Jeffrey Otchere, Juco Garden City

• 6 replies
Jeffrey Otchere, Juco Garden City
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:52:39 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.com/2018/02/18/2018-juco-center-jeffrey-otchere-talks-recruiting-development/

We aren't mentioned. It's mostly about mid-majors recruiting him. But he's a Bronx kid who's 6'11" with a 7'6" wingspan and 9'3" standing reach.

Any chance we end up recruiting him? Sounds like his offensive skill is what's preventing him from being a high major recruit, but if he's a defensive stud and hungry to play, he may not be a bad addition.

Re: Jeffrey Otchere, Juco Garden City
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 02:29:08 PM »
He can catch the ball so he is already one step ahead of what Sima was. Has 3 years of eligibility left so could develop. Interest would probably depend on staff confidence in the numerous bigs we are recruiting in 2019 class. On the other hand a bird in the hand...

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 06:23:20 PM »
I would be all over this kid if I was Matt.  This guy has a motor, has more muscle and length than Owens and can rebound!  His offense looks ok for a young big...just teach him to keep the ball high and not to over dribble and he could be very usable. You can teach a big man offensive moves but it is near impossible to teach someone how to grind it out in the paint when they just don't have the mindset. 

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 06:41:57 PM »
Damn. That dude plays hard!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 07:47:35 PM »
I would be all over this kid if I was Matt.  This guy has a motor, has more muscle and length than Owens and can rebound!  His offense looks ok for a young big...just teach him to keep the ball high and not to over dribble and he could be very usable. You can teach a big man offensive moves but it is near impossible to teach someone how to grind it out in the paint when they just don't have the mindset. 

You bring this kid in, and (next season) he could probably give us us about 4 or 5ppg/5 or 6 rpg/3 or 4 blocked shots per game (and, more than likely, alter several other shots).  I'd take a chance on him.

He does seem to have a good motor and goes hard.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 07:50:18 PM by mjdinkins »

paultzman

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 05:36:28 PM »

Sean Bock
@Sean__Bock
Stony Brook was in today for Garden City CC 6-foot-11 big man Jeffrey Otchere.

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
If this guy was on the court last Saturday we win the game.  Delgado would not push this kid around like he did to all of our supposed bigs.  This is what we need, not Earlington at 6'5.  Bring him home!