Transfers & Recruits Visiting SJU

• 278 replies

paultzman

Re: Transfers & Recruits Visiting SJU
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
Don't like Simon coming if he expects to be a pg,  but absolutely love him if he is willing to come in as a kid that plays the two and three and a little point.

+1

MCNPA

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 05:27:35 PM »
Top 25 in his recruiting class.

His offensive numbers this season were pretty brutal. Good rebounder though. Would love him if he was a play immediately fifth year transfer but not sure I'm thrilled with this idea since he'd eat a scholarship while sitting out a year

"Averaged 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds per game, while playing an average of 17.0 minutes per contest ... Shot 38.4 percent from the field, 35.3 percent from 3-point range and 71.2 percent from the free-throw line ... Recorded one double-double when he had career highs of 23 points and 12 rebounds vs. Saint Katherine ... Was 10-of-15 from the field in that game, "

These numbers are that brutal for a freshman, 6'8" forward?

Marillac

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 05:33:33 PM »

His offensive numbers this season were pretty brutal. Good rebounder though. Would love him if he was a play immediately fifth year transfer but not sure I'm thrilled with this idea since he'd eat a scholarship while sitting out a year

"Averaged 5.3 points and 3.0 rebounds per game, while playing an average of 17.0 minutes per contest ... Shot 38.4 percent from the field, 35.3 percent from 3-point range and 71.2 percent from the free-throw line ... Recorded one double-double when he had career highs of 23 points and 12 rebounds vs. Saint Katherine ... Was 10-of-15 from the field in that game, "

Sign me up for him or anyone that played 10+ minutes for Izzo.

MCNPA

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2016, 05:48:06 PM »

Those numbers are freshman stats for Dwayne Morgan unlv

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2016, 06:34:31 PM »

Those numbers are freshman stats for Dwayne Morgan unlv

Damn, I checked and Marvin Clark only averaged 9.9 mpg.  I drew a hard line at 10 :( 

goredmen

« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2016, 06:54:31 PM »

He was a soph this past year and only attempted 12 3s on the season so hes not a true 3 point threat. Plus his FG % isn't great for a big that should taking most of his shots around the basket. His advanced offensive stats aren't pretty either. I wouldn't put 100% opposed to him just don't like the idea of him eating a scholarship while sitting out a year when he'd most likely be a depth guy more than anything two years down the road

paultzman

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2016, 07:07:35 PM »
Per Josh Gershon;

Arizona transfer Justin Simon will visit #OklahomaState this weekend, per a source.

paultzman

« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2016, 07:50:03 PM »
Per Zags re Kostas A

.@Kostas_ante34 has no visit dates set, but is definitely visiting St. John's and Florida, per @SeanMoHoops from @nikehoopsummit

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2016, 07:53:23 PM »

He was a soph this past year and only attempted 12 3s on the season so hes not a true 3 point threat. Plus his FG % isn't great for a big that should taking most of his shots around the basket. His advanced offensive stats aren't pretty either. I wouldn't put 100% opposed to him just don't like the idea of him eating a scholarship while sitting out a year when he'd most likely be a depth guy more than anything two years down the road

I think the question with transfers like this is why didn't it work out for them.  With Clark, the answer is very reasonable:  he was not a top 100 player and MSU played small with the national player of the year, 6'5 Denzel Valentine and a pair of 6'3 guards--one being fourth-year junior, Eron Harris, who averaged 17.3 ppg for West Virginia two years ago.  They also have a 5'10 PG that plays 20 mpg and can only play point.  MSU had solid bigger guys like Costello to play the four and five. 

Morgan got twice as much burn, but didn't really produce.  It seems like the freshman Derrick Jones Jr. passed him over going off stats and minutes played.  There are a ton of minutes that will be available next year with grad-transfers Ike Nwamu  and Jerome Seagers graduating and Zimmerman and McCaw declaring for the draft. 

I'd take Clark.  Big strong kid (which we lack) and takes pride in his defense.  He was compared to Justin Anderson in the 2015 tournament.  If our strength team can't develop our players, we might as well cherry-pick a few in the transfer game.  I doubt he'd be a star, but he could be a nice complement to a guy like Ellison who showed good offensive potential but poor defense and strength.

goredmen

« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »

I think the question with transfers like this is why didn't it work out for them.  With Clark, the answer is very reasonable:  he was not a top 100 player and MSU played small with the national player of the year, 6'5 Denzel Valentine and a pair of 6'3 guards--one being fourth-year junior, Eron Harris, who averaged 17.3 ppg for West Virginia two years ago.  They also have a 5'10 PG that plays 20 mpg and can only play point.  MSU had solid bigger guys like Costello to play the four and five. 

Morgan got twice as much burn, but didn't really produce.  It seems like the freshman Derrick Jones Jr. passed him over going off stats and minutes played.  There are a ton of minutes that will be available next year with grad-transfers Ike Nwamu  and Jerome Seagers graduating and Zimmerman and McCaw declaring for the draft. 

I'd take Clark.  Big strong kid (which we lack) and takes pride in his defense.  He was compared to Justin Anderson in the 2015 tournament.  If our strength team can't develop our players, we might as well cherry-pick a few in the transfer game.  I doubt he'd be a star, but he could be a nice complement to a guy like Ellison who showed good offensive potential but poor defense and strength.

I agree. I would love Clark and Simon even with them having to sit out a year. Morgan not so much

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2016, 08:10:59 PM »

I agree. I would love Clark and Simon even with them having to sit out a year. Morgan not so much

Yup.  Morgan seems like the kind of player we always strike out on that Xavier somehow turns into a stud. 

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2016, 08:14:29 PM »
I'm a seller of Clark but would like Simon and Kostas. Grad transfer with the last scholarship.

paultzman

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2016, 08:38:00 PM »
Per Biancardi

Kostas told ESPN today that he holds two offers... Memphis & Iowa State

He did mention SJU interest.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 08:55:09 PM by paultzman »

Wods317

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2016, 09:06:58 PM »
Per Biancardi

Those are two very nice programs. It seems like he really has interest in coming here and is hoping that we offer him. A kid who wants to be here bad and also has a lot skill although the skill is raw. I like him and hope we bring him in.

wpc77

« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2016, 09:08:48 PM »
Clark is the real deal on offense.  Would be a big plus.  Anthony glover jr, with a solid outside j.  Nothing to sniff at

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 09:06:12 AM »
Per Biancardi

I assume Memphis would be out if their coach goes to Georgia Tech?

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 09:19:15 AM »
Per Biancardi

I assume Memphis would be out if their coach goes to Georgia Tech?

What's funny is the two schools he wants to visit are not the two schools who have reportedly offered him: SJU and Florida  vs ISU and Memphis.