[Game Discussion] Queens College

• 50 replies
[Game Discussion] Queens College
« on: October 29, 2019, 03:02:37 PM »
Lets get ready to talk some on court basketball. What would you like to see from lineup? Combo? Distribution of minutes? Expectations from Mustapha and LJ?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: [Game Discussion] Queens College
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:07:00 PM »
I'm really most interested in seeing point guard play and committee approach. Does the offense stall? Do turnovers increase? Do we run til gas tank is empty? How much distribution of minutes do we see?

Rutherford is most likely going to log 15 min by necessity. Can Greg Williams give 20? Is he capable? Will Mustapha run more point than we think?

ras

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 10:02:41 PM »
Hopefully Williams is healthy, because of our 2 guard losses, we are going to need him. Wouldn’t mind seeing LJ play some point forward.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 11:07:00 PM »
I believe LJ will play point-forward when Rutherford is not in the game. Unlike Simon, I think he has the skill to be quite dangerous in this role. 

I don’t think Williams is ready to play more than a few minutes at the point without massive help. I imagine he will be defending the point while he’s in, though.

Pencil Rutherford for around 20 regardless of how good he is. Our season probably hinges on him not being a disaster.

Losing Dunn will force us to go big most of the game. Defending smaller guards now looks like a big issue with only 10 fouls to give and considering how unimpressive Rutherford has looked athletically looked thus far.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 10:16:56 AM »
LJ played some point in high school but I'm skeptical his handle is tight enough to do this for extended minutes.

TONYD3

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 05:13:59 PM »
I want to see the guys come out hard. Play some defense, get some steals, get some easy baskets. Play tough and rebound. No bad shots. I want to see a team that is prepared.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 07:34:05 PM »
Who else is excited for all the Marillac Sears love posts?
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

goredmen

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 07:39:16 PM »
Heron is extremely engaged on both ends. The whole team is very active on defensive end which is nice

goredmen

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 07:39:50 PM »
oh no

TONYD3

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 07:49:50 PM »
oh no
He is fine. Came back to bench. No limp or anything

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 07:51:08 PM »
At this point I’m just happy it wasn’t the knee.. we’ll have to cross our fingers but at least he got up and hobbled off.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

TONYD3

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 07:59:15 PM »
Herron in layup lines.

Poison

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2019, 08:03:00 PM »
I like how under control Rutherford is. His j sucks so he doesn’t have to shoot one.

TONYD3

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2019, 08:12:03 PM »
I like how under control Rutherford is. His j sucks so he doesn’t have to shoot one.
He looks good. He needs to be some what of a threat though.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2019, 08:29:24 PM »
He looks good. He needs to be some what of a threat though.

If he can take and make one three a game, maybe it can work. 

Poison

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2019, 09:11:30 PM »
Overall, a pretty encouraging game.

Roberts looks like a different player. I thought I was watching Jakarr Sampson.

Williams and Earlington have improved as well. Williams cannot be a point. Enough w that nonsense. Earlington makes space and goes hard to the basket. It’s not going to work every time, but the toughness is a refreshing addition.

Rutherford looks offensively challenged, but it’s just one game. He looks capable of distributing the ball, and he’s all over the place on defense. We really need Dunn to be that second ball handler.

Caraher had a nice put back under the basket. I’m having a hard time figuring out where he should play. Is he a 4? I think so. Didn’t see him put it on the floor once.

I thought Champagnie was the most raw. It will be very interesting to see how his play develops throughout the season. He reminded me of freshman year Donald Emanuel.

Sears I didn’t notice too much. He seemed unsure of what his job was on the court.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 01:02:09 AM by Poison »

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2019, 09:16:59 PM »
Caraher looked lost to me.  His passing was soft too.

TONYD3

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2019, 09:36:11 PM »
Caraher looked lost to me.  His passing was soft too.
My expectations were really low. He is at least alert on defense. He competed there. Hopefully he can be a bench player.

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2019, 11:11:36 PM »
Queens College.

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2019, 11:47:04 PM »
Josh Roberts is noticeably stronger and less Bambi. Excited about his progress.

As for the rest of the team we need a lot of work. We are gonna have to lean on LJ and Heron a lot offensively. That’s concerning bc I could see them wearing down by February especially Heron who hasn’t played a full season ever.

Teams are gonna sag on Rutherford and Champagnie bad. Gonna double LJ and Heron. Need these guys to at least be a threat early in games.