How would you grade recruiting 1 yr in for Mike Anderson?

• 36 replies
How would you grade recruiting 1 yr in for Mike Anderson?
« on: August 23, 2020, 02:31:50 PM »
He and staff have had ample time now. Lets discuss your thoughts on how recruiting has been. Are you pleased? concerned? disappointed? indifferent?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

ras

Re: How would you grade recruiting 1 yr in for Mike Anderson?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2020, 03:11:56 PM »
He and staff have had ample time now. Lets discuss your thoughts on how recruiting has been. Are you pleased? concerned? disappointed? indifferent?
I think the fairest thing to do is evaluate him after this season. Players shouldn’t be judged by number of stars, but by performance on court. A lot of intangibles go into recruiting.

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2020, 04:38:47 PM »
I think the fairest thing to do is evaluate him after this season. Players shouldn’t be judged by number of stars, but by performance on court. A lot of intangibles go into recruiting.

So we have to wait 2 years before evaluating recruiting?

Poison

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2020, 04:39:30 PM »
I’m a little concerned that Coach Anderson hasn’t landed higher ranked players, but be also learned that this’d rankings, often as they pertain to our players are inaccurate.

Our previous coach brought in less talent than than his predecessor, but he still had hype surrounding his recruits, most of which were disappointments.

Let’s see what Coach Anderson can do with a full season to recruit before we judge him on someone else’s rankings. After all, it’s impossible to know what we have until they play.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 04:40:32 PM by Poison »

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 10:11:05 PM »
I’m a little concerned that Coach Anderson hasn’t landed higher ranked players, but be also learned that this’d rankings, often as they pertain to our players are inaccurate.

Our previous coach brought in less talent than than his predecessor, but he still had hype surrounding his recruits, most of which were disappointments.

Let’s see what Coach Anderson can do with a full season to recruit before we judge him on someone else’s rankings. After all, it’s impossible to know what we have until they play.

I think there is a lot more to recruiting than simply rankings.

Scholarship balance, positional depth, locale of players, winning head to head on recruits in conference, assistant's role in players on roster. A lot to talk about and consider

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2020, 11:41:05 PM »
I only judge recruiting based upon performance on the court. Last years team over performed and Coach Anderson is to be applauded for that. I will wait to the end of the upcoming season before I will be able to offer an opinion on this years recruiting.

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2020, 12:40:27 AM »
I only judge recruiting based upon performance on the court. Last years team over performed and Coach Anderson is to be applauded for that. I will wait to the end of the upcoming season before I will be able to offer an opinion on this years recruiting.
Same as in pro sports. can't judge a draft class for a few years until you see how the players perform. Love NFL draft grades immediately after the draft LOL.

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2020, 08:22:39 AM »

I'd be a bit disappointed if we weren't a system program.  Team is built differently this time, so I am cautiously optimistic...but how about a 4* 2021 kid?

jr49

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2020, 11:19:03 AM »
So we have to wait 2 years before evaluating recruiting?
I would say 4 years and then judge him by results.

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2020, 02:03:15 PM »
If we're talking about what he's done recruitingwise so far:  If we contend for a national championship this season, he gets an A.  If we contend for a top spot in the Big East, he gets a B.  If we're middle of the pack BE, then it's a C.  Less than that, what do you think?

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 05:17:43 PM »
His recruiting has been disappointing.  He knows what he wants and he seems to be able to use less skilled athletic (and less coveted) guys better than more complex systems...but why can't he find guys that fit his system in the top 100?  That part really bothers me. We may go a decade under him with only 1 or 2 top 100 recruits and we'll be dead to big time recruits when his successor takes over.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 06:38:44 PM »
His recruiting has been disappointing.  He knows what he wants and he seems to be able to use less skilled athletic (and less coveted) guys better than more complex systems...but why can't he find guys that fit his system in the top 100?  That part really bothers me. We may go a decade under him with only 1 or 2 top 100 recruits and we'll be dead to big time recruits when his successor takes over.

His system appears to require a commitment to play both ends of the court. Some talented recruits may prefer to see themselves as scorers and rebounders. But not chasing anyone around the court. The one and done isn't buying into ninety feet of heat. He just wants to showcase.

Last year, our guys had open jumpers, open lanes to drive. Just didn't finish as often as needed.

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2020, 06:51:37 PM »
His system appears to require a commitment to play both ends of the court. Some talented recruits may prefer to see themselves as scorers and rebounders. But not chasing anyone around the court. The one and done isn't buying into ninety feet of heat. He just wants to showcase.

Last year, our guys had open jumpers, open lanes to drive. Just didn't finish as often as needed.

So nobody in the top 100 wants to play defense?  That's absurd. Dom Pointer was ranked top 40 and there are kids like him every year.  It's not like Anderson demands insane and fundamental half-court defense...it's just up and down pressure.  Kids like that.

Foad

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 08:44:24 PM »
Are we going to pretend that CTC is so far recruiting well? Because he's not. He's recruiting at about Norm level. I expect he'll do better than Norm did with Norm level recruits, but that's a pretty low bar.

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 08:53:24 AM »
So nobody in the top 100 wants to play defense?  That's absurd. Dom Pointer was ranked top 40 and there are kids like him every year.  It's not like Anderson demands insane and fundamental half-court defense...it's just up and down pressure.  Kids like that.
LJ didnt appear to like it...Yes, there is a percentage of kids who play all ninety feet. However, Dom was eight years ago, and CMA has a proven winning system. His first full year class of Posh, Cole, Moore and Wusu hasn't even been on the court yet. We had NIT last year. See how we do this year.

« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2020, 11:19:56 AM »
Dom was eight years ago...

Time keeps on slipping.  Back in my day....

jr49

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 12:41:19 PM »
If we're talking about what he's done recruitingwise so far:  If we contend for a national championship this season, he gets an A.  If we contend for a top spot in the Big East, he gets a B.  If we're middle of the pack BE, then it's a C.  Less than that, what do you think?
Middle of the pack BE ussually gets you in. Gets a  B.

Poison

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2020, 12:59:47 PM »
Middle of the pack BE ussually gets you in. Gets a  B.

And if we contend for a top spot in the BE, Coach Anderson gets a statue outside Carnesecca Arena.

jr49

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2020, 04:03:29 PM »
And if we contend for a top spot in the BE, Coach Anderson gets a statue outside Carnesecca Arena.
He gets that for wanting to be here. I like the guy and enjoyed watching them play last year. Figgy feeling the pressure was dissapointing. Most of the kids played hard and loose and I attribute that to coach.

Poison

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2020, 09:19:26 AM »
He gets that for wanting to be here. I like the guy and enjoyed watching them play last year. Figgy feeling the pressure was dissapointing. Most of the kids played hard and loose and I attribute that to coach.

Overall, I don’t think we had an effort problem. We had an instinct problem. Heron, dragged on defense. He was the modern version of Alpha Bangura. Great athleticism, but terrible instincts for the game on both ends of the floor. I know the style of basketball wasn’t ideal for him, but I’ve heard that pathetic excuse too often. Figueroa wasn’t as bad, but he killed the rest of the team with his ball hogging.

There’s a lot of talk about paying college athletes, and while I see that point, guys like Heron aren’t helping the cause. A St.John’s education is worth close to 60k a year last I checked. Did Heron, a top 40 recruit give St.John’s 60k worth of basketball?

How many other players could have filled those shoes? Even Greg Williams was a better player, and he wasn’t ranked anywhere near the top 100.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:12:59 PM by Poison »