Jarrid Famous - C - Westchester CC - Valhalla, NY

• 24 replies
Jarrid Famous - C - Westchester CC - Valhalla, NY
« on: July 13, 2008, 02:24:18 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/

"Our guy Jay Gomes over at NJ Hoops reports the star of the show was 6-11 sophomore Jarrid Famous of Westchester CC, who has been hearing from Seton Hall, St. John’s, DePaul and Providence."

any one know anything about him?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 05:21:53 PM by kjd01067 »
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Re: Jarrid Famous - C - Westchester CC - Valhalla, NY
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 08:08:57 PM »
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/

"Our guy Jay Gomes over at NJ Hoops reports the star of the show was 6-11 sophomore Jarrid Famous of Westchester CC, who has been hearing from Seton Hall, St. John’s, DePaul and Providence."

any one know anything about him?
He played with Curtis Dennis at Blessed Sac., but he was shorter than 6'11" and signed with Hartford originally.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2008, 08:09:30 PM by Not The Sleaveless Guy »

kob24

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2008, 11:30:37 PM »
nonononononononono heeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll no he shouldnt even be on this page. tomas would dog him plain and simple

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 12:24:03 AM »
nonononononononono heeeeeeeeelllllllllllllll no he shouldnt even be on this page. tomas would dog him plain and simple

LOL. Enough said.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

sjd8886

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:44 PM »
well westchester community college is like the UNC of community college athletic programs...........in westchester

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 04:33:49 PM »
is LFball talking about Famous?

http://lfballonhoops.blogspot.com/

Recruiting Information

There is a certain kid at Westchester Community college that has everyone all over the country booking flights to Westchester County Airport and Laguardia Airport. Kid is on everyone's list. Even hear Kentucky is involved. Not sure about Rutgers, but Seton hall is right in there with this 7 Foot Kid with serious skills.

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 05:30:26 PM »
Googled Famous & found he was named 1st team all region NJCAA

http://www.njcaaregion15.org/sport.cfm?sport_ID=1&div=1&gender=Male

Had pretty good Stats 21 ppg,  59% fg%, 10.9 reb/g.

He shot 235 f/t in 28 games! more than Burrell, Evans, Coker & TJ combined

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/default.asp?u=WESTCOSBASKETBALL&t=c&s=basketball&p=stats&psort=pointspergame#dt_p

In his final game last year (a playoff loss) he shot 14/18 w 16 rebs.
His final 4 games last yr (their playoffs) 26.5 ppg,  17reb/g   66% fg%

I don't remember TJ & Coker HS Stats, but Jarrid has put up
much better #'s against better than HS competition

Now I dont know the level of competition, but let Norm & Co explore.
Another blog I found sounds like kid grew 3-4" last 2 years, but from pictures
on the Westchester CC site, I think the listed 6'11" is w 2-3" sneakers

« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 06:16:20 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

kjd01067

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 07:40:45 PM »
http://lfballonhoops.blogspot.com/2008/07/outstanding-and-important-recruit.html

Outstanding and Important Recruit

As most can see, I am not writing as many blog entry's as I will during the college basketball season. However about once a week I will post something I feel is relevant and important. Today is one of those days.

When it comes to recruiting, many say guards are more important than big guys. Others feel a big guy wins championships. Yet others think it is the 4 or 5 guy that gets the job done. Thus the case of what might be the most important recruit available for area universities.

I am talking about Jared Famous, the close to 7 Ft skilled big guy from Westchester Community College in Valhalla NY. I read on one message board that he is more of a MAAC player than a Big East Player. EEEEEEEEEEEEEE........Wrong! This kid is not only a big east player, he could be a big east impact player. 7 Ft with skills and the ability to run the floor. He also plays hard and is a good student. His friends and associates are not what you would even imagine from a player like this. They are your typical almost corny yet academically smart kids. In other words he hangs with the right type of kids.

According to many of my friends including his head coach, who I coached at one time during his playing days at Westchester Community College, this kid will be paid to play one day. And based on the turn out of D1 coaches , at a junior college showcase on Sunday, coaches all over America believe the same thing.

No less than 25 D1 programs were on hand to watch Mr. Famous play. Even Mike Anderson, head coach at Missouri, flew in. Mike did it the correct way. He arrived early and was the last one out the gym. He wants this kid bad!

Locally Norm Roberts, who needs this kid more than anyone in America, did not even bother to show. He sent one of his assistants. Rutgers sent Jim Carr, who has a good relationship with alot of area coaches. Unfortunately this kid sees himself competing against Jonathan Mitchell despite the fact they are telling him Mitchell will play the 3. Seton Hall was well represented by both Dermon Player and Head Coach Bobby Gonzalez, who positioned themselves in the corner right near Jared's people if you know what I mean.

Seems Seton Hall is doing a great job. However my sources tell me they need to be in more contact with Head Coach Winston Nicholas concerning Jared's recruitment. That is a huge concern of many. Winston has been around a long time and really is friends of Norm from Queens. How Norm is not all over this is baffling to say the least.

Lastly. Winton Nicholas, Westchester Community College Head Coach and one of the true GREAT GUYS in area sports, is recovering from surgery in a local NYC hospital. Amazing how the locals cannot find time to stop by and wish him well when out of town guys are finding the time to do this. Norm Roberts should be there 3 times a week!
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 07:41:21 PM by kjd01067 »

kob24

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »
eeeeeee wrong lfball I've seen jared since he was in 9th grade he is 6'10 and has short arms maybe he took shot of dwight Howard juice but I would have heard about it. He's big but he's soft. Fellas don't let this guy fool u jared is a cool smart kid but in my humble opinion he isn't better then tomas.come on now a damn near 7 footer in ny and u never heard of him there is a reason. And I hate putting kids down like this but I think guys like lfball is hurting some kids by putting them in higher conferences than they should be in. He may have gotten better he may have played well when u seen him but that doesn't mean he's a high major player. Kentucky can take that risk like they did With The last 7foot new yorker ( shagari) and we seen how he panned out don't believe the hype
« Last Edit: July 31, 2008, 10:31:33 PM by kob24 »

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 09:46:11 AM »
http://lfballonhoops.blogspot.com/2008/07/outstanding-and-important-recruit.html

Locally Norm Roberts, who needs this kid more than anyone in America, did not even bother to show. He sent one of his assistants.

Looks like "LFball" is hitting the sauce again..  ::) ... That is one of the DUMBEST comments i have ever read in my life. Someone needs to tell this "genius" we have Coker(6'10, 255 lbs) & Wait(7'1, 250 lbs) to man the center spot for the next three or four years... plus we also have Evans(6'8, 240) & Burrell(6'8, 235) who can play the position in a pinch as well.... i think i'll go with kob on this one..  8) .. peace!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 09:50:02 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 02:09:08 PM »
I don't think we're too deep to recruit Famous but more of the fact he isn't good enough to recruit.

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
I don't think we're too deep to recruit Famous but more of the fact he isn't good enough to recruit.

Well if there wasn't some depth then anyone 7', even with short arms, would be good enough to recruit.  Too deep and deep enough are about the same in this instance.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2008, 08:41:07 PM »

Well if there wasn't some depth then anyone 7', even with short arms, would be good enough to recruit.  Too deep and deep enough are about the same in this instance.

Bingo yanker..  :) ... Could we use another 7 footer? Sure... but u could say that about half of the teams in the country. What i object to is the ridiculous notion that we need a 6'11 toothpick who has short arms & is soft as tissue paper... "more than anyone in America".. ::) ... It's just a nice personic comment by "LF ball" imo.. :D .. peace!

« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 08:42:23 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

pmg911

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2008, 10:16:28 PM »
It's just a nice personic comment by "LF ball" imo.. :D .. peace!

you calling anyone nice personic...   PURE COMEDY
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 10:16:58 PM by pmg911 »

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2008, 11:49:55 PM »

p.s. - Ur so predictable... and "pmg" hijacks yet ANOTHER thread..  ::) ... Keep the NONSENSE coming chubbs, i'm sure JJ & the rest of the board really appreciate it.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 12:01:12 AM by oldred10 »

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2008, 12:28:19 AM »

p.s. - Ur so predictable... and "pmg" hijacks yet ANOTHER thread..  ::) ... Keep the NONSENSE coming chubbs, i'm sure JJ & the rest of the board really appreciate it.

Seriously both of you this is getting old.

Oldred- stop taking cheap shots at people in all of your posts. Just because you don't agree with someone oldred doesn't mean they a bozo, a drunk, or whatever. You set yourself up for being antagonized because you constantly name call. No need to call LFBall blog guy a nice person. You could have been much more mature by saying you don't find him to be credible and you don't take what he says seriously. Instead you post a picture reiterating when you implied he was a drunk in your last post. You are the root of many problems but you never hold yourself accountable its always someone elses fault. You NEED to STOP with the name calling and putting down people who differ from your own opinion. You do a lot of good when you report news with your posts however you do a lot more bad then good with your posts. You need to realize this and if you continue to fail, I will have to ask you to stop posting here which is something I don't wish to do to anyone.

Also do not endorse my name in your posts. You do not have the right to say what I feel or what I think. I will speak for myself. My patience with you is really wearing thin.

I don't even feel PMG is remotely at fault (this time). I do wish however he'd be more mature and realize that by even acknowledging oldred's post and poking fun that he would only just trigger another similar post by oldred. However what he said was true in this case.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 01:57:14 PM »
Now, back to Jarrid Famous:

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/08/12/trying-to-get-famous/

With a name like Jarrid Famous, he’s got to have a bright career ahead of him.

Famous is a 6-foot-11, 235-pound forward from The Bronx who is entering his second season at Westchester Community College.

Famous is a hot name on the recruiting trail right now and WCC associate head coach Dave Vandiver says a few schools have been working the hardest.

“He’s getting recruited by Seton Hall, Rhode Island, Oklahoma and Missouri,” Vandiver said Tuesday by phone. “Rhode Island was the first to come aboard.

“His stock is just starting to get higher and higher.”

Vandiver said St. John’s was also involved and that Famous “is interested in Rutgers as well.”

“Jarrid is interested in the Big East,” Vandiver said. “He wants to play in the Big East.”

Famous averaged 21.8 points, 11 rebounds and 4 blocks last season as a freshman at WCC, earning All-Region XV First-Team honors. Incoming Seton Hall freshman Jamel Jackson of TCI also made the first team.

Famous had five 30-point games, including a career-high 38 in a 67-65 loss to Jackson and TCI. He also posted two 16-rebound games, one of 18 boards and another of 19. Famous has one year remaining there and then would have two years of Division I eligibility.

“Last year Jarrid really developed all parts of his game,” Vandiver said. “He played more of the 3 and the 4. He’s starting to step out to the 10-15 (foot) area. He’s still a low post, back-to-the-basket player, but he can face up more and he’s putting the ball on the floor.”

Vandiver said he is encouraging Famous to wait before making a hasty college commitment.

“His stock is going up,” Vandiver said. “He’s geting all the looks. Being 7 feet, everybody and their mother is going to try to get at you. I told him, ‘Don’t go for the ESPN contract.’”
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 01:58:04 PM by peter »

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 02:55:14 PM »
“His stock is going up,” Vandiver said. “He’s geting all the looks. Being 7 feet, everybody and their mother is going to try to get at you. I told him, ‘Don’t go for the ESPN contract.’”

Is he telling him don't go to the Big East just because you'll be on TV?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2008, 10:11:35 AM »
Apparently, the Johnnies are still looking at the guy, along with U Conne, DePaul, Seton Hall (where he will visit), West Virginia, Missouri, Oklahoma State.  St. John's went to watch him last Friday.:

http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/09/22/famous-to-visit-seton-hall/

Marillac

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2008, 03:11:15 AM »
The kid was AWFUL out of high school, but has improved tremendously.  He's not an impact Big East player and it is just that simple.  I coached against him this past year.  I'd put him at the MAAC level.  He'd offer St. John's next to nothing besides a backup center with size.  If that is what the staff wants, then fine, but but don't expect a guy that will come in and give use 12 and 10.