2015-16 Nonconference schedule

• 169 replies
Re: 2015-16 Nonconference schedule
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »
Iona isn't a good game because if we win, it's "so what" and if we lose we're screwed trying to sell ourselves as "New York's team".

I told Monasch back in the day there should be an eight team Holiday Festival with only locals in order to build rivalries and boost NYC hoops.  I'm pretty sure it would sell tickets.  He blew me off saying it's not in the school's interest to boost other programs.

« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2015, 02:06:29 PM »
He was clueless when it came to understanding N.Y.C. college and high school basketball. We haven't hosted the CHSAA playoffs for the last several years after decades of it being a fixture. He told one of our  assistant coaches he wasn't sure if it helped in recruiting, obviously he didn't notice the banners in our arena or heard the story of a young Chris Mullin running into coach Louie at one of those games. 

sju89tr

« Reply #62 on: June 11, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
Iona isn't a good game because if we win, it's "so what" and if we lose we're screwed trying to sell ourselves as "New York's team".

I told Monasch back in the day there should be an eight team Holiday Festival with only locals in order to build rivalries and boost NYC hoops.  I'm pretty sure it would sell tickets.  He blew me off saying it's not in the school's interest to boost other programs.

I think back in the day these tournaments counted only as one game but now they are multiple games

The local Holiday Festival would be a nice way to bring back the rivalry, you could even have NY vs NJ by having 4 teams from each but it will never happen 

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2015, 12:22:02 AM »

I think back in the day these tournaments counted only as one game but now they are multiple games

The local Holiday Festival would be a nice way to bring back the rivalry, you could even have NY vs NJ by having 4 teams from each but it will never happen 
Not true re counting as one game back in the day.

« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2015, 01:27:58 AM »

Following article talks about exempt tournaments, which I think you were alluding too:

http://m.indyweek.com/indyweek/whats-up-with-all-these-tropical-early-season-basketball-tournaments/Content?oid=3208369

TONYD3

« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2015, 07:43:56 AM »
People are really going to spend 50 dollars a ticket to see St. John's vs Iona ? We played gonzaga last year there was less then 5000 people there. Villi nova has a great thing. Their is no interest here in NYC. Holiday festival could easily be great .
St. John's vs Iona
Ohio state vs Hofstra .
The tournament would need a big state school and bring in 2 locals. If not we should cancel it.

« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2015, 08:58:28 AM »
People are really going to spend 50 dollars a ticket to see St. John's vs Iona ? We played gonzaga last year there was less then 5000 people there. Villi nova has a great thing. Their is no interest here in NYC. Holiday festival could easily be great .
St. John's vs Iona
Ohio state vs Hofstra .
The tournament would need a big state school and bring in 2 locals. If not we should cancel it.

You're underestimating the local draw of Mullin

« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2015, 09:36:15 AM »
I'd love for the Johnnies to play the local mid-majors when they are good - as Iona and Manhattan have been the past few years.  But I fully understand why we don't.  Games like that are basically a lose-lose proposition right now for bigger conference schools, and unless there is a gaping hole in the ability to schedule quality out of conference games (which wasn't the case for us the past few years), there is no need.  It's all in the game Baldi - you know that - and if Cluess was at a bigger school he'd be doing the same thing.

« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2015, 10:15:40 AM »
I'd love for the Johnnies to play the local mid-majors when they are good - as Iona and Manhattan have been the past few years.  But I fully understand why we don't.  Games like that are basically a lose-lose proposition right now for bigger conference schools, and unless there is a gaping hole in the ability to schedule quality out of conference games (which wasn't the case for us the past few years), there is no need.  It's all in the game Baldi - you know that - and if Cluess was at a bigger school he'd be doing the same thing.

When was the last time St John's played either Manhattan or Iona?

ras

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
I say play them. In Phily they have the big 5 rivalry.  Why is a loss to Iona any worse than a loss to an equivalent Midmajor program from a different region?

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2015, 10:33:43 AM »
Iona's RPI was 51, St. John's was 36. How would that be a bad loss? Wagners is 293, that's a bad loss and a useless game altogether

« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2015, 11:23:04 AM »
That is not the question.

All schools play bad teams thus any loss to those teams is a BAD loss, obviously.  Duke loses to Army that is a BAD loss but they still play Army.  Again that is not the question that should b asked or answered in this case.

Here is the difference: There are bad losses to LOSABLE teams and bad losses to teams you have ABSOLUTELY NO BUSINESS losing to. 

A losable team is a team that you are better than on paper in most years and should beat but is a team that gives high major’s problems and is not inconceivable that you could lose too.  That is the definition of an Iona.

Wagner is a team that should (for the most part) never be a worry and an automatic check in the win column most years.

That is the difference between Wagner and Iona.

TONYD3

« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2015, 11:27:14 AM »
St. John's vs Iona
Ohio state vs Hofstra .
My friends who are causal fans wouldn't spend that. Unless we are really good no one is coming unless we are playing a good game.

You're underestimating the local draw of Mullin

« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2015, 01:49:09 PM »
When Manhattan beat SJU in the Holiday Festival in the early 2000's was the death of them playing good NYC area mid majors.

« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
When Manhattan beat SJU in the Holiday Festival in the early 2000's was the death of them playing good NYC area mid majors.

Same festival Iona beat North Carolina?

TONYD3

« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2015, 07:25:35 PM »
Manhattan was better then St. John's then. Didn't feel like an upset .

« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »

Can you name 2 guys on that Manhattan team?

« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2015, 08:25:21 PM »

I can - lol

2 I immediately thought of - Flores and Holmes. I loved Holmes' game - DMV (DeMatha) product too

« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:28:57 PM by bball purist »

« Reply #78 on: June 12, 2015, 08:26:52 PM »

I can - lol

As can I.

Iona beat that Carolina team with Sean May, Rashad Mccants etc,,

« Reply #79 on: June 12, 2015, 08:29:32 PM »

I can - lol

As can I.

Iona beat that Carolina team with Sean May, Rashad Mccants etc,,
That was a good year for our "other" squads  ;D

Just looked it up
Manhattan 72, SJ 65 12/27/02
« Last Edit: June 12, 2015, 08:30:24 PM by bball purist »