paultzman

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #200 on: February 28, 2018, 05:14:36 PM »
How tall is Earlington?

5’8’’ but has reach of a guy 5’10’’ :)

paultzman

« Reply #201 on: February 28, 2018, 05:21:38 PM »
St Johns has landed a commitment from New Jersey senior forward Marcellus Earlington per source #sjubb
Zach B

Marillac

« Reply #202 on: February 28, 2018, 05:23:16 PM »
Another comp for you: Greedy Peterson from Providence. 6'5 240 and averaged 19.6 and 10.2 (4.5 offensive!) as a junior PF in the old Big East. He only played two seasons and was not a top 150 recruit.

That is not fair.  Jamine was a legit BE/Power 6 caliber player coming out of Boys and Girls and ND Prep.  Was never considered otherwise and SJU recruited him heavily.

Look you want to make the case that this kid is worth a flyer, fine.  But imho it is not unfair to say he is a bit of a reach at this level.  And it further puts the pressure on the guys already in the fold-Keita, Diakite etc who will need to make a big impact next year.  Because they need to turn a major corner next year.  And it further emphasizes that this staff whiffed on a ton of 2018 kids that we were told back in 2015 when he was hired that he would be able to land.   Although I will reserve final judgement until this class has been completed.  Because something tells me that with de-commits and transfers coming in the next few months SJU is not done even with this kid in the fold.

What are you talking about? I am listing players of similar heights who have had success at the PF or C positions since Johnny23 wants to eliminate him solely on that basis. We don't need Earlington to be Peterson for him to be a worthwhile recruit. Not everyone has to be a star.

Also, let's not rewrite history with Greedy. Nobody thought he would average 20 and 10 in college and our staff would receive a ton of negativity if we signed him now as a 6'5  not ranked in the top 150.

paultzman

« Reply #204 on: February 28, 2018, 05:30:27 PM »
Per Jeremy Schneider
Marcellus Earlington. All-State basketball and football player. Held his own against Nick Richards and Patrick School this season. Big get for St. John’s #NJhoops

thetruth8734

• SJU Alum
« Reply #205 on: February 28, 2018, 05:34:31 PM »
"Big get" lol. Good luck to the kid hope he does well, but I'm not excited at all about this pickup. Can we recruit an actual basketball player for our next recruit?

« Reply #206 on: February 28, 2018, 05:38:47 PM »
Another comp for you: Greedy Peterson from Providence. 6'5 240 and averaged 19.6 and 10.2 (4.5 offensive!) as a junior PF in the old Big East. He only played two seasons and was not a top 150 recruit.

That is not fair.  Jamine was a legit BE/Power 6 caliber player coming out of Boys and Girls and ND Prep.  Was never considered otherwise and SJU recruited him heavily.

Look you want to make the case that this kid is worth a flyer, fine.  But imho it is not unfair to say he is a bit of a reach at this level.  And it further puts the pressure on the guys already in the fold-Keita, Diakite etc who will need to make a big impact next year.  Because they need to turn a major corner next year.  And it further emphasizes that this staff whiffed on a ton of 2018 kids that we were told back in 2015 when he was hired that he would be able to land.   Although I will reserve final judgement until this class has been completed.  Because something tells me that with de-commits and transfers coming in the next few months SJU is not done even with this kid in the fold.

What are you talking about? I am listing players of similar heights who have had success at the PF or C positions since Johnny23 wants to eliminate him solely on that basis. We don't need Earlington to be Peterson for him to be a worthwhile recruit. Not everyone has to be a star.

Also, let's not rewrite history with Greedy. Nobody thought he would average 20 and 10 in college and our staff would receive a ton of negativity if we signed him now as a 6'5  not ranked in the top 150.

By his 3rd year many thought so absolutely.  He was an athletic scoring freak in HS and as Paultz indicated he was full time unlike Earlington.  So no I don't think that was a shock...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:39:33 PM by fordham96 »

goredmen

Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S
« Reply #207 on: February 28, 2018, 05:56:19 PM »
This programs needs high character kids that want to be here, have a great attitude and provide some toughness. And it's possible he turns into a solid role player down the line. All in for this one

Marillac

« Reply #208 on: February 28, 2018, 05:58:02 PM »

By his 3rd year many thought so absolutely.  He was an athletic scoring freak in HS and as Paultz indicated he was full time unlike Earlington.  So no I don't think that was a shock...

I can't tell if you are being serious. He only played two seasons at Providence and it was pretty clear by the end of of his freshman year that they had someone much better than his ranking. He was recruited by Norm at SJU, Rutgers, and Providence. He wasn't even a 3* out of high school and had to do a post-grad year at ND. He averaged 22 ppg in the PSAL the same year Dwight Hardy averaged 39 so "scoring machine" is a little charitable for a guy that was not even top 5 in the city.

Marillac

« Reply #209 on: February 28, 2018, 06:03:36 PM »
FWIW a former teammate of mine has a son who lives in our hometown and started for Bosco last year. His son is a legit 6'6 and can play. Earlington was just a hair shorter and was much better as a junior. That team also had/has 6'6 Rob Harper Jr. who is headed to Rutgers (very skilled player). They were the TOC champs in a stacked field last year and Earlington had 23 pts and 14 boards in the championship game (9 offensive boards).

I like the addition.

« Reply #210 on: February 28, 2018, 06:03:41 PM »

I can't tell if you are being serious. He only played two seasons at Providence and it was pretty clear by the end of of his freshman year that they had someone much better than his ranking. He was recruited by Norm at SJU, Rutgers, and Providence. He wasn't even a 3* out of high school and had to do a post-grad year at ND. He averaged 22 ppg in the PSAL the same year Dwight Hardy averaged 39 so "scoring machine" is a little charitable for a guy that was not even top 5 in the city.

You are insane, he was totally a 3 star recriit.  Played in Jordan Brand All Star local game in 2006.  Y
Grades were a major issue with him that kept recruiters away.

« Reply #212 on: February 28, 2018, 06:09:06 PM »
Welcome aboard Marcellus.

paultzman

« Reply #213 on: February 28, 2018, 06:17:41 PM »
Marcellus Earlington ➡️ @StJohnsBBall

🗣 “St. John’s fans should expect someone who can do it all on the court, score, pass, hustle...whatever is needed. I play with a chip on my shoulder and give 1000% effort everytime I step on the court.”

@realdealcellus @DonBoscoIronmen

« Reply #214 on: February 28, 2018, 07:04:50 PM »
Don't care about the stars. High character kid w/ a great motor and can help grab rebounds and add toughness. Now that he's focused on one sport, maybe he'll develop quicker than expected. I'm excited.

« Reply #215 on: February 28, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »
Welcome to St. John’s Marcellus!
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

Johnny23

« Reply #216 on: February 28, 2018, 08:19:46 PM »
FWIW a former teammate of mine has a son who lives in our hometown and started for Bosco last year. His son is a legit 6'6 and can play. Earlington was just a hair shorter and was much better as a junior. That team also had/has 6'6 Rob Harper Jr. who is headed to Rutgers (very skilled player). They were the TOC champs in a stacked field last year and Earlington had 23 pts and 14 boards in the championship game (9 offensive boards).

I like the addition.

At least be factual. Bosco lost in the TOC final last year to Patrick School. Earlington had 13 in that game.

MCNPA

« Reply #217 on: February 28, 2018, 08:58:32 PM »
Welcome aboard Marcellus.  I’m hoping he’s somewhwre in the Antonio Gates, Rashad Kent, Chevy troutman, Danya Abrams mold...😂. I’m ok with this recruit.  I assume the staff thinks he can contribute and grow with us.  He also won’t have to be a center as we will have Owens (hopefully), Roberts and Keita at that spot.

paultzman

« Reply #218 on: February 28, 2018, 09:09:52 PM »
Marcellus Earlington was also hearing from Tennessee and Boston College. Asked about facing bigger players in Big East, he said: “I’m up for the challenge. I’ve played against bigger players all my life.” #sjubb
Zach B

MCNPA

« Reply #219 on: February 28, 2018, 09:37:43 PM »
My understanding of the current situation
1) Earlington is coming...done.
2) They 100% KNOW and are confident they will add a big via Juco or more likely grad transfer to provide immediate help
3)Ponds will test NBA waters but after speaking with staff they have put feelers out and not only is he not a 1st rd(guaranteed money) but he's likely not drafted at this point. They were told my many scouts their team would rather draft/stash European kid... they are close with his dad and are confident he returms
4) Owens is wild card...
5) Yawke gone
6) ZERO chance staff remains in tact

So with SJU staff in flux,  hope they consider reaching out to Kevin Boyle.  Perfect AHC candidate.   Both coach and recruiter.   The guy has a great high school coaching career and could potentially help recruiting in a big way.  He recruited all that talent to St. Patrick school and Monteverde.  Arguably landed more talent than SJU has landed over that time span...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 09:59:42 PM by MCNPA »