Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks

• 189 replies

Poison

Re: Corruption Probe in the Recruiting Ranks
« Reply #140 on: September 30, 2017, 08:25:18 AM »
Wasn't there an article once that stated Obekpa's recruitment was one of the dirtiest at the time?

That was just some jealous loser's attempt to slander Coach Lavs.

Has a Lav program ever been put on probation because how he ran it?

No, he gets fired for sucking long before that's an issue. I doubt he was aware of any improprieties that might have occurred while he was on staff at UCLA that got Harrick fired and he didn't ask Sam Gilbert to be best man at his wedding so no doubt he's clean. Anyway I wasn't saying anything about Coach Lav's ethics so I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to slam him gratuitously as a lazy bloated vacuous incompetent buffoon.

It's a good thing we got rid of him and brought in someone who knows what he's doing so we won't suck anymore.

« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2017, 10:07:12 AM »
I'm sure lavs losses sleep at night knowing you don't care for him smh

« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »
I was just thinking, Daves been very quite since this broke.

Just extremely busy with work. I don't really have much to say on the matter except it's unfortunate for the sport to have this black cloud over it. These people are a small percentage and the majority do a lot of good for the game and have a positive influence in these young men and women's lives.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2017, 12:36:00 PM »
I was just thinking, Daves been very quite since this broke.

Just extremely busy with work. I don't really have much to say on the matter except it's unfortunate for the sport to have this black cloud over it. These people are a small percentage and the majority do a lot of good for the game and have a positive influence in these young men and women's lives.

Im going to guess that the more lucrative the basketball/football program is to the school, in terms of alumni giving and/or revenue, the higher the percentage of this type of activity occurring.

redslope

« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2017, 01:05:32 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/30/rick-pitino-issues-statement-louisville-scandal/

What a POS excuse--his Third item is total BS.  He did not take responsibility as the "leader"/head coach.  He said he did not know (as Sgt. Schultz); but as HC he takes ownership for HIS decisions which had nothing to do with the bribes that he did not know about?

« Reply #146 on: September 30, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2017/09/30/rick-pitino-issues-statement-louisville-scandal/

What a POS excuse--his Third item is total BS.  He did not take responsibility as the "leader"/head coach.  He said he did not know (as Sgt. Schultz); but as HC he takes ownership for HIS decisions which had nothing to do with the bribes that he did not know about?
About a year ago in a presser Pitino said he was told by an assistant that Louisville couldn't recruit a player because he was tied to a different sneaker company and he said who knew you couldn't recruit a kid because of sneaker companies. Meanwhile everybody knows how much influence sneaker companies have had on recruiting for like the last 30 years. It really smacked of bullshit then and it seems everything that comes out of Pitino's mouth is total BS.

« Reply #147 on: October 01, 2017, 01:52:17 AM »
Wasn't there an article once that stated Obekpa's recruitment was one of the dirtiest at the time?

No, he gets fired for sucking long before that's an issue. I doubt he was aware of any improprieties that might have occurred while he was on staff at UCLA that got Harrick fired and he didn't ask Sam Gilbert to be best man at his wedding so no doubt he's clean. Anyway I wasn't saying anything about Coach Lav's ethics so I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to slam him gratuitously as a lazy bloated vacuous incompetent buffoon.

- During Lavin's tenure as a head coach, he was one of only two coaches in the country to lead a team to five NCAA Regional Semifinals (Sweet 16's) in six seasons - the other coach being Duke's Mike Krzyzewski.

- Lavin’s record at UCLA in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament was 10-1. His winning percentage (90.9%) in the first two rounds is second only to Dean Smith in NCAA Tournament history.

- Lavin is the only college coach to have defeated the No. 1 team in the country in four consecutive collegiate seasons: Stanford in 2000 and 2001, Kansas in 2002 and Arizona in 2003.

- Lavin advanced to the NCAA Elite Eight in 1997

« Reply #148 on: October 01, 2017, 02:10:42 AM »

- During Lavin's tenure as a head coach, he was one of only two coaches in the country to lead a team to five NCAA Regional Semifinals (Sweet 16's) in six seasons - the other coach being Duke's Mike Krzyzewski.

- Lavin’s record at UCLA in the first and second rounds of the NCAA tournament was 10-1. His winning percentage (90.9%) in the first two rounds is second only to Dean Smith in NCAA Tournament history.

- Lavin is the only college coach to have defeated the No. 1 team in the country in four consecutive collegiate seasons: Stanford in 2000 and 2001, Kansas in 2002 and Arizona in 2003.

And we ran him straight out of town after 3/5 20 win seasons.

Poison

« Reply #149 on: October 01, 2017, 08:59:57 AM »

St.John's is a harder job because the overall quality of the student body and alumni. UCLA is a revered institution. We cannot be compared to a program with an advantage like that. Lavin was overrated when he came here, but he was still better than what we ended up which is massive carelessnesss.

ras

« Reply #150 on: October 01, 2017, 01:22:34 PM »

St.John's is a harder job because the overall quality of the student body and alumni. UCLA is a revered institution. We cannot be compared to a program with an advantage like that. Lavin was overrated when he came here, but he was still better than what we ended up which is massive carelessnesss.
Your only judging Mullin after 2 years , need more time to evaluate. Lavin came in like a lion. Great recruiting class , great first year on the court, but fizzled out. His recruiting efforts declined, going after questionable players and waiting until last minute. He also did not balance out classes .  IMO his
coaching is probably average. The teams he had at UCLA, had Kentucky like recruits. He underachieved relative to the talent he had.

« Reply #151 on: October 01, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »

Lavin ran himself out of town or should I say slogged.

Poison

« Reply #152 on: October 01, 2017, 02:01:34 PM »

Your only judging Mullin after 2 years , need more time to evaluate. Lavin came in like a lion. Great recruiting class , great first year on the court, but fizzled out. His recruiting efforts declined, going after questionable players and waiting until last minute. He also did not balance out classes .  IMO his
coaching is probably average. The teams he had at UCLA, had Kentucky like recruits. He underachieved relative to the talent he had.

That's fair, but Mullin so far has had less success in every aspect of the game than Lavin did. We are all aware that he had better talent at UCLA, but was it really that good? I count one NBA all star. Gadzuric was a beast in high school, but in college, not so much.

Foad

« Reply #153 on: October 01, 2017, 02:18:15 PM »
That's fair, but Mullin so far has had less success in every aspect of the game than Lavin did. We are all aware that he had better talent at UCLA, but was it really that good? I count one NBA all star. Gadzuric was a beast in high school, but in college, not so much.

13 first and second round picks is 10 years is pretty good talent.

PS Talk about wikipedia bias, coach Lav's article only mentions cancer eight times and Cap's death twice. To be fair those events should be much more prominent.

Poison

« Reply #154 on: October 01, 2017, 08:32:07 PM »

PS Talk about wikipedia bias, coach Lav's article only mentions cancer eight times and Cap's death twice. To be fair those events should be much more prominent.

I see. So Lavin got kids drafted that had no business being drafted.

« Reply #155 on: October 01, 2017, 09:50:14 PM »

Ran himself out with a Tourney appearance for a program that hadn't seen any for a decade before he arrived.

Poison

« Reply #156 on: October 02, 2017, 12:56:00 AM »

Ran himself out with a Tourney appearance for a program that hadn't seen any for a decade before he arrived.

When Lavin recruits Jordan, a kid with no criminal record, and things don't end well, it's Lavin's fault. We had to let him go because we needed to stop the cycle of kids like Jordan, Harrison and Obekpa. Mind you, 3 kids with no criminal record, and only one who eventually earned one.

When Mullin recruits Zach Brown, a kid with a criminal record, and that kid commits another crime before he even put on the STJ uniform, somehow Mullin isn't to blame. It's the kid's fault.

« Reply #157 on: October 02, 2017, 01:18:58 AM »
Your like the riddler

Foad

« Reply #158 on: October 02, 2017, 08:42:19 AM »

I see. So Lavin got kids drafted that had no business being drafted.

So your position is that Coachlavs was an awful lazy recruiter at UCLA, just as he was at SJ, recruiting as he did kids who had no business being drafted at a program that had been up to then an NBA factory.

Foad

« Reply #159 on: October 02, 2017, 08:53:00 AM »
When Lavin recruits Jordan, a kid with no criminal record, and things don't end well, it's Lavin's fault. We had to let him go because we needed to stop the cycle of kids like Jordan, Harrison and Obekpa. Mind you, 3 kids with no criminal record, and only one who eventually earned one.

Please cite a source for your belief that Lavin was fired because he recruited the third leading scorer in SJ history. That is, who said when that Lavin must go because SJ's needs to recruit fewer players like D'angelo Harrison.

Please explain your belief that Harrison and Jordan are similarly situated moral actors. 

Please explain how Jordan committing a crime long after Lavin's firing was used as a rationale for firing Lavin. Are those drawings St Jean does on the bench  plans for a time machine?