BE Tournament Marquette predictions thread

• 65 replies
BE Tournament Marquette predictions thread
« on: March 14, 2019, 03:34:15 AM »
Paul Ryan  - 80
Peter King - 74

As we just learned, it's not easy beating a team 3 times in a season.  This fan will be in the building rooting for all he's worth. Come one come all.  They've earned it.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:32:01 AM by carmineabbatiello »

Tha Kid

Re: BE Tournament Marquette predictions thread
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 08:44:32 AM »
Dwyane Wade - 74
Ron Artest - 78

Great game and effort and we pull out the win with another gritty defensive performance and Ponds picking his spots and facilitating.  Heron with another big game as well.
"I drink and I know things"

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 09:00:39 AM »
Paul Ryan  - 80
Peter King - 74

As we just learned, it's not easy beating a team 3 times in a season.  This fan will be in the building rooting for all he's worth. Come one come all.  They've earned it.

Is there any empirical data that shows it is definitively harder to beat a team for a 3rd time in a season if you have beat them twice already.  It is statement that is thrown out there ad nausem in this situation but has anyone confirmed this is true?

I did a little research and since re-alignment in the nfl in 2002, this situation has happened 6 times.  The team that has swept the other team in the regular season is 4-2 in those games.

Since the 1970 merger in the nfl, its happened 20 times and the 2-0 teams have won 13 of those games.

Small sample size but it would show it its actually easier to beat a team the 3rd time if you have beaten them twice already.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 09:01:49 AM by Mullins Revenge »

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 09:08:24 AM »
I don’t think Howard will be quiet today. However, Ponds becomes an animal around Howard.

My gut tells me the refs will give aslight advantage to Marquette as the league clearly wants them to advance with us now safely in.

If Clark and the wings can avoid foul trouble we will win.

Marillac

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 09:19:51 AM »
Is there any empirical data that shows it is definitively harder to beat a team for a 3rd time in a season if you have beat them twice already.  It is statement that is thrown out there ad nausem in this situation but has anyone confirmed this is true?

I did a little research and since re-alignment in the nfl in 2002, this situation has happened 6 times.  The team that has swept the other team in the regular season is 4-2 in those games.

Since the 1970 merger in the nfl, its happened 20 times and the 2-0 teams have won 13 of those games.

Small sample size but it would show it its actually easier to beat a team the 3rd time if you have beaten them twice already.

You researched professional football to see if it’s harder for a college basketball team to win three times over another college basketball team?

Just in the last two years we beat DePaul and Gtown in the Big East Tournament after going 0-2 against them.

All other variables (e.g., location of game and injuries) remaining unchanged I believe a team that loses has the advantage in a rematch.

Of course those variables are almost never the same like in our third game with Marquette today. We will be playing them in the third arena of the season.

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 09:30:03 AM »
You researched professional football to see if it’s harder for a college basketball team to win three times over another college basketball team?

Just in the last two years we beat DePaul and Gtown in the Big East Tournament after going 0-2 against them.

All other variables (e.g., location of game and injuries) remaining unchanged I believe a team that loses has the advantage in a rematch.

Of course those variables are almost never the same like in our third game with Marquette today. We will be playing them in the third arena of the season.

So over a 10-year period in college basketball including almost 1,000 games, the team that won the first 2 games won the third meeting 72.4% of the time. So it clearly doesn’t follow that it is hard to beat a team 3 times. In fact, it’s actually kind of easy.

http://coachbobwalsh.com/2018/03/02/its-hard-to-beat-a-team-three-times/

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 09:33:18 AM »
I'm expecting a close game. I think the rest, and the fact that it's going to be extremely difficult to beat a top 25 team 3 times in one season puts us on the wrong side of this one.

Marquette 82
St. John's 76

SJUFAN

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 09:33:34 AM »
We match up well. Putting Simon on Howard has been the key to our success.

jsk

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 09:55:46 AM »
Johnnies 81
Goldie’s 80

In a squeaker!

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 10:01:45 AM »
So over a 10-year period in college basketball including almost 1,000 games, the team that won the first 2 games won the third meeting 72.4% of the time. So it clearly doesn’t follow that it is hard to beat a team 3 times. In fact, it’s actually kind of easy.

So now the guy that says that Simon doesn’t belong in D1 despite data saying otherwise is gonna go and do some research. Interesting.

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »
Theo John always worries me. Seems like he’s always on the verge of a monster game against a small team. Simon should be able to handle Howard and one of Heron/LJ can handle the Hauser.

Johnnies by 4: 78 to you do the math.

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »
We need to stop Howard again. The Hauser brothers could be a problem. One of them beat us two years ago. A zone is not a good defense against Marquette. Our switching man to man is the answer.

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 10:55:43 AM »
I do not want to hear that fatigue is a factor because we played the day before.

I just watched Pond's only comp for that metro player of the year award thing and the nations 2nd leading scorer, Justin Wright-Foreman, play 38, 44 and then 40 minutes back to back to back days in a losing effort in the championship game to Northeastern.

He was all over the court on the 3rd day scoring 29, and he dominates the ball and has to carry the load worse than Walden.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:55 AM »

So nearly 1/3 of the time a team that swept the season lost to that team in the postseason. I consider that pretty high, don’t you?

In that mix you have many dominant teams like Duke and Gonzaga just rolling over inferior opponents.

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 11:13:51 AM »

I've never researched the stats on it, but it doesn't surprise me as one of those things that gets repeated so often it becomes the gospel. 

I remember the upstart Pitino-Providence squad (which advanced to the Final Four) from '86-'87 beat the Johnnies three times during that particular season.  The first two games was close (beat us by 12 in OT at Providence and by 1 at St. John's), but the Friars spanked us in the 3rd game in the Big East Tournament.  Beat us by nearly 30 points.  I remember listening to the game on the radio (as, the quarterfinals was no longer televised by ESPN, while the semifinals and championship game was televised on CBS) and being pretty pissed. 

I'm more concerned about our legs and stamina than us facing Marquette for the 3rd time. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 11:14:31 AM by mjdinkins »

goredmen

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
Line opened at Marquette -2 and was quickly bet up to 3.5

Ez_Uzi

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 03:42:13 PM »
Prediction? The game Shamorie Ponds shows why he should have been BE best player of the year ...

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 04:05:52 PM »
Anyone have tickets they're selling? Last minute try.

goredmen

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2019, 07:06:13 PM »
Driscoll on the call. We lose

Johnny23

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2019, 07:17:34 PM »
That was NYC Showtime Ponds right there.