin would accept.

It's important to remember how Lavin acted after the February 21st game at CA versus Seton Hall.  Mullin was honored at the half and sat with Louie during the game, which we won.  After the game, when addressed the press, Lavin (unprompted) defended his tenure and his development of the program.  That raised a few eyebrows, and, in retrospect, might have been an indiciation that he knew the univeristy was already talking with Mullin.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 04:03:52 PM by wpc77 »

sju89tr

« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2015, 03:55:34 PM »
Fwiw, our next steps as far as coaching goes a person who I trust and is well connected to the college landscape told me pitino wanted the sju job badly. He wanted to come for 3.5 million and if sju would of agreed, he was ours... Sju wanted mullin from the start. Lavin knew this and discussions with mullin started a while ago. Lavin was a dead man walking as soon as sju knew mullin would accept.

I heard that as well, people I spoke to thought however how Pitino would have gotten through the hiring process with his past indiscretions. His past is his past and it may not go over well at this Catholic institution.   

« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2015, 04:31:25 PM »

I heard that as well, people I spoke to thought however how Pitino would have gotten through the hiring process with his past indiscretions. His past is his past and it may not go over well at this Catholic institution.   

Heard the same from people at the university.  SJu wanted to start fresh.  I know Mulliin has had his issues in the past but it has been swept under the rug. The university just did not want pitino's off the court stuff to be the focal point of the media if they hired him.

redslope

« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2015, 05:25:37 PM »

Heard the same from people at the university.  SJu wanted to start fresh.  I know Mulliin has had his issues in the past but it has been swept under the rug. The university just did not want pitino's off the court stuff to be the focal point of the media if they hired him.

Chris' issues have not been swept under the table--at his introduction he referred to them with his "One day at a time" comment which is the AA matra.  Chris has also been open about his drinking in virtually all interviews.  There is nothing hidden here.

« Reply #176 on: April 15, 2015, 05:32:54 PM »

Chris' issues have not been swept under the table--at his introduction he referred to them with his "One day at a time" comment which is the AA matra.  Chris has also been open about his drinking in virtually all interviews.  There is nothing hidden here.

I should rephrase what i meant as far as sweeping under the rug.  What i meant was, it is something that people have looked past as a deterrent to be hired as coach of SJU, something the university would not do in Pitino's case.  Pitino could of come out and talked about what he did  to the public, but SJU would not of hired him anyway.

desco80

« Reply #177 on: April 15, 2015, 05:33:49 PM »
I still doubt that Pitino wanted to come here for $3.5mil.   I have no doubt that it's true that the school was in discussions with Mullin for awhile, or had been leaning that way.   
This obviously didn't happen over night.   And the fact SL didn't get an extension in Oct-Dec pretty much confirmed that it was the end of his time here.

But I just don't see the side of this that Pitino wanted to come here.  He makes $5.7 at Louisville according to reports.    Why take that much less money to go somewhere where you have less of a possibility of adding to your Final Fours or a championship.   

« Reply #178 on: April 15, 2015, 05:38:17 PM »
I still doubt that Pitino wanted to come here for $3.5mil.   I have no doubt that it's true that the school was in discussions with Mullin for awhile, or had been leaning that way.   
This obviously didn't happen over night.   And the fact SL didn't get an extension in Oct-Dec pretty much confirmed that it was the end of his time here.

Per the UK guys, Pitino wanted to come back to NY.  He has always had a heavy heart for SJU and from what I was told, he had grown tired of the UL vs UK rivalry.  It was never about the money.  It was to get a fresh start at a place he felt he could have sucess at.
But I just don't see the side of this that Pitino wanted to come here.  He makes $5.7 at Louisville according to reports.    Why take that much less money to go somewhere where you have less of a possibility of adding to your Final Fours or a championship.   

« Reply #179 on: April 15, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »

It's important to remember how Lavin acted after the February 21st game at CA versus Seton Hall.  Mullin was honored at the half and sat with Louie during the game, which we won.  After the game, when addressed the press, Lavin (unprompted) defended his tenure and his development of the program.  That raised a few eyebrows, and, in retrospect, might have been an indiciation that he knew the univeristy was already talking with Mullin.

These posts above are very good.  I always tried to watch Lavin's press conferences -- any coach of a team I root for in fact.  It's important to see how the coach handles himself and to see his demeanor.  I thought Lavin did a lot of deflecting, usually.  But he was on high alert with Mullin there.

At halftime, I believe, Mullin was interviewed.  Maybe it was pre-game.  Mullin was classy but he indicted the program.  He said there is a way to do it at St. John's & you have to use local kids, that the city wants to root for their own, etc.  At that time, I was not thinking about Mullin coming in here, but I had a feeling if the higher ups asked him about Lavin, he would not have endorsed him.