-Creighton, X, and Nova are first three and all ranked in top 15
-Butler is a top 25-30 team
-Providence is at least on the bubble
-SH is in if Delgado returns
-Depaul and Gtown win a combined 4 games or less
-We finish 10-8

Re: 17/18 Expectations
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
I don't care who they bring in barring a top five stud.  This team will straddle .500 into infinity if no one teaches defense.

How many teams that young play good defense? As I read from Calipari, Smart and others, they all comment how long it takes for young players to learn defense. Especially challenging when you don't have junior or senior leadership to learn from.

TONYD3

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »
I don't care who they bring in barring a top five stud.  This team will straddle .500 into infinity if no one teaches defense.

How many teams that young play good defense? As I read from Calipari, Smart and others, they all comment how long it takes for young players to learn defense. Especially challenging when you don't have junior or senior leadership to learn from.
How many teams give up 90 points regularly? None that I can remember. Not only did we give up 108 points to Villanova we didn't earn a foul against them until almost 5 minutes into the second half. Soft teams don't win.
I don't know if Mike rice is the answer but someone needs to be brought in. Mullin looks more aware but st. Jean is still preparing the team mainly by himself. We were non competive in most of our losses. This team has a long way to go to make the NIT.

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
Not only did we give up 108 points to Villanova we didn't earn a foul against them until almost 5 minutes into the second half. 

I was there and couldn't believe it.  I don't recall a team at any level not being called for a foul in an entire half.

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2017, 01:16:28 PM »
We were 131 on KenPom for defense. P6 schools worse were Auburn, Oklahoma St, Virigina Tech, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Marquette,  DePaul, Wake Forest, Oregon St, Washington St, Washington,  and Arizona St.  Bobby Hurley had the worst P6 defense.  4 teams worse defensively than us made the Tournament. We need to get better defensively if we want to compete, but there are worse teams out there.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 02:15:17 PM »
We were 131 on KenPom for defense. P6 schools worse were Auburn, Oklahoma St, Virigina Tech, Pittsburgh, Boston College, Marquette,  DePaul, Wake Forest, Oregon St, Washington St, Washington,  and Arizona St.  Bobby Hurley had the worst P6 defense.  4 teams worse defensively than us made the Tournament. We need to get better defensively if we want to compete, but there are worse teams out there.
totally agreed, we played at a fast tempo which made our offense look better than it is and defense look worse, but the truth is were both pretty bad

cjfish

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »
The math is incredibly favorable to us for next season. I predict:

-The conference will get 7 or 8 bids
-Eighth place team will be 9-9 in conference
-No team loses less than 4 games
-Creighton, X, and Nova are first three and all ranked in top 15
-Butler is a top 25-30 team
-Providence is at least on the bubble
-SH is in if Delgado returns
-Depaul and Gtown win a combined 4 games or less
-We finish 10-8

I agree with most of what you are saying.  Don't think conference will get more than 7 bids......8 teams at 500 or better is unlikely unless GT and DEPAUL reach new levels of poor play. SJU should finish 5th or 6th, make the NCAA and finish around 9 or 10 wins.  The backcourt will obviously be outstanding and deep as kids have a year under their belt and Mussini spoting up and beng found as ball movement improves.  My only question is whether Simon can guard the opposing teams best guard or SF, if so things will go well.  Clarke should be tough inside.  If we can recruit a tough guy or 2 for rebounding and D upside could be 11 wins.  Biggest problem is backcourt D of Lovett and Ponds....Lovett has to learn not to fall down and get back on D AND THEY BOTH NEED TO DRASTICALLY IMPROVE THEIR POSITIONAL D.   If most things go right 4th is a possibility......guard offense should be awesome.

« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2017, 11:26:04 AM »
I expect us to play in NCAA 8/9 game if Lovett returns next year. If we are not playing in that game next year, I think it might be awhile before we see our name called on Selection Sunday

« Reply #28 on: April 04, 2017, 05:17:04 PM »
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bracketology

Lunardi not expecting much from St Johns.

Foad

« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2017, 05:28:41 PM »

Did the MAAC lose its automatic bid? This has Fairfield at 16 in a play in game.

« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2017, 05:41:58 PM »

Did the MAAC lose its automatic bid? This has Fairfield at 16 in a play in game.

If Iona doesn't win the MAAC tournament, it will

goredmen

« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2017, 10:23:38 PM »

Might as well be picking names out of a hat for that, which he might have done

Johnny23

« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2017, 11:10:00 PM »

Not surprising. This team has to make huge strides (far from given) to entertain any thoughts of dancing next year.

Marillac

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 12:27:39 AM »
Lunardi is useless until February.  He has Xavier as a seven seed when they return their five best players from an elite eight team and bring in their best ever recruiting class, including a top 30 recruit to play PG.

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »
Get Bob Hurley Sr., on the phone asap to be our bench coach.