Top AAU Coach Goes to St. John’s

• 119 replies
Re: Top AAU Coach Goes to St. John’s
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2008, 11:27:10 AM »
http://www.zagsblog.net/2008/08/13/kimani-young-to-st-johns/#more-1872

Kimani Young has been hired as part of Norm Roberts’ staff at St. John’s, according to a source close to the situation.
Reached by phone, Young could not officially comment on the hire, but he did say: “What I could bring just is positive relationships in the city. I can bring an energy, a youthful energy and a hunger. I just want to continue that in any way I can if it turns that that’s where I’m at.”

So I wonder what position he is going to occupy
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #41 on: August 13, 2008, 11:29:14 AM »
How could anyone not know how big getting local recruits can be?  Exactly which fan doesn't bemoan the loss of the big local names?  What, Ron Ron and Felipe are lost to the young fans?  Mullin and Mark Jackson (that's as far back as I go)?  Getting the big names isn't hard to understand.

ANYWAY.  The 2010 class seems loaded; this signing makes me think that a) a couple of players may be told they would find more playing time somewhere else in a year or two and b) perhaps Norm really isn't on the hot seat at all, and will have more than this year to show some improvement.  I was hoping there was some "win at least half your games or get reassigned" ultimatum, myself.

« Reply #42 on: August 13, 2008, 12:28:03 PM »
How could anyone not know how big getting local recruits can be?  Exactly which fan doesn't bemoan the loss of the big local names?  What, Ron Ron and Felipe are lost to the young fans?  Mullin and Mark Jackson (that's as far back as I go)?  Getting the big names isn't hard to understand.

ANYWAY.  The 2010 class seems loaded; this signing makes me think that a) a couple of players may be told they would find more playing time somewhere else in a year or two and b) perhaps Norm really isn't on the hot seat at all, and will have more than this year to show some improvement.  I was hoping there was some "win at least half your games or get reassigned" ultimatum, myself.

they will definitely be handcuffed by the schollie situation.  Only 3 to give for 2009 and 2010 classes...hate to have kids forced out but something has to give since there are 7 scholarship sophomores.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2008, 02:20:08 PM »
how old is rob thomas??? 23-24?? i predict if he has an outstanding year, he'll be making money somewhere next season.

« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »
how old is rob thomas??? 23-24?? i predict if he has an outstanding year, he'll be making money somewhere next season.

Really? I'm not so sure I think Rob could really use a diploma.

I do think he could make money somewhere if he did have a good season but he is one bad twist away from being nothing. At least with a degree he can hopefully land a solid job.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2008, 02:37:55 PM »
Thomas was born in '86 (May) - he's 22.

« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
i agree a diploma is a big deal.  it's why i got one.  i don't think a degree will get him as solid a job as you think.  plenty of graduates have crappy jobs.  i'd take the money before i twisted my knee in my junior year and i'd hit the books in the offseason like shaq, isaah and many others did.

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:54 PM »
Been holdin my tongue fo quite awhile and now that I got a call that the deal is done, I gotta let loose.

Kimani Young is a straight up leader of men! And y'all best believe!

He one of the smartest, most righteous and kind-hearted brothers on the scene. He help lead New Heights to be a model in community development where children are not playas. They children who need to be nurtured as human beings and students of the world. K did that while still makin it competative in ball. He do what St. John do: turn boys into men.

Kimani do his ballin' for Coach Isser at Forest Hill, which aint no powerhouse 'less y'all name is Ernie Grunfeld or Kenny Pat. But he a contemporary of mine and he straight up Lefrak thru and thru. The Smith fams truly brought him up to be who he be. And there aint no other better royalty in Queens than my boys from Lefrak. UTEP aint no joke if y'all remember the UTEP Two Step and of course the champs beatin Adolf and his boys. Anyways K wuz as smoove a playa as you'll see like Kenny.

Now, some y'all bring up his troubles. And yes he do have a past. But in the tru Catholic tradition, I believe y'all best forgive a man who turn his life around. K aint got no trouble talkin bout his past. And he dont make no excuses neither.

Anyways this is truly a blessin fo both K and St. John. And while this been in the works fo while now, I felt I needs to speak truth to power.

We all proud of ya son!

-Choz4Life
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:27:43 PM by Choz4Life »
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2008, 10:34:02 AM »
Choz,
Thanks for your very interesting profile of Kimani Young. I feel that I know a lot more about him now and it comes from an honest man who knows what he's talking about. I love to hear stories about people who have turned their lives around and redeem themselves through helping others. I have a feeling that St. John's is going to profit from this hire in both tangible and intangible ways. Welcome aboard Kimani.

« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 09:00:20 AM »
Choz,
Thanks for your very interesting profile of Kimani Young. I feel that I know a lot more about him now and it comes from an honest man who knows what he's talking about. I love to hear stories about people who have turned their lives around and redeem themselves through helping others. I have a feeling that St. John's is going to profit from this hire in both tangible and intangible ways. Welcome aboard Kimani.

No prob bre.
Just wanna give some peeps round here a lil insight into this promising young brother.

Peace out!

-Choz4Life
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 11:00:19 AM »
I thought monopolies were illegal lol.  The combination Of Kimani and Oz is going to make it extremely difficult for anyone to come in our backyard at least for the next three years.  You’re talking about two guys that most off the top players in this city would run threw a brick wall for.  Some people may use desperate and other disparaging words, but these two hires are proof to me how committed Norm is to winning.  Not many people would take the chance.  Any true fan knows all it takes is the right place, the right time, and a little bit of luck.   I keep hearing the comment " we have been here before" .  I have this to say to that "You gotta be in it to win it" .
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

pmg911

« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2008, 11:18:17 AM »
I thought monopolies were illegal lol.  The combination Of Kimani and Oz is going to make it extremely difficult for anyone to come in our backyard at least for the next three years.  You’re talking about two guys that most off the top players in this city would run threw a brick wall for.  Some people may use desperate and other disparaging words, but these two hires are proof to me how committed Norm is to winning.  Not many people would take the chance.  Any true fan knows all it takes is the right place, the right time, and a little bit of luck.   I keep hearing the comment " we have been here before" .  I have this to say to that "You gotta be in it to win it" .

I am not saying you are wrong but if you don't think this move was made because Coach Roberts thinks his job might be at risk at the end of next season you are mistaken.

He could have made a move like this at multiple times over the past 4 years but he blatantly refused. Does anyone really think Book Richardson would not have come to St. John's if offered a position before he went to Xavier...   he could have made a move like this at any point during his time as coach and didn't..     

I certainly hope these two new additions to the St. John's staff can re-establish the school as a recruiting force locally....   because the current staff's performance has been nothing short of embarrassing...

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2008, 11:28:49 AM »
Also, for St. John's to actually hold the top players, there has to be room on the roster to bring those players in... and despite their connections to Kimani and Oz, guys want playing time.  I think it's a good move but definitely a little late.

But if they have to retool the roster - and there are some guys who will prove to not get it done this coming year, I am sure - that's just what has to happen moving forward to bring this squad back to respectability.  A lot of people want to see St. John's succeed on the basketball court.

« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2008, 11:34:45 AM »

I am not saying you are wrong but if you don't think this move was made because Coach Roberts thinks his job might be at risk at the end of next season you are mistaken.

He could have made a move like this at multiple times over the past 4 years but he blatantly refused. Does anyone really think Book Richardson would not have come to St. John's if offered a position before he went to Xavier...   he could have made a move like this at any point during his time as coach and didn't..     

I certainly hope these two new additions to the St. John's staff can re-establish the school as a recruiting force locally....   because the current staff's performance has been nothing short of embarrassing...

I agree with U as well.  Its something that should of happened already and it didn't.  U must agree it is happening now.  In life things don't always go the way you plan but you have to have a plan.  So far I like this plan  Kimani, Oz, Omari, Kevin, ?
The phrase perfect storm refers to the a simultaneous occurrence of events which, taken individually, would be far less powerful than the result of their chance combination. Such occurrences are, by their very nature, rare, and so even a slight change in any one event contributing to a ‘perfect storm’ would be sufficient to lessen the overall power of the final event.

« Reply #54 on: August 15, 2008, 11:48:30 AM »

[/quote]

I agree with U as well.  Its something that should of happened already and it didn't.  U must agree it is happening now.  In life things don't always go the way you plan but you have to have a plan.  So far I like this plan  Kimani, Oz, Omari, Kevin, ?
[/quote]

i understand things dont always go the way you plan, but in norms case, he never planned for any of this his first 4 years of his tenure.

« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2008, 12:50:24 PM »
Is Oz on board?  I don't remember the official announcement.  If not official what are the chances of his joining and when?

« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2008, 01:00:33 PM »
Is Oz on board?  I don't remember the official announcement.  If not official what are the chances of his joining and when?

not officially...its expected by the end of August if it happens.  It seems likely based on Kimani's quotes.
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2008, 04:10:37 PM »
I thought monopolies were illegal lol.  The combination Of Kimani and Oz is going to make it extremely difficult for anyone to come in our backyard at least for the next three years.  You’re talking about two guys that most off the top players in this city would run threw a brick wall for.  Some people may use desperate and other disparaging words, but these two hires are proof to me how committed Norm is to winning.  Not many people would take the chance.  Any true fan knows all it takes is the right place, the right time, and a little bit of luck.   I keep hearing the comment " we have been here before" .  I have this to say to that "You gotta be in it to win it" .

if norm and/or the school were committed to winning, he would have done this or its equivalent from day one.  instead, he brought in a few worthless friends, i.e. braica.

what chance are you talking about?  norm said from day one that he was under no pressure to win.  hopefully, there is pressure now and not just smoke and mirrors to keep this loser around.

« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2008, 04:13:11 PM »
I thought monopolies were illegal lol.  The combination Of Kimani and Oz is going to make it extremely difficult for anyone to come in our backyard at least for the next three years.  You’re talking about two guys that most off the top players in this city would run threw a brick wall for.  Some people may use desperate and other disparaging words, but these two hires are proof to me how committed Norm is to winning.  Not many people would take the chance.  Any true fan knows all it takes is the right place, the right time, and a little bit of luck.   I keep hearing the comment " we have been here before" .  I have this to say to that "You gotta be in it to win it" .

if norm and/or the school were committed to winning, he would have done this or its equivalent from day one.  instead, he brought in a few worthless friends, i.e. braica.

what chance are you talking about?  norm said from day one that he was under no pressure to win.  hopefully, there is pressure now and not just smoke and mirrors to keep this loser around.

Wasnt Braica vital in bringing in Burrell? If so, he is the only asst worth anything, the others are useless

kob24

« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2008, 05:03:34 PM »
Why does everyone knock coach briaca.  What does he do that's so wrong