Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL

• 369 replies
Re: Zach Brown - C - Miami, FL - ST. JOHN'S
« Reply #160 on: November 27, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
Will he be eligible though?

I've wondered the same.  I think he can help us next season, if he's able to play.

PIB

« Reply #161 on: November 27, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
We need a true BIG MAN, someone who can post up in the paint, play with their back to the rim, and get some points for us down low -bonus if he can draw fouls and get to the line...

We have the PG to get him the rock... Let's just pray he has the grades and ability...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 01:07:26 PM by PIB »

paultzman

« Reply #162 on: November 27, 2016, 07:45:10 PM »
Per Zach Smart

Zach Brown is averaging 15PPG and 13RPG and steadily improving conditioning and evolving right hand. SJU commit is Focused
4:24 PM - 27 Nov 2016
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 07:51:38 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2016, 04:49:19 PM »
Does anyone understand the vaguaries of NCAA eligibility, and willing to explain it?

In relation to Brown, of course...

« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2016, 05:44:57 PM »
I wish the NCAA would tell these young guys while see in high school they have to complete this course and not wait for the kid to enroll in a college and then tell them they cant play

Marillac

« Reply #165 on: December 13, 2016, 07:41:12 PM »
Does anyone understand the vaguaries of NCAA eligibility, and willing to explain it?

In relation to Brown, of course...

With Zach it's pretty simple:  he's been to four high schools and has been arrested.  It's never a good sign to attend numerous high schools, as it complicates the certification process with classes that may have overlapping content that won't count towards the required 16 core classes. E.g., one school might have a stand-alone algebra course while another might include algebra and geometry.  Completing both courses would likely only yield only one credit in the transcript evaluation.

Additionally, each student-athlete has to graduate and earn a qualifying SAT or ACT score and qualifying GPA (sliding scale) before they can be eligible.  Zach's past, though, makes him ripe for rumors that he won't meet those conditions. 

« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2016, 07:52:42 PM »
I know pretty much the entire NCAA enforcement and eligibility departments. They are all good people who are accessible and resourceful. Unfortunately it's about 8 people total for every sport across the country.

Marillac did a pretty solid job explaining the basics of the root of most problems. Standards of classes from school to school is difficult. It doesn't help when a kid goes from all C's to straight A's in his next school taking more difficult classes. Additionally some of these kids attend schools that aren't recognized by the NCAA which is really a travesty and bad guidance from adults in their life.

I think Zach will be ok but might take a bit to verify everything from the NCAA like it did with Yakwe.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #167 on: December 13, 2016, 08:19:51 PM »
I know pretty much the entire NCAA enforcement and eligibility departments. They are all good people who are accessible and resourceful. Unfortunately it's about 8 people total for every sport across the country.

Marillac did a pretty solid job explaining the basics of the root of most problems. Standards of classes from school to school is difficult. It doesn't help when a kid goes from all C's to straight A's in his next school taking more difficult classes. Additionally some of these kids attend schools that aren't recognized by the NCAA which is really a travesty and bad guidance from adults in their life.

I think Zach will be ok but might take a bit to verify everything from the NCAA like it did with Yakwe.
We got lucky with Yakwe thanks to Kansas getting a law firm involved in the Diallo situation which was similar to Yakwe and why the NCAA finally cleared him.

MCNPA

« Reply #168 on: December 13, 2016, 11:35:26 PM »

It begs the question, for such a large, powerful and rich organization, why is this department only staffed by 8 people?  Why are kids careers hanging in the balance because the NCAA doesn't want to staff the department?  It isn't lack of resources.  I'm trying to figure this one out.

Foad

« Reply #169 on: December 14, 2016, 09:40:30 AM »

It begs the question, for such a large, powerful and rich organization, why is this department only staffed by 8 people?  Why are kids careers hanging in the balance because the NCAA doesn't want to staff the department?  It isn't lack of resources.  I'm trying to figure this one out.

To be fair to the NCAA they were forced to allocate a great percentage of their resources to their investigation of the Lamar University men's golf program. Because you have to have priorities.

goredmen

« Reply #170 on: December 14, 2016, 11:41:05 AM »

Because the NCAA is one of the dumbest, most corrupt organizations in the country. The execs wouldn't consider taking money out of their own pockets by hiring more help. Only they are allowed to make money in this process

« Reply #171 on: December 15, 2016, 02:18:01 PM »
St. John's checking in on signee Zach Brown today in Miami. #sjubb

Per Zach - The man with all the inside information regarding SJU.

goredmen

« Reply #172 on: December 15, 2016, 02:23:07 PM »

You mean the guy that laughed at everybody mentioning Slice leaving rumors?

« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »
That's the man - he was laughing at SJU - because he couldn't believe somebody making 500K - would do absolutely nothing for the program.

The only thing he did was tell the players where the best piazza was.
If he worked one tenth as hard as Matt - maybe we could have recruited better players.
How can one man be in a hundred places.
They need another assistant coach to help them recruit.

« Reply #174 on: December 15, 2016, 03:43:55 PM »

You mean the guy that laughed at everybody mentioning Slice leaving rumors?

Was he also the same guy saying Lavin was getting extension?

« Reply #175 on: December 15, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
Yeah he was the guy that said Richardson was the steal of the draft - he was right - of the top scorers in the D-League.

PIB

« Reply #176 on: December 18, 2016, 09:56:12 AM »

Because the NCAA is one of the dumbest, most corrupt organizations in the country. The execs wouldn't consider taking money out of their own pockets by hiring more help. Only they are allowed to make money in this process

Correct. They are a major group of disingenuous sc@mbags. 
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 09:56:38 AM by PIB »

paultzman

« Reply #177 on: January 02, 2017, 05:12:23 PM »
Has not been playing lately for his school, Calusa Prep.

Very shaky, tenuous situation IMO from beginning, but worth the shot.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 05:16:39 PM by paultzman »

desco80

« Reply #178 on: January 02, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »
That sounds good.  A kid who has a pending criminal case , and has already transferred to numerous high schools isn't playing in games.

I'm sure it's for a good reason.  Probably has a sick relative.

Zach is throwing away a golden ticket.  He's a 7ft basketball phenom.  Take control of your life man! 

« Reply #179 on: January 02, 2017, 05:40:58 PM »
Sounds like time to move on to me