Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential

• 106 replies

Poison

Re: Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 12:30:03 AM »
Justin Simon is the best NBA prospect we have.

He can’t shoot. He has actually overachieved as a shooter.

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2018, 12:40:34 AM »

I know he can't shoot, but as a prospect he checks SOME  boxes. No one else on this team is on an NBA radar at this point.

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2018, 05:16:51 AM »
Listen, I love Ponds just a much as the next guy, but this is just crazy talk right now. He is what we call a volume scorer.....will go 0-7 and hit 4 of his next  shots. He is far from an elite shooter and isn't even the best on our poor shooting team.  To make the jump to the next level he will have to get a lot stronger taking the ball to the rim and learn how to play team defense. He loses his man after ball screen switches way to easily. He shows signs of brilliance, and at other times shows very low basketball IQ. He definitely does have the potential for a huge Junior year if he puts in the work.

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2018, 11:43:15 AM »

I know he can't shoot, but as a prospect he checks SOME  boxes. No one else on this team is on an NBA radar at this point.

Why do you say he can't shoot?  He's shooting 47.5% from both the field and from three.

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2018, 11:47:39 AM »

agreed.  by senior year I could see kris dunn as a good comp for simon.  ( i don't get the ponds/dunn comparison at all)/

goredmen

« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2018, 11:53:26 AM »

agreed.  by senior year I could see kris dunn as a good comp for simon.  ( i don't get the ponds/dunn comparison at all)/

This whole people eating tide pods thing is really getting out of control

« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2018, 11:57:50 AM »

Why do you say he can't shoot?  He's shooting 47.5% from both the field and from three.

He has been efficient, but he doesn't trust his shot. How many times has he passed up a wide open jumper?  When he gets into the lane he uses a one hand floater instead of a pull up j. He has good instincts and makes his teammates better... You can't teach that. Hopefully he develops over the summer. He could be all conference.

« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »
Ponds only shot at NBA is if he becomes a true pg.  He's small, does not shoot well right now, does not make anyone around him better and plays no defense.  Good scorer for the college level.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 12:01:14 PM by rdstr25 »

QuanMan

« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2018, 12:03:33 PM »
30 Khyri Thomas' that are 20 pounds stronger and 5-10 years older are at the next level. Shamorie needs to watch a ton of personal film, get up a ton of shots and live in the weight room this Summer. I think he'll test the waters this Spring to get feedback and it'll be blessed by Mullin.

Khyri is an NBA player. His defense might sneak him into the first round THIS year. I predicted two months ago that he would shut Ponds down this year. He's too strong, but Ponds will catch up.

He ate him alive Marillac, twice. It was like watching a NBA player guard a college player. Just a thought, but I'd like to see Shamorie fly down to Houston and train with John Lucas this Summer.
Section 3
Section 116

« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2018, 09:24:44 PM »

He has been efficient, but he doesn't trust his shot. How many times has he passed up a wide open jumper?  When he gets into the lane he uses a one hand floater instead of a pull up j. He has good instincts and makes his teammates better... You can't teach that. Hopefully he develops over the summer. He could be all conference.

I see it differently.  Good shot selection and taking shots you can make and not taking one's you can't is big part of what makes one a good shooter.

He's also making a large amount of high degree of difficulty finishes close to and not so close to the rim as well.

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2018, 06:48:10 AM »
NBADraft.net has Shamorie Ponds as the last pick of the 2019 NBA Draft. I personally think that's way too low and I truly believe he could be picked in the 12-17 range by next season.

I think there are two solid comparisons for Ponds. Kris Dunn and Kemba Walker. I think both are a bit more explosive than Ponds but Ponds has a very crafty and agile athleticism. He has a great mid-range jump shot and he has a lot of dribble drive moves. He's an underrated passer and defender. I personally think he's a better passer and rebounder than Kemba was as a sophomore and junior but Kemba was a better scorer.

However, I don't think Shamorie is far off. I think what's hurt Shamorie's three ball this year was them trying to get him to play off ball and letting Lovett and Simon be more of the ball handlers. I think Shamorie needs the ball in his hand and he needs to create. If he can work on that and develop his ability to hit catch and shoot 3's, I think he could be, at least, a 35% shooter from 3. The other thing he'll need to work on is adding a little more muscle and focusing on drawing contact when he gets to the rim. He needs to know when and how to draw more fouls to get to the line.

His usage rate is almost where Kemba's was as a junior and Ponds has the same turnover% that Kemba had as a junior.

Shamorie has a Kyrie/Isaiah Thomas like ability to use the glass while driving (he isn't Kyrie and Isaiah is more athletic) and his ability to stop on a dime and hit a mid-range jumper is key. If he can add a floater, become a better off-ball player (look at the 3 he missed against Georgetown and then the one he hit), and learn how to draw contact more, he could be a dynamic player in the NBA. I think Kemba Walker would be his ceiling.

But maybe I'm biased. What do you guys think?

I'm the biggest Ponds fan going but Dunn and Walker are bad comps. Both are super athletes while Ponds is above average. And Dunn is like 6'3 225. Ponds seems to be more in the Mo Williams and Seth Curry category with a poor man's Steph Curry as his ceiling if his skills develop.

You can have your opinions on who was better between our guards the last 20 years, but Ponds is the best NBA guard prospect we've had in the 21st century. Better than Barkley and Cook and certainly better than Hatten, Hardy, and Harrison.
Before he skipped finals and tried to kill a dude Rysheed was a way better pro prospect.

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2018, 06:50:42 AM »
NBADraft.net has Shamorie Ponds as the last pick of the 2019 NBA Draft. I personally think that's way too low and I truly believe he could be picked in the 12-17 range by next season.

I think there are two solid comparisons for Ponds. Kris Dunn and Kemba Walker. I think both are a bit more explosive than Ponds but Ponds has a very crafty and agile athleticism. He has a great mid-range jump shot and he has a lot of dribble drive moves. He's an underrated passer and defender. I personally think he's a better passer and rebounder than Kemba was as a sophomore and junior but Kemba was a better scorer.

However, I don't think Shamorie is far off. I think what's hurt Shamorie's three ball this year was them trying to get him to play off ball and letting Lovett and Simon be more of the ball handlers. I think Shamorie needs the ball in his hand and he needs to create. If he can work on that and develop his ability to hit catch and shoot 3's, I think he could be, at least, a 35% shooter from 3. The other thing he'll need to work on is adding a little more muscle and focusing on drawing contact when he gets to the rim. He needs to know when and how to draw more fouls to get to the line.

His usage rate is almost where Kemba's was as a junior and Ponds has the same turnover% that Kemba had as a junior.

Shamorie has a Kyrie/Isaiah Thomas like ability to use the glass while driving (he isn't Kyrie and Isaiah is more athletic) and his ability to stop on a dime and hit a mid-range jumper is key. If he can add a floater, become a better off-ball player (look at the 3 he missed against Georgetown and then the one he hit), and learn how to draw contact more, he could be a dynamic player in the NBA. I think Kemba Walker would be his ceiling.

I'm sure NBA scouts are drooling at the prospect of taking a guard who is undersized, subpar on defense, and shoots under 20% from the 3 pt arc....
Sub-par is extremely kind. Ponds is atrocious on and off ball defensively. Just because he gets a few steals a game doesn't excuse the fact his defensive assignments consistently light us up.

« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2018, 06:54:26 AM »

I'm sure NBA scouts are drooling at the prospect of taking a guard who is undersized, subpar on defense, and shoots under 20% from the 3 pt arc....

How about a 90% FT shooter that can score at every level with perfect touch on his passes and elite NBA vision? Get this kid a capable ball handler to play with and he will be draining threes all over the court. He is going to be a plus plus NBA shooter that can get into his shot from any spot inside the half court in one dribble.
Lots of NBA scouts and draft prognosticators look at ft shooting % as a better indicator of shooting ability then college 3 pt %. I definitely agree ponds' lack of efficiency is more a result of lack of help,  poor shot selection and lack of squaring up instead of him just being a poor shooter. With that said,  he's no where close to being a 1st rd pick after this season.

« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2018, 09:12:58 AM »

How about a 90% FT shooter that can score at every level with perfect touch on his passes and elite NBA vision? Get this kid a capable ball handler to play with and he will be draining threes all over the court. He is going to be a plus plus NBA shooter that can get into his shot from any spot inside the half court in one dribble.
Lots of NBA scouts and draft prognosticators look at ft shooting % as a better indicator of shooting ability then college 3 pt %. I definitely agree ponds' lack of efficiency is more a result of lack of help,  poor shot selection and lack of squaring up instead of him just being a poor shooter. With that said,  he's no where close to being a 1st rd pick after this season.
Latest NBA mock draft does not have him getting drafted.

derk

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2018, 09:40:46 AM »
Listen, I love Ponds just a much as the next guy, but this is just crazy talk right now. He is what we call a volume scorer.....will go 0-7 and hit 4 of his next  shots. He is far from an elite shooter and isn't even the best on our poor shooting team.  To make the jump to the next level he will have to get a lot stronger taking the ball to the rim and learn how to play team defense. He loses his man after ball screen switches way to easily. He shows signs of brilliance, and at other times shows very low basketball IQ. He definitely does have the potential for a huge Junior year if he puts in the work.

Can't judge the kid this year. No doubt he is being overwhelmed by the pressure of having to be the man, and feeling the weight of carrying the team on his shoulders. Ease up on the kid. He is a very talented player who needs some direction and guidance.

« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2018, 11:14:45 AM »

Latest NBA mock draft does not have him getting drafted.
Shouldve said he's nowhere close to being a 2nd rd pick after this year but I'm trying to not be a complete negative nancy on every one of my posts.

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2018, 11:27:20 AM »
Dwight Hardy, Marcus Hatten, Bootsy Thorton, David Russell,  David Cain senior year, Dom Pointer senior year, Deangelo Harrison, Billy Goodwin, Boo Harvey, Michael Porter, Willie Glass, Larry Wright.
ST John's has had a lot of great players that never made the pros. All those guys listed above were some of my favorites. I really like Ponds. He is a really good player that is fun to watch. He has a lot of flaws that do not make him the ideal best player on a decent team. Some of these same flaws will probably keep him out of the NBA at least in any significant way.

Then there are guys like Ced Jackson who I thought might have been one of the worst players we have had and he showed up on an NBA roster for a cup of coffee. Basically making the NBA or not should not have an effect on  how someone's college career here is judged.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:29:16 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2018, 11:42:55 AM »
Anybody made a Trey Burke comparison yet? I think trey was a better passer but I think Ponds is the craftier scorer. Pretty similar size.

« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2018, 11:53:08 AM »
Anybody made a Trey Burke comparison yet? I think trey was a better passer but I think Ponds is the craftier scorer. Pretty similar size.

Burke was best player on Finals team with two other 1st round NBA players. Shot 45% from field and 37% from three.
He is really quick but Ponds probably a better athlete and I think a better passer. Burke way better shooter.

pmg911

« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2018, 02:29:32 PM »

If Ponds went to Duke or Kentucky,  where would he be in mock drafts?

Honestly, he would be on the bench most of time at Duke & Kentucky

He is our best player, tough kid but unless there are massive improvements in his strength and shooting, he never sees the NBA.

If he stays 4 years, he will be one of the best players we have watched and ends up near the very top of the All Time scoring list.