Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies
Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2018, 12:35:01 PM »
Everyone clammoring for an impact big am I the only one who thinks a guard is more important

Alan Griffin...
Impact players lol

Foad

« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2018, 12:39:47 PM »
Everyone clammoring for an impact big am I the only one who thinks a guard is more important

Alan Griffin...
Impact players lol

Laugh if you want but if you think there's a bunch of Max Hoopers and Marco Bourgualts banging down the door to come here you're probably mistaken.

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2018, 12:46:20 PM »
My understanding of the current situation
1) Earlington is coming...done.
2) They 100% KNOW and are confident they will add a big via Juco or more likely grad transfer to provide immediate help
3)Ponds will test NBA waters but after speaking with staff they have put feelers out and not only is he not a 1st rd(guaranteed money) but he's likely not drafted at this point. They were told my many scouts their team would rather draft/stash European kid... they are close with his dad and are confident he returms
4) Owens is wild card...
5) Yawke gone
6) ZERO chance staff remains in tact

So Jordan Brown is a definite no-go?

paultzman

« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2018, 01:00:13 PM »
2) They 100% KNOW and are confident they will add a big via Juco or more likely grad transfer to provide immediate help
3)Ponds will test NBA waters but after speaking with staff they have put feelers out and not only is he not a 1st rd(guaranteed money) but he's likely not drafted at this point. They were told my many scouts their team would rather draft/stash European kid... they are close with his dad and are confident he returms
4) Owens is wild card...
5) Yawke gone

Appears so, but a long shot to begin with. We’ll see
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 01:21:44 PM by paultzman »

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »
4) Owens is wild card...
5) Yawke gone

Appears so

Stinks because he was primed for the taking. Cal is just as bad as us, UCLA is having an off year. If we would have had a good year like people expected maybe we'd have a shot at him.

« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2018, 01:15:28 PM »
4) Owens is wild card...
5) Yawke gone

And Clark?

QuanMan

« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2018, 01:20:02 PM »
Thanks as always 79. Just like Marcus, Tariq is in his third year at the program bc of the 2015 sit out year. He's experienced a ton of losing during this time and I don't blame him or his Dad for feeling emotionally fatigued at this point of Year3. Aren't we all?! I think w the right consoling and reassuring he'll be back. His intangibles are infectious and will only be enhanced on a winning team next year.

As for the staff, let the speculation begin. I'll continue to implore for a senior tactician, the average age of the staff needs to get much older.
Section 3
Section 116

lihoop

« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2018, 01:24:12 PM »
Is Mike Rice still a possibility?

ras

« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2018, 01:32:11 PM »
Thanks as always 79. Just like Marcus, Tariq is in his third year at the program bc of the 2015 sit out year. He's experienced a ton of losing during this time and I don't blame him or his Dad for feeling emotionally fatigued at this point of Year3. Aren't we all?! I think w the right consoling and reassuring he'll be back. His intangibles are infectious and will only be enhanced on a winning team next year.

As for the staff, let the speculation begin. I'll continue to implore for a senior tactician, the average age of the staff needs to get much older.
I would love Owens to return. But, grass isn't always greener on other side. Owens needs strength , an improved inside game and to rebound better. He may transfer and see his minutes dwindle.. He is and will get plenty of burn here. If he and Ponds stay we can be good next year.

« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2018, 01:44:12 PM »
4) Owens is wild card...
5) Yawke gone

Now does number 3 make Marillac happy or sad?
On one hand Ponds coming back should make him extremely happy. But the idea of him not getting drafted would blow up his entire 2018 mock NBA draft where he has Ponds going #1.

« Reply #150 on: February 27, 2018, 02:13:06 PM »
And Clark?

I suspect Clark is fine.  I'm assuming you may be wondering about Clark per Baldi's post yesterday.

If so, y'all should know by now that the majority of Baldi's posts are to agitate or get the natives into a frenzy.  LOL

Marillac

« Reply #151 on: February 27, 2018, 02:32:10 PM »
The laughable part is the fact he's 6-4

Calvin Murphy was 5'9, what's your point. If you have one write it IN ALL CAPS so I can identify it.

[,,,}

Who were the main players in his bball recruitment.... Robert Morris? 

Is that the Robert Morris that beat the shit out of SJ at home in the NIT a couple years ago during the glorious Lavin years or is that a different Robert Morris.

Is it the norm that 5'9 players (or in this case 6'4 post players)  succeed in basketball or is this person you're bringing up from 2 decades before I was born an outlier?

No, you're correct that's the same Robert Morris that beat Steve lavin following one of his down years where we only won 20 games but I would certainly hope that the almighty Chris Mullin has us on the right track to be a far superior program in comparison to that powerhouse from the northeast conference.

Dude your shtick is so tiresome.  If you truly believe this is the type of player we should be bringing on in what should be a make it or break it year for this staff then I don't know what to say.

He's 6'5. Anthony Glover was 6'5 in shoes and he did just fine. He should be able to manhandle basketball players with his physicality. Every team needs a few guys like that. Not everyone has to be a star.

Johnny23

« Reply #152 on: February 27, 2018, 02:40:16 PM »
This kid is not on the same skill level as all the other 6'5 names being thrown around. Not close. He's flat footed, barely 6'5 and can't jump. He's a bruiser, plain and simple. As long as we have enough available schollies to get another big and another PG then I'm ok with this signing.

« Reply #153 on: February 27, 2018, 02:42:45 PM »
This kid is not on the same skill level as all the other 6'5 names being thrown around. Not close. He's flat footed, barely 6'5 and can't jump. He's a bruiser, plain and simple. As long as we have enough available schollies to get another big and another PG then I'm ok with this signing.

I think he can def help our run defense and also he will be able to put some pressure on the QB.

Johnny23

« Reply #154 on: February 27, 2018, 02:44:55 PM »

I think he can def help our run defense and also he will be able to put some pressure on the QB.

lol We've definitely needed an edge rusher forever so can't hurt.

TONYD3

« Reply #155 on: February 27, 2018, 03:32:54 PM »
4) Owens is wild card...
5) Yawke gone
We are currently in 10th. Lose Ahmed, yakwe and maybe someone else and expect to improve? I will believe it when I see it. Year 4 of complete rebuild seems like same shit to me. Wasting ponds.

derk

« Reply #156 on: February 27, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
Ha!  A good one, 'mase.  It's also funny being Carl Weathers played in both movies (Happy Gilmore and Rocky).

I do understand where MCN is coming from.  Frankly, I'm not too excited about the team's outlook going forward.  Hopefully, I'm proven wrong over the next few months and next season.   

Feel the same way Dink. If Ponds leaves it could be a real disaster. We need another top 50 kid to be a star and from what I see we don't have any stars on the horizon.

Foad

« Reply #157 on: February 27, 2018, 04:33:08 PM »
Lose Ahmed, yakwe and maybe someone else and expect to improve?

Big Ahmed fan are you?

TONYD3

« Reply #158 on: February 27, 2018, 04:55:34 PM »

Big Ahmed fan are you?
No I am not.

« Reply #159 on: February 27, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »

Big Ahmed fan are you?
No I am not.

We agree again. 2 out 3941. We are making progress.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 05:08:28 PM by we are sju »