St John's vs Hofstra

• 8 replies
St John's vs Hofstra
« on: June 04, 2016, 10:36:30 AM »
St. John's and Hofstra will play pickup together every week this summer, sources told @CBSSports. Terrific idea by both programs. #SJUBB

Rothstein tweet

Wods317

Re: St John's vs Hofstra
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:59:29 AM »
I like this a lot. Makes sense for both programs. It is good to get out and play in some healthy competition other then just scrimmaging with your own guys every day.

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:08:58 AM »
Great competition for the bigs. That Lithuanian is legit

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 11:34:38 AM »
I remember reading Rick Pitino noting that he was against his guys playing pickup basketball.

found the quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/63640/rick-pitino-adopts-new-offseason-approach

"I said I don't want you playing pickup basketball, because that's how you regress," Pitino said. "I said I'd rather you play one-on-one basketball, with these rules -- games of five. If you play games of five you're playing hard on offense, hard on defense, winners come on. Play no more than that. Anything more than that, you start to break down, you don't guard, you don't have your hands ready, you don't play defense, you don't really get after it offensively. So I've given them certain things to follow -- improve your quickness, improve your strength and spend 45 minutes on your game each day."

Poison

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »
I didn't realize they could do that, but I like it a lot. Let that big euro teach them how to board. With Hofstra losing several players to graduation it seems like an ideal time to get them on the schedule. (That's the St.John's logic, at least)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 11:48:43 AM by Poison »

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2016, 12:53:59 AM »
This is cool
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2016, 08:02:17 PM »
St. John's and Hofstra will play pickup together every week this summer, sources told @CBSSports. Terrific idea by both programs. #SJUBB

Rothstein tweet

They dodge Iona even in pickup games.
Hopefully there is security on hand because this could get ugly quick. Great opportunity though.

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2016, 11:16:00 PM »
Any info on where this will take place? Would be cool if it were open to the public

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2016, 11:27:41 PM »
How long has it been since NY State ran summer games, Back then the NCAA or  ,,,,,,,,,,, limited it  to 3 players from one school on any team. The reason I bring this up NCAA will come calling looking for the involvement of coaches in those pickup games.