Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential

• 106 replies
Re: Shamorie Ponds NBA Potential
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2018, 05:07:50 PM »
and have taken quite a bit of heat.

The "heat" you've taken was deserved as you've fallen into the habit of denigrating St. John players in an unnecessary attempt to make your Bffl Ponds appear better.

The only bad things ever said about Walden is that Lovett, and now Simon, are also good and to point out that Shamorie wasn't shooting well at a time this season when his numbers were putridly low. 

ALL Johnny fans know that he's great, is the best player on our team, and are very happy we have him.

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2018, 05:21:35 PM »

The "heat" you've taken was deserved as you've fallen into the habit of denigrating St. John players in an unnecessary attempt to make your Bffl Ponds appear better.

The only bad things ever said about Walden is that Lovett, and now Simon, are also good and to point out that Shamorie wasn't shooting well at a time this season when his numbers were putridly low. 

ALL Johnny fans know that he's great, is the best player on our team, and are very happy we have him.

There were times this year and last where posters said he was not best player on team. And no one said he was shooting well when he wasn’t shooting well. They (me) said he’s a good shooter who’s not hitting shots for a variety of reasons.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

paultzman

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2018, 05:32:57 PM »
Perhaps we should agree SP is a great talent, a joy to watch & on his way to earning nice money professionally. Does it really matter who “discovered him” on Johnny Jungle!? :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 05:34:45 PM by paultzman »

« Reply #83 on: February 21, 2018, 05:56:10 PM »
Perhaps we should agree SP is a great talent, a joy to watch & on his way to earning nice money professionally. Does it really matter who “discovered him” on Johnny Jungle!? :)
Wow, that avatar of yours. That kid could fill Glover's and Clark's uniforms

Marillac

« Reply #84 on: February 21, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »

In a normal fan community it wouldn't, but 7 coaches in just over 20 years has caused our fans to alternate between being too negative and being unreasonably optimistic. It's good to identify posters that can see things before they happen.

Marillac

« Reply #85 on: February 21, 2018, 08:08:43 PM »

No not all fans thought that. WASJU said continiously that Lovett was better when I wrote Ponds would be one of the top 5 guards in the country and that he would take both Duval and Brunson to the woodshed. Go back and read the 5 pages of debate when I first mentioned Ponds was the best player we've had in 20 years. WASJU put him behind Hardy and Harrison -- which is not only absurd, it shows a complete lack of foresight.

There is a big difference with someone saying Ponds is good and someone saying Ponds was a first round pick and a top 5 guard in the country.  I was the biggest Harrison fanboy going, but admitted early on that Ponds is in a different league.

« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
There were times this year and last where posters said he was not best player on team. 
Perhaps I'm one of the posters you're referring too.

I thought that both L and P had equally good freshmen campaigns and stated so even though Ponds was getting more press and accolades.

By both my eye test and the numbers I had them tied with Ponds rebounding better and Lovett shooting and defending better.  Ponds had the better scoring average largely due to the benefit of 3 1/2 games without Lovett in the lineup. 

I referred to them as 1a and 1b top players while acknowledging that Sham was likely a better pro prospect.

Early this season I had Ponds pulling ahead of Lovett as our best player even with the horrific shooting numbers before Marcus' injury and defection rendered it a moot point.

From what I've read there's been no trashing of Ponds in this forum.

« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2018, 08:17:02 AM »
http://www.nbadraft.net/2019mock_draft
For 2019 they have him going at end of 2nd BTW. I disagree with that.

These types of non-sanctioned sites are questionable...

Checked the "About" section and it doesn't even state who runs the site, how many scouts etc... 

he NBADraft.net Mock Draft is a year round, continuously updated projection of the NBA Draft.
While the NBA season is going on, the teams are projected in reverse order of record. Once the NBA season ends, the order of the teams from 15-60 are in place. After the draft lottery each May, the official order of the draft is set.
Individual team needs are not factored into the mock draft until after the NBA season ends. NBADraft.net has been projecting the NBA draft since 2000.
Our projections are based on the opinions of the scouts that work for NBADraft.net, in conjunction with the NBA and International scouts that we speak with.
Contact Us: info@nbadraft.net

Non sanctioned? These guys have been doing this for well over a decade, and are pretty much right in the neighborhood when it comes to the picks. Check their track record.

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2018, 09:29:44 AM »

No not all fans thought that. WASJU said continiously that Lovett was better when I wrote Ponds would be one of the top 5 guards in the country and that he would take both Duval and Brunson to the woodshed. Go back and read the 5 pages of debate when I first mentioned Ponds was the best player we've had in 20 years. WASJU put him behind Hardy and Harrison -- which is not only absurd, it shows a complete lack of foresight.

There is a big difference with someone saying Ponds is good and someone saying Ponds was a first round pick and a top 5 guard in the country.  I was the biggest Harrison fanboy going, but admitted early on that Ponds is in a different league.

Last year Ponds was a freshman and Lovett was better. Starting to turn towards end of year and Ponds was probably better by year end. Lovett was a man and Ponds a teenager. Guys get better. You really have gone crazy with some of the things you are saying. EVERYONE thinks Ponds is good. EVERYONE would like to see Ponds come back. EVERYONE would like Ponds to make the NBA. You are criticizing other guys on the team to prove your point and also taking shots at guys that were here before him.
If Ponds leaves after this year guess what he might not make the NBA. He is also not the next Steph Curry and he has an erratic jumper. Nothing I have said is negative towards Ponds. I really like Ponds. I just don't think he is some sort of Michael Jordan and Scarlett Johansson combination like you seem too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:31:14 AM by we are sju »

« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2018, 09:40:24 AM »

Last year Ponds was a freshman and Lovett was better. Starting to turn towards end of year and Ponds was probably better by year end. Lovett was a man and Ponds a teenager. Guys get better. You really have gone crazy with some of the things you are saying. EVERYONE thinks Ponds is good. EVERYONE would like to see Ponds come back. EVERYONE would like Ponds to make the NBA. You are criticizing other guys on the team to prove your point and also taking shots at guys that were here before him.
If Ponds leaves after this year guess what he might not make the NBA. He is also not the next Steph Curry and he has an erratic jumper. Nothing I have said is negative towards Ponds. I really like Ponds. I just don't think he is some sort of Michael Jordan and Scarlett Johansson combination like you seem too.

You are just discovering that he is "going crazy?"

A guy who once said that Mike Brey is an overrated coach who got lucky when he inherited Ryan Humphrey a transfer from Oklahoma.

« Reply #90 on: February 22, 2018, 09:57:39 AM »

In a normal fan community it wouldn't, but 7 coaches in just over 20 years has caused our fans to alternate between being too negative and being unreasonably optimistic. It's good to identify posters that can see things before they happen.

Pot meet kettle  ;D

In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes out for a poster that fits that description...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 09:57:51 AM by Spruces2 »

« Reply #91 on: February 22, 2018, 10:15:45 AM »

A guy who once said that Mike Brey is an overrated coach who got lucky when he inherited Ryan Humphrey a transfer from Oklahoma.

Almost as crazy as calling Pitt a top 15 program.

« Reply #92 on: February 22, 2018, 10:23:19 AM »

Almost as crazy as calling Pitt a top 15 program.

Are you kidding me?   A few years ago there was no question both UCONN and Pitt were top 15 programs, I believe SI.com not me had them as such.  Now not so much.  I would argue they are still attractive jobs, great facilities and money, but man they have fallen hard and fast.
I mean no one could foresee two programs who for a decade you could argue were two of the dominant programs in the Big East would fall that far and that fast.

« Reply #93 on: February 22, 2018, 10:43:04 AM »
Here you go
“Precisely my point from months earlier.  The Catholic schools needed to bolt but don't kid yourself into thinking that losing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UCONN, ND and replacing them with Xavier and Butler is an equal swap.

Geez wait til the ACC gets Louisville next year.  They will have arguably 4 of the top 10 most prestigious programs in the country. Cuse, Ville, UNC and Duke.

Throw in Pitt and and that is probably 5 of the top 15 jobs in America in 1 conference.”

« Reply #94 on: February 22, 2018, 11:03:24 AM »
Here you go
“Precisely my point from months earlier.  The Catholic schools needed to bolt but don't kid yourself into thinking that losing Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, UCONN, ND and replacing them with Xavier and Butler is an equal swap.

Geez wait til the ACC gets Louisville next year.  They will have arguably 4 of the top 10 most prestigious programs in the country. Cuse, Ville, UNC and Duke.

Throw in Pitt and and that is probably 5 of the top 15 jobs in America in 1 conference.”

It is going to suck to be the future Mrs  Amaseinyourface. After every argument he is going to pull out a tape recorder to play back something Mrs Mase said 5 years ago.
Advice for when you do get married, "I never said that" is the go to move to deflect and defend and is universally understood that it should not be questioned further.

« Reply #95 on: February 22, 2018, 11:11:04 AM »
Here you go

It is going to suck to be the future Mrs  Amaseinyourface. After every argument he is going to pull out a tape recorder to play back something Mrs Mase said 5 years ago.
Advice for when you do get married, "I never said that" is the go to move to deflect and defend and is universally understood that it should not be questioned further.

Lol wouldn’t have to if people didn’t deny. Only thing that pisses me off is posters speaking in absolutes. Even in our ponds v hatten debate I always said it was fine to choose hatten.  Besides didn’t you make your fame with tale of the tape.

Foad

« Reply #96 on: February 22, 2018, 11:16:58 AM »
It's good to identify posters that can see things before they happen.

Remind me. Which poster thought Dom Pointer's was the worst scholarship awarded in the history of SJ's basketball and that Malik Stith was a Navy Seal who could out run a cheetah.

Everybody swings. It's good to identify posters who remember their misses as well as their hits.

« Reply #97 on: February 22, 2018, 11:18:40 AM »
Here you go

Lol wouldn’t have to if people didn’t deny. Only thing that pisses me off is posters speaking in absolutes. Even in our ponds v hatten debate I always said it was fine to choose hatten.  Besides didn’t you make your fame with tale of the tape.

I have like 10,000 combined posts. Forgot some of what I posted yesterday. Honestly though some things are fluid. I thought Lovett was better than Ponds last year. Because Ponds improved and Lovett quit it doesn't mean I was wrong. At the time I thought Lovett was better. Somethings I am going to be wrong about but made sense at the time. I said no way Ponds would be first team all BE. At the time we were 0-8 or something. He went nuts and we won some games. No matter what happens over last 3 games he should certainly make first team. If we would have won out could have made argument for BE player of year.

« Reply #98 on: February 22, 2018, 11:23:56 AM »
Here you go

Honestly though some things are fluid.

Unlike Chris Mullins jumper?  Kidding man

« Reply #99 on: February 22, 2018, 11:39:02 AM »
Here you go

Honestly though some things are fluid.

Unlike Chris Mullins jumper?  Kidding man

My man Derek Brown had a nicer looking jumper than MUllin. It was real pretty up until it didn't go in. Lovett's jumper was also more aesthetically pleasing.
Mullin shot a kind of flick shot. Wasn't bad looking, just not classical looking jumper for such a great shooter. Was just talking about how it looked. Ichiro had like 5,00 combined hits. If my son tried hitting that way I would disown him.