• 11 replies

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
ESPN's Most Prestigious Programs
« on: July 22, 2008, 12:45:11 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3491747

St. John's checks in at 36.

Description of the grading:

How do you rank the best programs in the modern era of college basketball?

It's not easy, but this summer, we decided to tackle the hundreds of college basketball teams, the thousands of regular-season and postseason wins and losses, the NBA draft picks, the All-Americans and the national titles to come up with a numerical point system to unbiasedly rank every college hoops program's success since the start of the 1984-85 season, the season when the NCAA tournament expanded to 64 teams.

We let the numbers do the talking by assigning the following point values for certain successes and failures.

• National title … 25
• Title game loss … 20
• National semifinal loss … 15
• Elite Eight loss … 10
• Best W-L record in conference's regular season … 5
• 30+ wins in a season … 5
• Sweet 16 loss … 5
• Conference tournament title … 3
• AP first-team All-American … 3
• Losing in NCAA second round … 3
• Player in top 10 of NBA draft … 2
• NCAA first-round win as a 12-16 seed … 2
• NIT title … 2
• AP second-team All-American … 2
• 20-29 wins in a season … 1
• NCAA tournament berth … 1
• Postseason NIT berth … 1
• AP third-team All-American … 1
• NCAA first-round loss to a 12-16 seed … -2
• Losing season … -3
• Ban from NCAA tournament … -3
>> Minimum 15 seasons in Division I
** Ties are broken by overall winning percentage since the 1984-85 season
^^ Teams are listed with their current conferences

On Monday, we unveiled teams Nos. 41-50.

Now we continue the countdown to No. 1.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:46:32 PM by peter »

Re: ESPN's Most Prestigious Programs
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 02:37:56 PM »
we're a school in free fall.  where do you think we'll rank next year?  this list makes our situation all the sadder.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 01:34:18 AM »
I haven't had time this week to really check this out but this is really an interesting article idea especially for the offseason. Some interesting methodology to figure this all out too. I'm not sure how I feel about the ban only being -3...I think it could be weighted more because this certainly hurts a school's prestige.

Something that I found to be very interesting is that we've had 10 losing seasons which is certainly a lot more than any other team listed around our school. I think we should have gotten the nod over Alabama and Penn. Of course there are going to be loop holes into the system no way Penn is more prestigious than St. John's when it comes to basketball. Penn does very well in the Ivy league but Ivy doesn't hold a candle to Big East.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 01:38:14 AM by JJ »
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:45:03 AM »
we're a school in free fall.  where do you think we'll rank next year?  this list makes our situation all the sadder.

SJU started it's free-fall courtesy of ur buddy Jarvis..  ::) .. who completely DESTROYED our program. And anyone who knows anything about college hoops(which u obviously don't) realized it would take 4-5 years to dig out from the rubble.  The foundation is now in place & we are two or three players away from being back among the "elite" of the conference.  That is either going to happen this year with the likes of Lawrence, Parrom, Stephenson, Scott, etc... or u whinners will get ur wish & Norm will be gone. Either way he will have left this program in MUCH better shape than he found it. PERIOD.

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:21:35 AM »

SJU started it's free-fall courtesy of ur buddy Jarvis..  ::) .. who completely DESTROYED our program. And anyone who knows anything about college hoops(which u obviously don't) realized it would take 4-5 years to dig out from the rubble.  The foundation is now in place & we are two or three players away from being back among the "elite" of the conference.  That is either going to happen this year with the likes of Lawrence, Parrom, Stephenson, Scott, etc... or u whinners will get ur wish & Norm will be gone. Either way he will have left this program in MUCH better shape than he found it. PERIOD.
your argument is way too tired already, scotch, rednutz, redscout, redrum and whatever name you're going by these days.  give it a rest and come back when there's real NEWS to report...not gee whizzing us to death. 

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:35:54 AM »

Our talent may improve this season but lets not forget that Coaches like Huggins, Boeheim, Dixon, JTIII, Pitino, Calhoun, Wright, etc are bringing in very good to great classes year after year. We truly have a long way to go in that department IMHO. 

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 06:42:59 AM »

Our talent may improve this season but lets not forget that Coaches like Huggins, Boeheim, Dixon, JTIII, Pitino, Calhoun, Wright, etc are bringing in very good to great classes year after year. We truly have a long way to go in that department IMHO. 

St. John's should have known that bringing in a first time head coach into the Big East would take a lot of time to develop especially when he was limited in scholarships and post season eligible. If I were a recruit and I saw a unknown coach + sanctions red flags would be thrown up immediately. Its do or die time now though because eventually you have to turn the corner and you can't use the excuse as a crutch.

Does everyone think Nova is more of a prestigious school than St. John's?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 01:34:29 PM »
"Does everyone think Nova is more of a prestigious school than St. John's?"

academically it is...hands down.

basketballwise it's always "what are you doing for me today."

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 03:03:35 PM »

Agree
They won a title. We haven't.

This decade is of most relevance to the people Roberts is recruiting and they've been an upper-echelon BE team this decade, while we've been in the toilet for the better part of the decade.

Academically, I guess they're better.

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2008, 03:12:17 PM »

They won a natl championship in 85. that alone is more prestigious...hands down.

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 05:38:35 PM »

Does everyone think Nova is more of a prestigious school than St. John's?

In every respect.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2008, 05:46:58 PM »
Academics who cares...This is about Basketball...Now Nova vs SJU...Right now I say Nova...reasons why Jay Wright, Good recruiting classes, consistent in the Big East as of right now.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 05:49:59 PM by Cross61 »