Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks. - TENNESSEE

• 178 replies

MCNPA

Re: Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks.
« Reply #120 on: February 03, 2017, 01:33:42 PM »
Ouch..: this one really hurts.  To lose a big man and the only freshman in this class.  We shall see what the staff comes up with.  Obviously this was option A.

Re: Derrick Walker, PF, MOKAN Elite, Ks. - TENNESSEE
« Reply #121 on: February 03, 2017, 01:35:05 PM »
Ouch..: this one really hurts.  To lose a big man and the only freshman in this class.  We shall see what the staff comes up with.  Obviously this was option A.

Option B. Zach Brown was Option A.

« Reply #122 on: February 03, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »

The problem is, is that this guy was option A

wpc77

« Reply #123 on: February 03, 2017, 01:37:58 PM »
Prior SJU coaches would've matched most offers.  Proud of Mullin here. 

But knowing what could've happened, you would hope a plan B is in place.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 01:39:14 PM by wpc77 »

QuanMan

« Reply #124 on: February 03, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »
On the heels of the ZB fiasco, this is quite the lackluster start to 2017 for Matt.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #125 on: February 03, 2017, 01:48:45 PM »
What kind of $$ are we talking about in a scenario like this (not Walker per se, but a kid of this level)?

Johnny23

« Reply #126 on: February 03, 2017, 01:48:59 PM »
This is where real scouting comes into play.

If we can't get the 4 or 5 star then go find a kid who's a wide body 3 star type and let him develop.

Boston College used to be great at that when they were in the BE with Danya Abrams and some big white kid from Michigan in the early 2000's.

Those kids can be just as effective in college.

Danya Abrams was considered a top 70 recruit coming out of high school.  Abrams was actually a big time scorer and rebounder (coming out of HS).  He was also named "Mr. Basketball" in New York during his senior year in HS, too.

Abrams was more of a 4-star kid, and he had better credentials than Walker, coming out of HS.

You're missing my point. And I didn't recall Abrams being that highly ranked coming out of HS but even if he was, he still far exceeded expectations at the college level.

The point is the staff needs to cast a wider net for potential recruits. Between this region, Europe and every other area that this staff recruits, there has to be a few strong bigs left on the market.

« Reply #127 on: February 03, 2017, 01:49:30 PM »
Dammmmnnn.

« Reply #128 on: February 03, 2017, 01:50:17 PM »
It's official he chose Tennessee.

wpc77

« Reply #129 on: February 03, 2017, 01:52:12 PM »
What kind of $$ are we talking about in a scenario like this (not Walker per se, but a kid of this level)?

Well, in 1995 a classmate of mine at ND, who played hoops there from 95-99, had been offered $5k a year by a school who was then a top tier team in the Big East.  And my classmate was the equivalent of a 3/4 star, not an elite recruit.  So I can only imagine what the going rate is now when you adjust your shady under the table dollars for inflation!

« Reply #130 on: February 03, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »
Not to sound like sour grapes, but he is the 68th ranked power forward.  I would hope we can find a suitable replacement for him.

« Reply #131 on: February 03, 2017, 01:57:10 PM »
This is where real scouting comes into play.

If we can't get the 4 or 5 star then go find a kid who's a wide body 3 star type and let him develop.

Boston College used to be great at that when they were in the BE with Danya Abrams and some big white kid from Michigan in the early 2000's.

Those kids can be just as effective in college.

Danya Abrams was considered a top 70 recruit coming out of high school.  Abrams was actually a big time scorer and rebounder (coming out of HS).  He was also named "Mr. Basketball" in New York during his senior year in HS, too.

Abrams was more of a 4-star kid, and he had better credentials than Walker, coming out of HS.

You're missing my point. And I didn't recall Abrams being that highly ranked coming out of HS but even if he was, he still far exceeded expectations at the college level.

The point is the staff needs to cast a wider net for potential recruits. Between this region, Europe and every other area that this staff recruits, there has to be a few strong bigs left on the market.

No, I'm not missing your point.  Yes, Abrams was a top 70 recruit coming out of HS.  You saying, he exceeded expectations is subjective, but based on his HS ranking, then I'm not sure he exactly exceeded expectations on the collegiate level.

http://www.hoopscooponline.com/members/top100classof1993.html

I also think the staff should cast a wider net for potential recruits.  A poster called me a few days saying something similar.  We're certainly trying to build up the roster, and coming up snake eyes on the 2017 class, as far as bringing in freshmen, isn't quite the best look.     
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:00:24 PM by mjdinkins »

MCNPA

« Reply #132 on: February 03, 2017, 01:58:03 PM »
Whiffing a bit for 2017 has set us back a bit.  Not necessarily for next season, but with respect to scholarship distribution.  Our new option A has to be grabbing a talented 5th year PF/C for next season.  Could always do that and grab a late surging freshman at any position if one pops up, and they always do in the spring.  Nothing is over yet.  Still plenty of recruiting to do here.

paultzman

« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2017, 02:02:38 PM »
Matt will target Juco & fifth year transfer pool it appears.

« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:21 PM »
Whiffing a bit for 2017 has set us back a bit.  Not necessarily for next season, but with respect to scholarship distribution.  Our new option A has to be grabbing a talented 5th year PF/C for next season.  Could always do that and grab a late surging freshman at any position if one pops up, and they always do in the spring.  Nothing is over yet.  Still plenty of recruiting to do here.

Scholarship distribution is what I intended to say in my previous post.  Thanks for bringing it up, MCN!

I do agree, there is plenty of time left and there could be a possible, surging HS senior or even someone reneging on their previous commitment.  But, we're someone in a tight spot at the moment, though.

« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2017, 02:03:45 PM »

Matt should call Grasso and ask for some tips

« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »
You don't like Matt's recruiting to date?

Matt should call Grasso and ask for some tips

MCNPA

« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2017, 02:36:31 PM »
Matt has been great.  It's not easy rebuilding a team from scratch and it won't take 2 recruiting seasons, that's for sure.  We definitely need a very good and balanced 18' class, but our roster is a nice one with lots of good young players.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 02:38:48 PM by mjdinkins »

« Reply #139 on: February 03, 2017, 02:39:42 PM »
Roster balance is always hard when you have to start from scratch with so many freshman in a given class.  I'm confident this staff knows how to address the issue.  We were going after very few, selected targets for 2017 once the two transfers came on board.  Add a big or two next year (depending on roster movement) and load up for 2018 and we should fine in that sense.  Matt was very successful playing the transfer game at Iowa St.