Heron out for season

• 70 replies

goredmen

Re: Heron out for season
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2020, 06:16:20 PM »
Okay, but this is why your question - "So who was the solution in April after Hurley turned us down?" - is kind of silly. We could have offered - pie in the sky - Pitino sure but why not otherwise Schrewshensi, Billies Self and Gillespie, Larry Brown, even Tubby Smith was available. Because you can offer anyone. None of them would have said yes. So yes we considered a bunch of coaches many of whom stank who were under contract but were the coaches considered not recommended by Jeff Capel as home runs available. We'll never know, because the search was bollocks which leads inexorably to the conclusion that they should never have fired Lavin. And he was awful.

I generally agree with all of that. But Dave has been anti-Anderson hire from the day it happened as if there were better realistic options available. Perhaps Dave felt that we should have prioritized Cluess after Hurley. Or maybe he would have preferred to roll the dice with a young guy like Ryan Odom. Or maybe nobody realistic would have been a solution which is the most likely situation. To me, claiming Anderson is not the solution implies he thinks maybe an actual solution was attainable, but maybe I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2020, 06:18:04 PM by goredmen »

Foad

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2020, 08:37:19 PM »
I generally agree with all of that. But Dave has been anti-Anderson hire from the day it happened as if there were better realistic options available. Perhaps Dave felt that we should have prioritized Cluess after Hurley. Or maybe he would have preferred to roll the dice with a young guy like Ryan Odom. Or maybe nobody realistic would have been a solution which is the most likely situation. To me, claiming Anderson is not the solution implies he thinks maybe an actual solution was attainable, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not going to speak for Dave but he's been pretty clear in saying that Lavin should not have been let go and neither should Mullin, that in both cases the administration should have worked to ameliorate their deficiencies rather than start over again every four or five years. Which if that's the case no one comprises a solution because a new coach wasn't the answer.

As to the follow up question, he can answer for himself if he cares to whether once Lavin was fired and then Mullin was and neither should have been and then Hurley said no and Porter said no and Cluess said no thank you and Ryan Odom said please god no who they might have ended up with that's better than Jeff Capel's choice who got Coach K's blessing. (I vaguely recall him endorsing Lavin two point oh but I don't know how serious that was). Regarding his opinion of coach home run I tend to agree: I haven't seen anything that gives me hope for the future, but then I'm an optimist.

Foad

« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2020, 08:39:00 PM »
we hear claims like this all the time that don't come to fruition.

Yeah, we've had decades of roster stability.

SJUFAN

« Reply #63 on: February 13, 2020, 11:39:19 PM »
Dave - I know enough to realize that you hear things or get information I'm not privy to about the school.  From a distance - someone who watches every game and follows the team - a "mass exodus" wouldn't make sense.

Williams has improved.  His Dad also is extremely positive about Anderson on Twitter, and seems as if he is often posting on behalf of not just Greg Jr but also Roberts and Earlington.

Roberts/Earlington - both improved, playing and light years better.  We've seen what kids with one foot out the door look like - neither of these seem to be the case.

I'd say the same thing on Carraher. 

Dunn - again, besides that he's moved around a lot, his Uncle has nothing but public praise for Anderson and the staff from what I've seen.

If you are talking about Steere, it makes sense even before the suspension.  Do I know whose fault that is - no.  If the kid wasn't in shape, wasn't practicing hard, and wasn't buying in, what are you supposed to do?  He's already been at one major program that he stayed at for all but two seconds before the Marco-Polo of recruiters brought him in the door.  Perhaps he has some of the Keita/Dixon/Wright "itus", which wouldn't be the first time that this happened with one of Mr. Nebraska's recruits.

As for Heron, without knowing anything, I'm not ready to put him in the same boat as Lovett.  Maybe I'm wrong.  Heron doesn't seem like the type of kid who would do this.  He's still around the team and engaged.  He publicly praised the hire of Anderson when it happened, having played against his teams in the SEC.  The writing was on the wall with Lovett based on his history and public comments made by his Dad about not wanting to risk injury any further.  Heron has something to gain by playing well down the stretch, on multiple levels.

It’s not a mass exodus...it’s a firing squad. If Williams, Roberts, and Earlington get caught in the cross fire so be it.

Marillac

« Reply #64 on: February 15, 2020, 02:35:33 AM »
It’s not a mass exodus...it’s a firing squad. If Williams, Roberts, and Earlington get caught in the cross fire so be it.

So be it? That would end next season before it begins, you impossibly stupid sack of sh*t.

Sacrifice next season and lose Coke, Moore, probably McGriff, and more the season after that. That’s a pink slip.

Marillac

« Reply #65 on: February 15, 2020, 02:39:01 AM »
Forget Mullin and Lavin, we shouldn’t have fired Jarvis. The guy was getting commitments from All-Americans with no facilities and a budget so low be was picking up recruits in a station wagon. Imagine what he could have done with Taffner, the budget coaches have today, and an extension? We’d have ten more tournament appearances and no Pitt scandal.

Marillac

« Reply #66 on: February 15, 2020, 02:46:17 AM »

Firing squads don’t have “cross fire” you f*cking ‘tard.

Did your parents bash you over the head with a hammer or was the head trauma accidental?

« Reply #67 on: February 15, 2020, 12:13:46 PM »
Forget Mullin and Lavin, we shouldn’t have fired Jarvis. The guy was getting commitments from All-Americans with no facilities and a budget so low be was picking up recruits in a station wagon. Imagine what he could have done with Taffner, the budget coaches have today, and an extension? We’d have ten more tournament appearances and no Pitt scandal.

Except for the part where he told HS coaches and players to go F themselves he was gonna recruit strictly JUCOs and he couldn't be bothered to attend the coaches dinner. He was good for a while and was a good coach though.

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: February 15, 2020, 05:07:00 PM »
Except for the part where he told HS coaches and players to go F themselves he was gonna recruit strictly JUCOs and he couldn't be bothered to attend the coaches dinner. He was good for a while and was a good coach though.

Hearsay is taken as gospel at St. John’s. Reason #1 why this job is the worst in major college basketball. 

I don’t believe the Fraser story as it has been passed down. I also heard that Fraser had a very high asking price which Nova met.

As for your recruiting statement...false once again. He landed a McDonald’s All-American the year before he was fired. He landed Showtime and Lamont Hamilton the year he was fired. Showtime was ranked 25 by some outlets and Hamilton was top 100...both were named All-Big East in the old conference.

What JUCOs did you take issue with? Hatten? Epperson? Ryan Williams? Grady Reynolds? Sharif Fordham? Andre Stanley (as a walkon!)?

I’d take any one of them again.

« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2020, 05:24:32 PM »
Hearsay is taken as gospel at St. John’s. Reason #1 why this job is the worst in major college basketball. 

I don’t believe the Fraser story as it has been passed down. I also heard that Fraser had a very high asking price which Nova met.

As for your recruiting statement...false once again. He landed a McDonald’s All-American the year before he was fired. He landed Showtime and Lamont Hamilton the year he was fired. Showtime was ranked 25 by some outlets and Hamilton was top 100...both were named All-Big East in the old conference.

What JUCOs did you take issue with? Hatten? Epperson? Ryan Williams? Grady Reynolds? Sharif Fordham? Andre Stanley (as a walkon!)?

I’d take any one of them again.

Look I love JUCO's but you can't tell all the local HS coaches you won't be recruiting their kids and I seem to remember reading Jarvis's own words in the newspaper however I'm not willing to stake my life on it. If you think differently that's fine.

nudginator59

• It's better to be a Smart ass then a Dumb shart
« Reply #70 on: February 15, 2020, 05:44:10 PM »
SJU Admin should write  a book on how to ruin and bury a historically successful program, that will take decades (and maybe ever a century) to recover from.

Some how the admin was able to make a worse decision after making a previous terrible decision. Just sprinkle in some bad luck for full effectiveness.

Also having a corrupt priest run the school for 20 years helps. At least the current President is trying to right the ship, even if he has made some poor decisions.
Cougar O' Malley