Baruch exhibition game

• 11 replies
Baruch exhibition game
« on: October 27, 2021, 08:40:43 PM »
Bearcats no match for the red hot Johnnies!

Re: Baruch exhibition game
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2021, 09:32:13 PM »
Watching replay now... will post thoughts soon
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 10:33:27 PM »
It looks like we’re going to have a very deep team with a lot of contributors.

Of the new guys, here’s my take vs Manhattan powerhouse Baruch.

Smith - He’s very good. Just a solid all around player. He’ll hit the three, make the extra pass, and drive the ball when it’s there.

Coburn - I’m not as sold on him as Smith, but he’s a good shooter, and I like that he plays defense.

Niwye - Didn’t see much scoring from him, but he did put it on the floor at the top of the key, and drew a foul. Makes me think this is what Mohammed Diakite was supposed to be.

Mathis - Aggressive defender. Athletic finisher. Not sure about his jumper.

Pinzon - Looks really poised for a freshman. I think he’ll do well here. Good court vision, passer, and shooter.

Wheeler - Looks like a solid four, but not above average. Won’t overpower anyone, but will help fill an important role.

Soriano - He’s in better shape than he was last year, but he’s not in great shape, so while we should expect a productive season from him, he’s going to get into foul trouble.

Stanley - Really active undersized PF. Great energy guy. Reminded me of those undersized skinny PFs Providence gets.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 07:22:40 AM by Poison »

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 12:27:29 AM »
Early impressions:

Posh is Posh. He’s incredible.

Champ is Champ…would like to see him be more selective from deep though.

Soriano isn’t a stiff. Needs to keep the ball higher in paint though.

Pinzon looks like he’s wearing a hair piece but he’s very skilled offensively and he’s not shy. Reminds me of LJ a in that regard. I don’t think it will take him long to get going. 

Stanley has an unreal motor on him. Decent stroke too.

Coburn disappointed a little. I can’t tell if he is just really efficient or not a big hustler.

Nyiwe won’t be much more than 5 fouls and spot minutes barring an injury.

Stef Smith was mehhh.

Mathis was okay…good motor but not a real coordinated kid.

This might be the best team we’ve had in a while but it will probably the least high flying and most under the rim too.

We will be in some real trouble if something happens to Posh. I think Wusu is better than any of the new guards.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 08:39:45 AM »
A few general observations...

- Everyone can run the floor. It was nice to see Soriano, Wheeler, Nyiwe, and Stanley were all mobile running the floor.
- We're long 1-5 on the floor.
- A lot of interchangeable parts. We should wear teams down simply with pressure
- Team looked in good shape. Transfers especially look physically ready to compete in conference.
- Slightly worried about not having a true backup point guard
- Didn't like that our team sneakers were on same level as Baruch's. We should go down to Jamaica Ave and get some retros
- St. John's website to view boxscores in game was vastly improved

Now some individual thoughts...

- Really like Stef Smith. I know he didn't light up the box score but he might have showed most polish out of newcomers to me.
- Mathis can be our Paris Horne. Hustle, energy, lockdown defender.
- Coburn will be the microwave off the bench
- Posh was almost unrecognizable because he looks a lot leaner.
- Soriano while being Godzilla today still showed he had soft hands, could run the floor, and is our true big who can bang in the post. I like Wheeler as a change of pace stretch.
- We don't need anything from the freshman this year and that's a good place to be. Pinzon looked like a freshman but he has some game. Will be nice for him to be Champagnie's understudy for a year or two.

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 08:51:50 AM »
And to no surprise looks like we got a new strength coach...

https://redstormsports.com/staff-directory/tyler-watson/426

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 08:50:26 PM »

- Mathis can be our Paris Horne. Hustle, energy, lockdown defender.
A guy nobody ever heard of, named after a famous romantic crooner, in his first exhibition could be like one of our all-time greats? Nice! Did anybody resemble other all time greats Phil Greene and Avery Patterson?

Marillac

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 12:35:23 AM »
A guy nobody ever heard of, named after a famous romantic crooner, in his first exhibition could be like one of our all-time greats? Nice! Did anybody resemble other all time greats Phil Greene and Avery Patterson?

Stef looked pretty close to Phil Greene…maybe with even less PG ability.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2021, 12:44:32 AM »
Stef looked pretty close to Phil Greene…maybe with even less PG ability.
But he doesn't dribble in circles.  :) :) :) :) :)

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 08:33:34 AM »

I was speaking to his role rather than straight comparison to talent. Can he be an energy, hustle, go-to defender for other team's best scorer? I think that's what he gonna be asked to do whether he can do it is another story

Marillac

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 01:34:01 PM »
I was speaking to his role rather than straight comparison to talent. Can he be an energy, hustle, go-to defender for other team's best scorer? I think that's what he gonna be asked to do whether he can do it is another story

He was surprisingly active for an exhibition. Looks like he could be a good option to defend 6’3-6’7 wing players. He’s probably a guy you want in an up and down tempo.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2021, 10:36:11 PM »
He was surprisingly active for an exhibition. Looks like he could be a good option to defend 6’3-6’7 wing players. He’s probably a guy you want in an up and down tempo.

Think he's a nice fit. Ultimately think Wasu supplants him in starting lineup