Re: St. John's is now a system program
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2020, 10:57:58 AM »
I see our team having top 5 scores with:

14 ppg
13 ppg
12.5 ppg
11 ppg
9 ppg

The names of who does what really doesn't matter how we are built. I think our system is more of next man up, committee style, and that is OK.

All our eggs into one basket (Ponds) led to amazing wins (shooting 13-17 from the floor) and some frustrating losses (5-18 from the floor).

Diversify your scoring St. John's! 

I think this is likely a Norm Roberts level talent group, but hopefully a top 25 level coach.

Stranger things have happened.

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2020, 12:55:07 PM »
I think this is likely a Norm Roberts level talent group, but hopefully a top 25 level coach.

Stranger things have happened.

And a more forgiving (which I love) league.

Not to get too far into it, but the talent norm had on his least team could have done some damage in this league with a better coach. The extra year + lavin & Dunlap were a huge help, but still as juniors + Mason JR they had some talent.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2020, 01:37:31 PM »
Anderson has never been good at getting the big stars, he get's the 6-3 to 6-6 wing/shooter players like Cole and turns them into Winners, too many times has he found diamond in the roughs in JUCO and they turn out to be all-SEC players, recruiting rankings means nothing because JUCO's dont count and thats what he will get in 2021 also, which is not a bad thing because he has proven that it works.

Name one diamond in the rough JUCO player that became an All-SEC under Anderson.

Jayen Barford was a 4 star All-American.

Daryl Macon was a JUCO All-American too.

Those are the only JUCO All-SEC players he's ever had.

I wish Mike Anderson was a good of a coach in reality as he is in your mind.

Edit: I decided to look up all of his All-SEC players in the 8 years he coached.

1st Team Daniel Gafford
Freshman team Isaiah Joe

1st Team Jaylen Barford
2nd Team Daryl Macon
Freshman team Daniel Gafford

2nd Team Moses Kingsley

2nd Team Moses Kingsley

1st Team Bobby Portis
2nd Team Michael Qualls
Freshman Team Anton Beard

2nd Team Bobby Portis
Freshman Team Bobby Portis

2nd Team Marshawn Powell
2nd Team BJ Young

2nd Team BJ Young
Freshman Team BJ Young

That's all.

« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 08:49:16 AM by Jon Snow »

Poison

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2020, 01:53:00 PM »

Not to get too far into it, but the talent norm had on his least team could have done some damage in this league with a better coach. The extra year + lavin & Dunlap were a huge help, but still as juniors + Mason JR they had some talent.

I don’t know about that actually. We used to get USF, Rutgers, bad Virginia Tech teams etc often twice in one season.

Yes, the conference had more names, but what does it say about USF if they couldn’t beat Norm Roberts?

Foad

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 02:02:49 PM »
Name one diamond in the rough JUCO player that became an All-SEC under Anderson.

Jayen Barfoed was a 4 star All-American.

Daryl Macon was a JUCO All-American too.

Those are the only JUCO All-SEC players he's ever had.

I wish Mike Anderaon was a good of a coach in reality as he is in your mind.

Once is never enough but twice is too many times.

Marillac

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 10:17:20 AM »

Bingo.  That was a tournament team and the guy had no clue how to make it work.  That squad with Mase Jr. as a 5th-year senior was 6-12 in conference.  They also had a soph Quincy Roberts, who went on to average 24 pts and 6 rebounds at Grambling, and Omari Lawrence who went on to average 13 mpg for a Kansas State team that made the tournament. Norm had NINE juniors on scholarship and a fifth-year senior that year!  The next year they just replaced Mase Jr and Lawrence with Polee and then went 12-6 and were beating ranked teams by 15+ regularly.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2020, 10:39:23 AM »
Anderson has never been good at getting the big stars, he get's the 6-3 to 6-6 wing/shooter players like Cole and turns them into Winners, too many times has he found diamond in the roughs in JUCO and they turn out to be all-SEC players, recruiting rankings means nothing because JUCO's dont count and thats what he will get in 2021 also, which is not a bad thing because he has proven that it works.

I don't know how true this is. 

I can't find a roster of his at Arkansas where he didn't have a very highly ranked kid.

He had #36 RSCI Daniel Gafford his last two seasons.  Prior to that he had #47 RSCI Moses Kingsley for four seasons.  In 15-16 he had #65 RSCI Jimmy Whit. In 14-15 he had #14 RSCI Bobby Portis and #42 RSCI Rashad Madden. In 12-13 he had #20 BJ Young and #71 and #72 along with Kingsley as a frosh.  In his first season in 11-12 it was the same thing minus Kingsley.

He had 3-4 top 75 RSCI guys most years at Missouri.

He doesn't have those types of guys here and he doesn't seem like he will be getting them.

SJU85

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2020, 04:22:36 PM »
True that, but I wanted to keep it within this century. That being said, an off the top of my head teams of St Johns JuCo's...

Walter Berry
Bootsy Thornton
Marcus Hatten
Dwight Hardy
Justin Brownlee
Bashir Ahmed

thoughts?

Adding

Billy Goodwin
Boo Harvey
Billy Paultz

Poison

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2020, 07:43:00 AM »
Adding

Billy Goodwin
Boo Harvey
Billy Paultz

Harvey has been added, but all good additions. We’ve had hits and misses with jucos over the years, and I really can’t think of too many guys that couldn’t play at this level.

Mike Mennefield comes to mind. Avery Patterson wasn’t physically able to keep up. I’m drawing a blank on others.

« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2020, 01:13:03 PM »
Harvey has been added, but all good additions. We’ve had hits and misses with jucos over the years, and I really can’t think of too many guys that couldn’t play at this level.

Mike Mennefield comes to mind. Avery Patterson wasn’t physically able to keep up. I’m drawing a blank on others.
If memory serves Mitchell Foster had about the same impact as Mennefield-think they gave us like 4 and 4 which did offer some contribution.

Poison

« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2020, 02:42:06 PM »
If memory serves Mitchell Foster had about the same impact as Mennefield-think they gave us like 4 and 4 which did offer some contribution.

Foster was limited offensively, but he held it together defensively when we lost our starting center. He was a quality Juco role player. Sharif Fordham is another juco guy who played a role for us and played it well.

Mennefield had one game, Louisville or maybe Georgetown where he had double figures in rebounds. He was otherwise barely noticeable.

Foad

« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2020, 04:48:02 PM »
The great James Scott was a JUCO. Also LJF, how soon they forget.

Poison

« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2020, 06:48:29 PM »

Scott had Michigan and Syracuse at MSG and I’m happy for him that he at least had those to go out on.

His first season here was a rough one. The transition to the point wasn’t one he was able to make.

Foad

« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2020, 05:14:31 PM »
Scott had Michigan and Syracuse at MSG and I’m happy for him that he at least had those to go out on.

His first season here was a rough one. The transition to the point wasn’t one he was able to make.

Not doubting you - you have a terrific memory - but I don't remember him as a PG or even auditioning to be one. I remember him as having a great baseline jump shot. The inside information is that he had a bit of a substance abuse problem. Which I sympathize with, and like Pike Bishop I share very few sympathies.

One thing I'm sure we can agree on is that he played for absolutely the worst coach St John's has ever had, the guy who did less with more than anyone. Scott was a McD all american, a two time JUCO all american and an NBA player and dopey Bowel Movement had less of an idea to do with him than he did with Felipe and Zendon and Roshown McLeod. BM made Norm look like Wooden.

Poison

« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2020, 06:08:04 PM »
Not doubting you - you have a terrific memory - but I don't remember him as a PG or even auditioning to be one. I remember him as having a great baseline jump shot. The inside information is that he had a bit of a substance abuse problem. Which I sympathize with, and like Pike Bishop I share very few sympathies.

One thing I'm sure we can agree on is that he played for absolutely the worst coach St John's has ever had, the guy who did less with more than anyone. Scott was a McD all american, a two time JUCO all american and an NBA player and dopey Bowel Movement had less of an idea to do with him than he did with Felipe and Zendon and Roshown McLeod. BM made Norm look like Wooden.

Scott was a 2 or a 3. If we had a more well rounded team and played him there, he’d have been fine. We had solid players his first year here, but the drop off from David Cain to Mo Brown was significant. Brown wasn’t ready to run the point in the BE, and Mahoney had Scott try to run the offense. It wasn’t successful, nor was it when they put Derek Brown at the point. What confuses me more than anything is how a NY program that had so many point guards to choose from could bomb at such an important position, but they did. The second Mahoney was recruiting for his own program, he did an awful job despite it being disguised as a great one.

Foad

« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2020, 07:31:30 PM »
What confuses me more than anything is how a NY program that had so many point guards to choose from could bomb at such an important position, but they did. The second Mahoney was recruiting for his own program, he did an awful job despite it being disguised as a great one.

BM landed a slew of well regarded recruits and had no idea what to do with them. Besides the aforementioned see also Barrett, Rowan. Re PG, Mo Brown was highly regarded as was Tarik Turner. Worst. Coach. Ever.

derk

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2020, 11:13:46 AM »

Man could that boy shoot. Remember watching a tv game that aired just before the Super Bowl. Too bad we didn't have him for 2 - 3 years.

jr49

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2020, 11:58:15 AM »
Man could that boy shoot. Remember watching a tv game that aired just before the Super Bowl. Too bad we didn't have him for 2 - 3 years.
I'm thinking of him as a big brawny kid, do i have the right guy.

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2020, 12:30:13 PM »
I'm thinking of him as a big brawny kid, do i have the right guy.
Heck no! 6'5 athletic shooting guard.

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2020, 06:54:07 PM »

I think Mahoney had him play PG minutes while still trying to figure out how to use Scott. His dribble was too high for a full time PG and the system was poor for passing. Add him to Felipe, Zendon, Rowan Barrett, McLoud and others...what could have been.