Why Weiss Why?

• 12 replies
Why Weiss Why?
« on: August 21, 2008, 02:32:10 PM »
Does this guy not like St. John's or is he just a cenile reporter that is out of touch with reality?

This isn't the first time I've thought he has thrown some cheap jabs at St. John's. It may not appear like a slander however its being misleading. Perhaps this is just the nature of journalism however I just see it more often than not when reading his stuff.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/08/islands-top-player-pondering-t.html

Omari Lawrence just committed to St. John’s, and close friend Kevin Parrom, his teammate at South Kent (Conn.) Prep, is also strongly considering the Johnnies.

“St. John’s is on the list,” Parrom said. “It’s a good school.”

Parrom added that Lawrence had called him soon after committing to St. John’s. As well, Oswald Cross, Parrom’s AAU coach with the New York Panthers, just accepted a staff position in Fresh Meadows.

Still, the Johnnies have plenty of work to do on this one. Xavier, South Carolina, Pitt, Temple, Marquette and UConn are all involved. Parrom said he was hoping to take three visits next month, but St. John’s wasn’t on that list.

“I haven’t planned them yet, but most likely I’ll be taking a visit to UConn and Xavier and South Carolina,” he said.

Umm Hey Dick he just took a visit last week. Perhaps thats why St. John's isn't on his visit list this month. To me this sounds like he is trying to tear St. John's down a peg. Is it just me?

Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Why Weiss Why?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
i didnt get that vibe...

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 02:49:01 PM »
i wouldn't call it a jab...I think he was just trying to get across the idea that he doesn't think Parrom is a done deal.

It does show he is out of touch since he didn't realize he already visited St. John's recently.  But nothing new there. ;D

When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 02:52:43 PM »
i didnt get that vibe...

I agree, not that bad.

Incomplete information, but short of a "cheap jab", & prob not on purpose.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:57:18 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 02:57:12 PM »
Why? Because he is "buddies" with Calipari & is still upset he didn't get the SJU job.. lol ... plus, he kissed that bald sc*mbag Jarvis' ass right up untill the "Fire Jarvis" chants could be heard miles outside of NYC.. ::) .. peace!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 02:59:04 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2008, 03:18:28 PM »
I should have said at the beginning of this post lets refrain from the name calling. I'm not attacking Weiss personally by creating this thread. I just feel he paints a picture in the same light quite often and its one of this nature. If it were once I'd say eh he is off his rocker but its consistently these slight jabs.

Poison

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
Does this guy not like St. John's or is he just a cenile reporter that is out of touch with reality?

This isn't the first time I've thought he has thrown some cheap jabs at St. John's. It may not appear like a slander however its being misleading. Perhaps this is just the nature of journalism however I just see it more often than not when reading his stuff.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/08/islands-top-player-pondering-t.html

Omari Lawrence just committed to St. John’s, and close friend Kevin Parrom, his teammate at South Kent (Conn.) Prep, is also strongly considering the Johnnies.

“St. John’s is on the list,” Parrom said. “It’s a good school.”

Parrom added that Lawrence had called him soon after committing to St. John’s. As well, Oswald Cross, Parrom’s AAU coach with the New York Panthers, just accepted a staff position in Fresh Meadows.

Still, the Johnnies have plenty of work to do on this one. Xavier, South Carolina, Pitt, Temple, Marquette and UConn are all involved. Parrom said he was hoping to take three visits next month, but St. John’s wasn’t on that list.

“I haven’t planned them yet, but most likely I’ll be taking a visit to UConn and Xavier and South Carolina,” he said.

Umm Hey Dick he just took a visit last week. Perhaps thats why St. John's isn't on his visit list this month. To me this sounds like he is trying to tear St. John's down a peg. Is it just me?

Hoops Weiss is one of the only writers that still bothers to cover us at all.

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 03:45:47 PM »
Hoops Weiss gets his info from message boards like the rest of us

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 03:48:57 PM »
I should have said at the beginning of this post lets refrain from the name calling. I'm not attacking Weiss personally by creating this thread. I just feel he paints a picture in the same light quite often and its one of this nature. If it were once I'd say eh he is off his rocker but its consistently these slight jabs.

I didn't call him any names JJ... u asked why he is constantly taking "jabs" at the SJU program & i provided u with the answer.. :) ... I lost alot of respect for Weiss during the start of the '02-'03 season when he said & i quote : "i would not be surprised if SJU started the season 11-0"... then when that was OBVIOUSLY not going to happen he basically ignored us & the HORRENDOUS job Jarvis did that entire year... up untill Hatten put us on his back and basically single-handedly won us the NIT title... Weiss finally spoke up & actually had the balls to call for an extension for Jarvis.. ::) .. Meanwhile, anyone close to the program KNEW that this pompous jerk was slowly but surely destroying all our recruiting ties in the NYC area & was signing a bunch of questionable "characters" as well.. >:( .. No doubt, the guy is/was a great college hoops writer but he has lost alot off his fastball the last few years & still holds a grudge against the SJU brass for embarassing his "buddy" calipari in the press during our last coaching search.....  plus, it could be that the glue from that BAD toupe is finally starting to seep into his brain.. ;D .. peace!

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 04:32:13 PM »

I didn't call him any names JJ... u asked why he is constantly taking "jabs" at the SJU program & i provided u with the answer.. :) ... I lost alot of respect for Weiss during the start of the '02-'03 season when he said & i quote : "i would not be surprised if SJU started the season 11-0"... then when that was OBVIOUSLY not going to happen he basically ignored us & the HORRENDOUS job Jarvis did that entire year... up untill Hatten put us on his back and basically single-handedly won us the NIT title... Weiss finally spoke up & actually had the balls to call for an extension for Jarvis.. ::) .. Meanwhile, anyone close to the program KNEW that this pompous jerk was slowly but surely destroying all our recruiting ties in the NYC area & was signing a bunch of questionable "characters" as well.. >:( .. No doubt, the guy is/was a great college hoops writer but he has lost alot off his fastball the last few years & still holds a grudge against the SJU brass for embarassing his "buddy" calipari in the press during our last coaching search.....  plus, it could be that the glue from that BAD toupe is finally starting to seep into his brain.. ;D .. peace!
Respectfully, I didn't find Weiss' article to be pernicious nor Calipari to be embarrassed by the "SJU brass" during the last coaching search.

mkras99

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2008, 05:18:19 PM »
This was posted by Ebenezer Samuel, not Hoops Weiss.  Boom there goes the dynamite.

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2008, 05:27:56 PM »
This was posted by Ebenezer Samuel, not Hoops Weiss.  Boom there goes the dynamite.

I stand corrected! I thought Weiss' blog was written by Weiss then again this situation might be funnier.

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2008, 11:50:49 AM »

Respectfully, I didn't find Weiss' article to be pernicious nor Calipari to be embarrassed by the "SJU brass" during the last coaching search.

Respectfully, i agree with u on both of ur points. Was just providing JJ with a possible explanation for his pereceived slights against SJU in some of Weiss' articles. Which may not have been apparent in this last article but UNDOUBTEDLY have occured in the past... as far as the SJU brass "embarassing" Cal during the coaching search. I can only point to redmen.com & guys like mkras99 who posted EVERYTHING negataive they could find about the guy on that site during the "search"... coupled with a few articles in the media pointing to Cal's "SHADY" history as to why he did not get the job at SJU... from what i heard a few of Cal's buddies thought these articles were pushed upon the press/internet to get SJU off the hook for not shelling out the big money for a "name" coach like MANY fans(including myself.. lol .. but unlike some people, who have trashed Norm, the school, our players & the admin since the day he was hired.... i got over my disappointment the next day because i love SJU basketball & realized there was nothing i could do about it at that point) wanted at that time... Bottom line, IMHO, Weiss has "slighted" Norm/SJU in many of his articles over the past few years & it definitely has something to do with the fact he is "buddies" with Cal & the fact he did not get the SJU job....  peace!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 12:54:14 PM by oldred10 »