Next steps

• 244 replies

TONYD3

Re: Next steps
« Reply #180 on: April 15, 2015, 06:15:30 PM »
Very happy we have mullin. Don't know why Lavin has to take a shot every 15 or so posts. The team played very well vs seton hall. I don't think for a second Lavin was thinking about Chris mullin taking his job. Just becuse one person thinks that, posts it on a message board, then gets repeated, doesn't make it a fact.
Lavin had his chance . If we are competitive the last few games he would still be here. That's what I believe . I think he would agree. I don't think he was looking over his shoulder at Chris mullin. Also I am sure he was not happy that he was fired. Still he is making more next year to stay home then I will make in the next 15 years.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:16:29 PM by TONYD3 »

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #181 on: April 15, 2015, 07:38:23 PM »
Very happy we have mullin. Don't know why Lavin has to take a shot every 15 or so posts. The team played very well vs seton hall. I don't think for a second Lavin was thinking about Chris mullin taking his job. Just becuse one person thinks that, posts it on a message board, then gets repeated, doesn't make it a fact.
Lavin had his chance . If we are competitive the last few games he would still be here. That's what I believe . I think he would agree. I don't think he was looking over his shoulder at Chris mullin. Also I am sure he was not happy that he was fired. Still he is making more next year to stay home then I will make in the next 15 years.

Lavin knew he was fighting for an extension, regardless of Mullin was involved or not. When the new President came on board he had players ruled ineligable...Not a great way to start....I do agree that if Lavin went on the end of the season it would have been difficult not to extend him.
Cougar O' Malley

« Reply #182 on: April 15, 2015, 07:57:13 PM »

Hello TONYD3.  I've taken a lot of shots at Lavin, mostly on Twitter.  I think people take shots where they are deserved sometimes.  If Lavin woulda done a better job over the last 15 games, could he have parlayed that into a roster for next season?  BC after year 5, not having won a thing, you shouldn't get another 5-6 years to re rebuild.  He would've needed to win AND recruit better and he didn't do either.

Since there was a disconnect between the alumni & Lavin, then Lavin would definitely be worried about his fat pay check & his car & driver, IMO, when Chris Mullin comes to be honored and ppl go crazy for him, considering that Lavin was used to a lot of positive attention all the time.  Did you hear what Mullin said about the program that night?

At no point did we see Lavin "coach for his life."  He admitted he felt no pressure to win. 

Now I would not disrespect Mullin by suggesting he wanted another man's job.  Mullin is not the type to go lobby for somebody's job.  Moreso, the higher ups were interested in Mullin, not vice versa.  But Chris, not about to lie, told the truth about needing to build out around local kids when asked. 

The outcome of the Seton Hall game is irrelevant.

Moose

« Reply #183 on: April 15, 2015, 08:41:53 PM »
They do not think you were sufficiently critical of Coach Lavin.  That was unacceptable to them.

Does Lavin know his agent is still posting here?
Remember who broke the Slice news

TONYD3

« Reply #184 on: April 15, 2015, 08:43:21 PM »
U miss my point. If he did better he would be here. Plenty of reasonable shots to take at him. He did a good job vs seton hall. Team played very well.
Coach did good. That is the what happened that game. Did he fxck up other times,YES! Complain then. He is gone.
The no pressure to win is bull shit. Lavin was very into every game. Was he coaching for his life? Probably not. He is rich. To say he didnt care is also not true. U and many hate him, he is gone.
Honestly don't remember Mullin's speech. 

« Reply #185 on: April 15, 2015, 08:50:23 PM »
U miss my point. If he did better he would be here. Plenty of reasonable shots to take at him. He did a good job vs seton hall. Team played very well.
Coach did good. That is the what happened that game. Did he fxck up other times,YES! Complain then. He is gone.
The no pressure to win is bull shit. Lavin was very into every game. Was he coaching for his life? Probably not. He is rich. To say he didnt care is also not true. U and many hate him, he is gone.
The no pressure to win is a direct quote from Lavin so in your words it is Lavin BS.

« Reply #186 on: April 15, 2015, 08:52:53 PM »

Tony, we're not criticizing, perse.  We are talking about what happened that night, and down the road.

If SJU played well that night, then Lavin should go out & say that to the media.  Instead, the focus was on his tenure.

Why is he talking about his tenure on the night they honored Chris Mullin, after a nice win?

BC 2+2=4, probably.

TONYD3

« Reply #187 on: April 15, 2015, 09:06:55 PM »
I don't care what he said to the media. I sat next behind the Seton Hall bench and had a great time. Team played great and were well coached. If he brought up his tenure, maybe it could have been because it was senior day. The team played great in the second half. To remember anything from that game that was not postive is amazing. What I remember now that I am thinking about it was thanking the seniors and saying how much he enjoyed coaching them.  That was not Chris Mullin Day. I was happy to see Mullin and cheered for him, then went to the bathroom and got ready for the second half.

Poison

« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2015, 09:15:22 PM »

Tony, we're not criticizing, perse.  We are talking about what happened that night, and down the road.

If SJU played well that night, then Lavin should go out & say that to the media.  Instead, the focus was on his tenure.

Why is he talking about his tenure on the night they honored Chris Mullin, after a nice win?

BC 2+2=4, probably.

When they honor Chris Mullin at half time next season, who's going to be in the locker room with the team?

« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2015, 09:17:28 PM »

BC 2+2=4, probably.

When they honor Chris Mullin at half time next season, who's going to be in the locker room with the team?

@NYPost_Brazille: St John's entire staff expected to not only meet with Cheick Diallo this weekend, but also Brandon Sampson, source says. #sjubb

« Reply #190 on: April 15, 2015, 09:43:03 PM »
I don't care what he said to the media. I sat next behind the Seton Hall bench and had a great time. Team played great and were well coached. If he brought up his tenure, maybe it could have been because it was senior day. The team played great in the second half. To remember anything from that game that was not postive is amazing. What I remember now that I am thinking about it was thanking the seniors and saying how much he enjoyed coaching them.  That was not Chris Mullin Day. I was happy to see Mullin and cheered for him, then went to the bathroom and got ready for the second half.

Well, we are all happy you had fun, bro.  & you relieved yourself, to boot!

Maybe Lavin did bring up his tenure bc it was senior night.  But either way, he felt he had to.

Lavin was a very interesting guy to follow, in terms of his media interactions.  & people are wondering about some of his more curious takes, like after Seton Hall.  Esp w/Mullin in the house, having suggested St. John's had a skewed recruiting focus away from NYC.

So, are you one of those guys that's happy and easy to please?  They won, and you went, so how dare anyone say anything other than that?

It's a message board, bro.  I'm a Jets fan.  Should I be happy they beat Tenn?  Should we be happy if we are Knicks fans that they decided to win these last couple of games?  Are there not tons of other issues that we can comment on besides what happened on the floor?

« Reply #191 on: April 15, 2015, 09:56:20 PM »

Maybe Lavin did bring up his tenure bc it was senior night.  But either way, he felt he had to.

Lavin was a very interesting guy to follow, in terms of his media interactions.  & people are wondering about some of his more curious takes, like after Seton Hall.  Esp w/Mullin in the house, having suggested St. John's had a skewed recruiting focus away from NYC.

So, are you one of those guys that's happy and easy to please?  They won, and you went, so how dare anyone say anything other than that?

It's a message board, bro.  I'm a Jets fan.  Should I be happy they beat Tenn?  Should we be happy if we are Knicks fans that they decided to win these last couple of games?  Are there not tons of other issues that we can comment on besides what happened on the floor?

The Jets made the playoffs?

Wods317

« Reply #192 on: April 15, 2015, 11:22:02 PM »
Who cares about Lavin. This thread is called next steps and people are brining up all stuff from the past. Let's move forward hear, amazing that with all the positive stuff going on with the program people want to talk about the past constantly.

« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2015, 02:49:24 AM »
Seriously, stop posting about Lavin. It's over move on.

« Reply #194 on: April 16, 2015, 10:39:21 AM »

He wasn't that interesting. Time to move on as the thread title suggests. Good things ahead, bro.

Johnny23

« Reply #195 on: April 16, 2015, 11:10:31 AM »
Here, here! No more Lavin talk. Let's all focus on the amazing developments that are happpening under Mullin.

« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2015, 11:54:51 AM »
I tend to look at things through rose colored glasses too.  But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.  True, he hired two great recruiters, but they haven't, as of yet, yielded any blue chip talent that would elevate the team to  last year's heights.  When you look at what we lost from last year's team, it is almost all of the production.  Sima is an imprtant piece, and I'm glad we got him, but he is not going to put up many points.  Who is going to fill the production of Harrison, Greene, Pointer and Branch?  As of right now, nobody.  Williams is the only recruit that seems capable of scoring on a regular basis.  I will be waiting and  watching the recruitment of Sampson, Diallo, and a point guard (hopefully Ricky Tarrant). They still need two or three blue chippers to be competitive in conference next year. One has to realize all the things that Pointer did on the court inccluding guarding people taller then him or shorter, quicker guards.  The rebounding, the shot blocking, and the point production, especially down the stretch.

hnk

« Reply #197 on: April 16, 2015, 12:06:02 PM »
With our size and depth, we will need fewer points....we should give up way fewer points inside and off of offensive rebounds....I guess whether we can generate the same number of turnovers is a question.

paultzman

« Reply #198 on: April 16, 2015, 12:12:42 PM »
I tend to look at things through rose colored glasses too.  But let's not get too far ahead of ourselves here.  True, he hired two great recruiters, but they haven't, as of yet, yielded any blue chip talent that would elevate the team to  last year's heights.  When you look at what we lost from last year's team, it is almost all of the production.  Sima is an imprtant piece, and I'm glad we got him, but he is not going to put up many points.  Who is going to fill the production of Harrison, Greene, Pointer and Branch?  As of right now, nobody.  Williams is the only recruit that seems capable of scoring on a regular basis.  I will be waiting and  watching the recruitment of Sampson, Diallo, and a point guard (hopefully Ricky Tarrant). They still need two or three blue chippers to be competitive in conference next year. One has to realize all the things that Pointer did on the court inccluding guarding people taller then him or shorter, quicker guards.  The rebounding, the shot blocking, and the point production, especially down the stretch.
Sensible post. Mullin & staff are building the foundation year one. I'm not allowing my excitement to distort the big picture.

Wods317

« Reply #199 on: April 16, 2015, 12:31:56 PM »
Sensible post. Mullin & staff are building the foundation year one. I'm not allowing my excitement to distort the big picture.

People are excited for next year and years to come but I don't think anyone thinks with the team we hve right now that we will be very good next year. If we do land some of the big recruits then yes we can get excited but the staff inherited besides Obepka and Jordan a depleted roster. Anything these do in this spring period I consider a bonus. Can't expect them to work miracles but they are working there asses off to make us good starting next year.