Are we dancing?

• 137 replies
Re: Are we dancing?
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2021, 08:58:44 AM »
Wichita St., LSU, UCONN, Indiana, St. Louis are bubble teams in action tonight.

All of these teams but UConn won yesterday. Indiana (2OT) and Wichita St squeaked out victories.  Georgia Tech lost to Virginia.

Minnesota, Stanford, Oregon play tonight.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2021, 01:34:32 PM »
All of these teams but UConn won yesterday. Indiana (2OT) and Wichita St squeaked out victories.  Georgia Tech lost to Virginia.

Minnesota, Stanford, Oregon play tonight.

Minnesota pulled out a late win, and Oregon handled ASU. They are both looking likely to dance.

Stanford got spanked at home to Colorado.

VCU/Bonnies is one to watch tonight. Georgia Tech and Western Kentucky also in action.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 01:34:53 PM by Gray Chudney »

Johnny23

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 08:08:43 PM »
Maryland up 16 at the half on Minnesota. Another bubble busting loss potentially.

« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2021, 11:42:57 AM »
One game at a time, starting with Xavier.

Freemantle looks like he will go nuts on us, hopefully CMA has the answer

Johnny23

« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2021, 02:12:12 PM »
One game at a time, starting with Xavier.

Freemantle looks like he will go nuts on us, hopefully CMA has the answer

Another one that got away meaning that we should recruit this type of local, tough, lunch pail player. X is always a hard matchup for us. I don't think the team will have any problem getting up for them.

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2021, 08:27:16 AM »
St. Louis and Maryland both won yesterday in games they should have won.

Lots of bubble implications in tonight's games:

Richmond @VCU features two bubble teams.  Same with Minnesota @Indiana and Utah State @Boise St. Syracuse (@ Louisville), Maryland (home for lowly Nebraska on back to back nights), and Drake (@No Iowa) are also worth monitoring. Duke and Kentucky are still hangin around and also play tonight.

Marillac

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2021, 01:40:17 PM »
Another one that got away meaning that we should recruit this type of local, tough, lunch pail player. X is always a hard matchup for us. I don't think the team will have any problem getting up for them.

He doesn’t fit what we do.

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2021, 09:06:27 AM »
Maryland beat Nebraska again. Indiana beat Minnesota. Big Ten might wind up with 10 bids even with Minnesota having 0 road wins.

VCU might be close to securing a bid after beating Richmond, who is on the outside looking in.

Seton Hall probably has a bid locked up barring a collapse. Cuse @ Louisville was postponed.

Boise State beat Utah State, and many bracketologists have both teams barely in right now.  Mountain West getting 4 bids is not out of the question.

Wichita State has a huge opportunity against Houston tonight. Penn State can remain bubble relevant with an upset win against Ohio State tonight. Oregon and Stanford play late games.

Johnny23

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2021, 11:10:37 AM »
He doesn’t fit what we do.

Any big body who impacts the game the way Freemantle does down low fits what we do. Stop kidding yourself. We can never have enough bigs who can play down low.

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2021, 11:19:04 AM »
I don't see this team making the dance, the Bulter loss was a must win game.

Marillac

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2021, 01:13:52 PM »
Any big body who impacts the game the way Freemantle does down low fits what we do. Stop kidding yourself. We can never have enough bigs who can play down low.

We just watched Heron and LJ not fit in at all last year. It was actually awkward and sometimes painful to watch them.

Toro put up solid stats for an A-10 team and doesn’t even play here.

Freemantle belongs in a deliberate, structured offense. He’d be wasted in what we do.

Johnny23

« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2021, 01:34:22 PM »
We just watched Heron and LJ not fit in at all last year. It was actually awkward and sometimes painful to watch them.

Freemantle belongs in a deliberate, structured offense. He’d be wasted in what we do.

You were the one leading the charge for Heron and LJ last year. You are wrong. You adapt to the system you are in. Freemantle would have no problem excelling here.

Marillac

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2021, 11:50:06 PM »
You were the one leading the charge for Heron and LJ last year. You are wrong. You adapt to the system you are in. Freemantle would have no problem excelling here.

Heron was one of the most decorated returning seniors in program history. He was a five star recruit, two-time second team SEC selection, and a preseason all conference selection with LJ. LJ was a top 100 recruit, had an amazing first year at St. John’s, and is scoring double-digits and leading a tournament team, Oregon of the Pac-12, in rebounds this year.

Do you think certain players don’t fit certain systems better than others? That’s insane. Would Freemantle be just as good on Phi Slamma Jamma to you? Why do coaches try to dictate pace and style of play?

I’m not sure what your point is, but Mike Anderson would be the first person to tell you he looks for certain types of players.

Poison

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2021, 12:10:10 AM »
LJ stinks tonight.

« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2021, 05:00:01 AM »

If you look at LJs per 40 numbers you could make the argument Anderson’s system was the best fit hes had. Yea his shooting %s we’re way down last year but you can’t contribute that solely to the offensive system. He shot awful inside the arc on a lot of those same floaters and runners he was hitting his first season. Defensively, he was a monster in this system.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2021, 05:02:25 AM »
Going to be interesting couple weeks watching the bubble teams from
a-10 and mountain  west. Right now they both have 4 teams in or around the first teams out.

« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2021, 05:06:42 AM »
I think LJ is in a perfect role at Oregon. He is not an alpha and that’s what we needed him to be last year. He is your perfect 2nd or 3rd option. I think Oregon is starting to play there best basketball and will be tough out come tourney time. He had a season to remember his first year here and obviously something didn’t click last year.  we prob don’t have the Julian we have this year if he is still on roster so I would take that trade off any day.

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2021, 09:42:59 AM »
Oregon and Stanford won, and Wichita State got an enormous win against Houston. Penn State lost to OSU and is probably out.

Bubble teams: Drake, Boise State, Stanford, UCONN, Colorado State, St. Bonaventure, St Louis, Wichita State, Maryland, Utah State, Richmond, Ole Miss, Cuse, SMU, Duke, Louisiana Tech.

Per bracketmatrix, most of these teams are ahead of us on the consensus S-curve. ~17 teams fighting for ~6 bids. Might need to go 3-1 down the stretch AND win a BET game to be safely in.

Poison

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2021, 10:25:05 AM »
I think LJ is in a perfect role at Oregon. He is not an alpha and that’s what we needed him to be last year. He is your perfect 2nd or 3rd option. I think Oregon is starting to play there best basketball and will be tough out come tourney time. He had a season to remember his first year here and obviously something didn’t click last year.  we prob don’t have the Julian we have this year if he is still on roster so I would take that trade off any day.

I watched that game last night. LJ can’t shoot as well as he thinks he can. He’s a poor man’s Champagnie.

Marillac

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2021, 01:00:23 PM »
If you look at LJs per 40 numbers you could make the argument Anderson’s system was the best fit hes had. Yea his shooting %s we’re way down last year but you can’t contribute that solely to the offensive system. He shot awful inside the arc on a lot of those same floaters and runners he was hitting his first season. Defensively, he was a monster in this system.

Put stats aside and just go by what we saw. We both agreed he was ridiculous year one. I’m sure we’d both agree — along with every other reasonable and honest poster — that he was very disappointing last year. He took extremely deep shots far too often last year and in mostly bad spots. Heron was arguably worse.

We looked better without them when lesser basketball players took their minutes. Some people will just blindly blame the players for that. Mustapha Heron didn’t magically stop becoming an all-league lock.