Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ - ST. JOHN’S

• 315 replies
Re: Marcellus Earlington, PF, Don Bosco HS, NJ
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2018, 09:25:46 PM »
Kid was getting a lot of big offers for football but he wants to play hoops in college. He's a 6'5 PF. Nice kid but not a BE level PF at all. We need a real big. Pass.

Sure, Big time talent would be nice. Maybe not an option. We have plenty of length, having a guy who can win an arm wrestling match could come in handy. Maybe he develops and helps us down the road.

Possibly but how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE? Serious question. He's a really good HS player and these are some of the best Bosco teams in their bball history over his last few years. But he's a mid major college player. I just don't want to see the staff using a really precious scholly on an undersized PF who is solid but not much more.

Undersized 4s are not unicorns in college basketball. How tall was anything Glover?

Jordan Murphy on Minnesota is 6’6 240 averaging 17 pts and nearly 12 boards.

Good undersized PF's are definitely unicorns. You just named one that hasn't played in 15 years or whatever. Furthermore, both those guys were high rated players coming out of HS. Earlington is not. Marginal BE level player at best. Staff should be setting sights higher.

No one is projecting him to be all BE. Everyone would love a highly ranked kid.
How tall was Justin brownley? Christian jones? DJ Kennedy was 6’5 and excelled at the 4 spot.
Bad comparison. Don’t think he is anything like those 3.
is he anthony Glover good? Lamont Middleton good? If yes to either I am fine with it. If he is Dexter gray 2.0 we should pass.

Missing the point.
No think you are. DJ was not a 4. He rebounded well for a wing. He could also guard a post player. He was listed as 6’6 Brownlee was also a wing . He was athletic. Close to 6’7 . Don’t really remember his defense. Christina looked the part.
The 3 guys I mentioned were all short PF’s. Probably before your time.

Just read the thread you quoted. Talking about undersized 4’s. Brownlee started at the 5 senior year. DJ the 4. Jones averaged 8 and 6. You hated him I get it. We could use him.
DJ Kennedy was not a PF. Brownlee was not a center. That team also had Burrell, Evans, and center forgot his name (African name I think). What you seem to forget is polee started. He only played a few minutes. Burrell and Owens were inside players on that team, and brownlee guarded post guys at times.
Jones- anyone who plays minutes- can accumulate stats. If he he got 8 and 6 how many did his guy get? Please explain one game that he played well and we won? He was a 4 year player (red shirted) did yakwe scare him off?

This comparison again has nothing to do with this kid. He is an short HUSKY PF. Even though DJ is taller they play different positions. Tyrone grant would have been another guy to compare him to, not jones or brownlee.

Wow a Dele Coker Reference I believe! 

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »
All I'm saying is we still have time to be recruiting all options

Thought provoking statement that should prove controversial. Hopefully some energetic discussion follows.
Hey Foad I know this is off topic but since you like to bring up free throw disparities was wondering if you noticed in Kansas's home win over W Virginia Saturday that KU was awarded 35 FTs to UWV 2. Huggy Bear was all over this stat post game.

Foad

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2018, 09:56:03 AM »

Thought provoking statement that should prove controversial. Hopefully some energetic discussion follows.
Hey Foad I know this is off topic but since you like to bring up free throw disparities was wondering if you noticed in Kansas's home win over W Virginia Saturday that KU was awarded 35 FTs to UWV 2. Huggy Bear was all over this stat post game.

I didn't even know WV played Kansas or even was in the Big 12. In an odd coincidence though I just showed missus fun a video of Billy Hahn pantomiming smoking a joint on the WV bench. Never gets old.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK4VppolDtw 

derk

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2018, 12:01:49 PM »
Possibly but how many 6'5 PF's have excelled in the BE? Serious question

Perry McDonald. Jerome Lane. Adrian Griffin. Roger McCready. Mike Gansey. They all killed us.

What was the name of the Pitt kid who badly beat up the Pukon 7 foot center. Oh yeah 6'6 Blair.

TONYD3

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2018, 12:37:49 PM »

Perry McDonald. Jerome Lane. Adrian Griffin. Roger McCready. Mike Gansey. They all killed us.

What was the name of the Pitt kid who badly beat up the Pukon 7 foot center. Oh yeah 6'6 Blair.
Anthony Glover kicked jake voshcols ass. Blair was also a beast. My favorite non St. John’s player. He was taller then 6’6

« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2018, 01:02:49 PM »

Anthony Glover kicked jake voshcols ass. Blair was also a beast. My favorite non St. John’s player. He was taller then 6’6

Yup.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.draftexpress.com/amp/article/Analyzing-the-NBA-Combine-Measurements-3237/

“-DeJuan Blair's height of 6'5.25 without shoes may cause some teams to raise an eyebrow”
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2018, 01:04:09 PM »

I didn't even know WV played Kansas or even was in the Big 12. In an odd coincidence though I just showed missus fun a video of Billy Hahn pantomiming smoking a joint on the WV bench. Never gets old.

LOL btw meant to ask you how you spent National Anti-Plagiarism Day yesterday? I had never heard of it until yesterday.

Foad

« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2018, 01:14:21 PM »
LOL btw meant to ask you how you spent National Anti-Plagiarism Day yesterday? I had never heard of it until yesterday.

I wrote a poem called "The Raven." It's a little long but it's quite good.

TONYD3

« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2018, 01:44:06 PM »

Yup.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.draftexpress.com/amp/article/Analyzing-the-NBA-Combine-Measurements-3237/

“-DeJuan Blair's height of 6'5.25 without shoes may cause some teams to raise an eyebrow”

I never measured him. He was listed at 6’9 if I remember correctly.

« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2018, 03:13:40 PM »

Yup.

I never measured him. He was listed at 6’9 if I remember correctly.

You don't.

« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2018, 03:18:20 PM »
Quote from ESPN story a few years back:

"This fudging at the NBA predraft camps wasn't too bad this year, although some truth-stretching did occur. DeJuan Blair, who Pittsburgh always listed as 6-7, [checked] in at 6-5 1/4 - 6-6 1/2 with shoes."

The same story quotes Charles Barkley saying that he is also 6'6" but has been measured between 6'4"  and 6-6, despite his assumed height of 6'8"

Johnny23

« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2018, 04:08:07 PM »
DeJaun Blair was a McD AA. Stop with the horrible comparisons because there are none outside of height between Blair and Glover vs. a marginal prospect like Earlington.

I still think SJU should be finding a better big body than this kid. He may be a 2 star rated player, if that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 04:08:34 PM by Johnny23 »

Foad

« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2018, 04:41:24 PM »
DeJaun Blair was a McD AA. Stop with the horrible comparisons because there are none outside of height between Blair and Glover vs. a marginal prospect like Earlington.

You brought up his height. Name a player whose been successful in the BE at that size you said. And when posters respond with a bunch of names your response is: not those guys, other guys who were less successful. Based upon those criteria you've won the argument: no players who were not as good as players who were good were as successful as players who were not as successful or good. Excellent job.

I still think SJU should be finding a better big body than this kid. He may be a 2 star rated player, if that.

I think SJU should be recruiting the best player available, Say, what about this guy, he was an NJ all state first team player.

"First team: Marcellus Earlington, Don Bosco Prep, Jr., 6-4, 260 lbs, forward

Earlington might be one of New Jersey’s top football prospects, but this winter, he proved he can shine on more than just the gridiron. He keyed Bosco’s run to the Tournament of Champions final, picking up a Non-Public A title along the way. Earlington averaged 16.3 points per game as he established himself as one of the most versatile players in the state."

Also on the first team were Jahvon Quinerly, a Villanova recruit, and Nick Richards, Kentucky ("Richards played in the 2017 McDonald's All-American Boys Game,[5] pouring in two points, grabbing two rebounds and tallying two blocked shots in 14 minutes of action." Wikipedia is funny.)

Evidently there's quite a drop off in NJ after those two guys. A couple of the most coveted five star recruits in the country and then a bunch of two star players, if that.

Johnny23

« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2018, 05:20:50 PM »

You brought up his height. Name a player whose been successful in the BE at that size you said. And when posters respond with a bunch of names your response is: not those guys, other guys who were less successful. Based upon those criteria you've won the argument: no players who were not as good as players who were good were as successful as players who were not as successful or good. Excellent job.

I think SJU should be recruiting the best player available, Say, what about this guy, he was an NJ all state first team player.

"First team: Marcellus Earlington, Don Bosco Prep, Jr., 6-4, 260 lbs, forward

Earlington might be one of New Jersey’s top football prospects, but this winter, he proved he can shine on more than just the gridiron. He keyed Bosco’s run to the Tournament of Champions final, picking up a Non-Public A title along the way. Earlington averaged 16.3 points per game as he established himself as one of the most versatile players in the state."

Also on the first team were Jahvon Quinerly, a Villanova recruit, and Nick Richards, Kentucky ("Richards played in the 2017 McDonald's All-American Boys Game,[5] pouring in two points, grabbing two rebounds and tallying two blocked shots in 14 minutes of action." Wikipedia is funny.)

Evidently there's quite a drop off in NJ after those two guys. A couple of the most coveted five star recruits in the country and then a bunch of two star players, if that.

You tried to compare Mike Gansey, a lanky 2 guard, to Earlington when talking about undersized PF's in this same thread. It's hard to take you seriously after that comment. I tried to let it slide though.

Furthermore, you should look at Earlington's basketball rankings since he would be coming to SJU for hoops and not football, unless you know something the rest of us don't.

My opinion of him being a stretch for SJU to recruit won't really change. The only upside I can see from him is as a reserve banger. Sure we need that but I just think we need to keep on looking for better options.

Foad

« Reply #54 on: February 20, 2018, 07:49:58 PM »
You tried to compare Mike Gansey, a lanky 2 guard, to Earlington when talking about undersized PF's in this same thread.

In the first place stupid, I compared a forward  to a forward.

See the F stupid? That stand for forward. In the second place I mentioned half a dozen undersized forwards who've been successful in the Big East and half a dozen other people mentioned half a dozen other undersized forwards who've been successful in the BE all in response to your question 'name an undersized forward who's been successful in the BE." Evidently you don't like the answer to your stupid question. Remedy: ask a different stupid question. Hint: try one that doesn't demonstrate how little you know about basketball.

Furthermore, you should look at Earlington's basketball rankings since he would be coming to SJU for hoops and not football, unless you know something the rest of us don't.

Yes stupid, I just cited an article noting that DE was a first team all state basketball player. I'll cite it again, because you're stupid.

http://www.nj.com/hssn-mms/2017/03/njcom_boys_basketball_all-stat.html

See stupid? It says right there, boys, basketball, all state. Which word didn't you understand, I'm guessing basketball, it has four three syllables.

My opinion of him being a stretch for SJU to recruit won't really change. .

Exactly stupid. Despite facts showing that you have no idea what you're talking about, your opinion won't change.

I just think we need to keep on looking for better options.

Oh okay golly, why didn't you say that in the first place Tesla. So you think that the team should recruit whichever players are available who are better than the other players who are available and that the players who are worse should not be recruited in favor of players who are better. Sorry I called you stupid half a dozen times, that's fucking genius.Let me write that down. Recruit players who are better than other players. If Mitch Richmond gets fired I hope you send in your resume because with insights like that they could really use you. 

Johnny23

« Reply #55 on: February 20, 2018, 08:48:46 PM »
You tried to compare Mike Gansey, a lanky 2 guard, to Earlington when talking about undersized PF's in this same thread.

See the F stupid? That stand for forward. In the second place I mentioned half a dozen undersized forwards who've been successful in the Big East and half a dozen other people mentioned half a dozen other undersized forwards who've been successful in the BE all in response to your question 'name an undersized forward who's been successful in the BE." Evidently you don't like the answer to your stupid question. Remedy: ask a different stupid question. Hint: try one that doesn't demonstrate how little you know about basketball.

Yes stupid, I just cited an article noting that DE was a first team all state basketball player. I'll cite it again, because you're stupid.

See stupid? It says right there, boys, basketball, all state. Which word didn't you understand, I'm guessing basketball, it has four three syllables.

Exactly stupid. Despite facts showing that you have no idea what you're talking about, your opinion won't change.

Oh okay golly, why didn't you say that in the first place Tesla. So you think that the team should recruit whichever players are available who are better than the other players who are available and that the players who are worse should not be recruited in favor of players who are better. Sorry I called you stupid half a dozen times, that's fucking genius.Let me write that down. Recruit players who are better than other players. If Mitch Richmond gets fired I hope you send in your resume because with insights like that they could really use you.

Lol And a horrible comparison at that. Gansey was never a PF, ever. So you're wrong and stupid.

Poison

« Reply #56 on: February 20, 2018, 09:12:44 PM »

Lol And a horrible comparison at that. Gansey was never a PF, ever. So you're wrong and stupid.

In fairness to Foad, Gansey might have been a power forward in high school on occasion.

Poison

« Reply #57 on: February 20, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »

The staff should recruit the best players they can land. That's why they're recruiting this kid.

Johnny23

« Reply #58 on: February 20, 2018, 09:20:38 PM »

In fairness to Foad, Gansey might have been a power forward in high school on occasion.

Lol Compared to little Foad in HS, I'm sure anyone looked like a hulking PF.

« Reply #59 on: February 20, 2018, 10:40:20 PM »
Can he possibly play as a SF? Combo F?

Don’t think he was really scouted for basketball rankings as most thought he was going to play football.