Bob Oliva

• 10 replies
Bob Oliva
« on: July 26, 2008, 04:52:54 PM »
Sounds like a shakedown to me

http://nychoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=830544
After NYCHoops first reported that members of the Christ the King athletic department had a team meeting regarding the job status of Royals head coach Bob Oliva, The NY Daily News later followed up with a detailed report of what may have prompted such a meeting.

Coach Bob Oliva
The report revealed that Oliva notified school officials that there are allegations that back in April he received a letter from a Florida law firm. In the April letter, Oliva was accused of repeatedly molesting Jimmy Carlino 30 years ago when Carlino was thirteen years old.

Oliva told the high school's administrators and board of trustees that he has been falsely accused of sexually abusing Carlino. The NY Daily News report states that Oliva called Carlino his godson at one time, and his friends believe that the accuser is only looking to cash in after his removal from Oliva's will.

The Florida law firm referred calls to Michael Dowd, who the NY Daily News report states is investigating Carlino's claim.

The accuser also claims ex-Mets and Yankees player Allen Watson could verify his claim of abuse. However, Watson spoke to the NY Daily News and stated that Carlino allegations are false.

Another NYC basketball coach told the NY Daily News that Carlino attended Archbishop Molloy High School, not Christ the King. The anonymous coach said Oliva met Carlino, in Queens three decades ago. At one time Oliva was Carlino's Cathloic Youth Organization coach.

A nameless player who is returning to Christ the King in the fall told the NY Daily News that there was a team meeting held with Christ the King players and the players were told about the April letter. The team players were told Oliva had to resign by July 21 or face public exposure.

Bob Oliva is well respected in the basketball community and Christ the King school boast a rich alumni that has produced numerous top athletes through the years. Most recently, St. John's Malik Boothe, Florida commit Erving Walker and George Mason bound Ryan Pearson.

Notably, NBA's Wendall Alexis, Erick Barkley, Speedy Claxton, Omar Cook, Lamar Odom, Derrick Phelps, Khalid Reeves and Jayson Williams. WNBA's Shay Doron, Chamique Holdsclaw and Sue Bird. Former MLB Yankee players Allen Watson and Steve Karsay are also alumni.

Re: Bob Oliva
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 05:01:26 PM »
I really think that people who make these false accusations should be punished because its so easy to throw them out there and even if proven innocent its still so damaging to the accused. People might whisper now if Oliva touches a kid on his shoulder or has his arm around a player. Its really stupid stuff but its something I think is very wrong.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Randomhero423

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
isn't that defamation?

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 06:19:17 PM »
scary stuff...a friend of mine's father (a teacher) was accused of molesting a 12 year old.  No proof...the girl came forward several years later.  He was forced to retire and his name has been dragged through the mud.  The guy works 30 years with perfect record...one accusation and he's forced to retire and his life is ruined...just terrible...and he doesn't have the money to countersue.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 08:37:23 PM »
Bob Oliva aint no molester.
He is a straight up leader of young men.
I hope these here allegations prove to be false. I got confidence they do.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:17 AM »
Whether hes guilty or not of this, I think hes coached  his last game at Christ the King. How could they bring him back? Sad situation

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 12:13:49 AM »
i was the one that printed the original (and first) report on this case about CTK holding a team meeting regarding the accusations.  i am also hearing from a few sources that there will be additional people coming forward to back up jimmy carlino.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 12:18:16 AM »
i was the one that printed the original (and first) report on this case about CTK holding a team meeting regarding the accusations.  i am also hearing from a few sources that there will be additional people coming forward to back up jimmy carlino.

To backup his statements or to claim the same accusations?

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 10:21:57 AM »

p.s. - choz said it best... Bobby Oliva is a good man... peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 10:43:14 AM »

Its a shame this has become public before others come forward or some actual proof has been provided.  Especially since one person already has not corroborated with jimmy's statements.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2008, 11:32:36 AM »

to make new accusations, is what i hear. on a personal note, i hope these charges are dropped because of all the coaches i have dealt with on the nyc basketball circuit, coach oliva has always been one of the most personable and likable coaches around.

"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap