Marquette loses frontcourt player..

• 8 replies

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
Marquette loses frontcourt player..
« on: August 26, 2008, 11:09:35 AM »
.. They are "loaded" in the backcourt... but losing this kid leaves them with virtually NOTHING in the paint... which is just fine with me... with a healthy Mase we might be the BETTER team at this point imo.. ;D .. peace!

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/goodmanonfox

MBAKWE LEAVES MARQUETTE

Marquette sophomore forward Trevor Mbakwe won’t return due to personal reasons.

He was fighting with senior forward Dwright Burke and two other inexperienced and unheralded frontcourt guys – undersized sophomore forward Patrick Hazel and true freshman Chris Otule – for minutes up front.

“I was shocked by the news and obviously caught off guard, having initially heard through one of my assistants his intent on Friday night and then having it confirmed over the last 36 hours,” said Marquette head coach Buzz Williams after being informed by Mbakwe on Friday afternoon of the news.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:10:16 AM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
Re: Marquette loses frontcourt player..
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 11:28:34 AM »
They weren't strong in the paint before; if a team can handle their thieving guards then this team is beatable.  I don't know if the Red Storm are that team unless the guys force turnovers.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
Exactly Peter, this was Marquettes problem come tourney time. They just couldn't match up inside with teams. Now with this kid gone its even a bigger problem. It definitely helps out every team in the Big East because Marquette is a damn good team.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 11:58:55 AM »
Dont think there going to miss this kid though.

From link- he averaged 1.5 pts  (26% fg%) & 2.1 rebs
 in 9 min/g & was considered very raw.

Molloy '71

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 12:03:34 PM »
But he was going to be their other big man, along with Hayward.  (And perhaps Burke and Pat Hazel); they had big hopes for him, and he was a touted recruit.  The guy was coming off an injury that should have sidelined him for the season; when he played, it was at the end of the year and he wasn't going to break into that rotation when the team was rolling.

(edit) But this year they needed him, with the graduation of Barro and Fitzgerald.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 12:04:37 PM by peter »

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 04:06:22 PM »
Who is coaching Marquette now, I cant remember.

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 04:30:42 PM »

Baldi read the first post he is mentioned in there....Buzz Williams
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

oldred10

• Ya Gotta Believe!!!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 04:38:16 PM »

Baldi read the first post he is mentioned in there....Buzz Williams

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3336811

btw - Marquette loses this kid, G-town loses Macklin & Rivers, Pitt loses Cook, Pukon loses Wiggins & Kelly, etc... once again, IMHO,  if Mase & Thomas are HEALTHY we have a shot to crack the top 8-10 in the conference.. ;D .. peace!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 04:58:41 PM by oldred10 »

"If u LOVE us that's GREAT... if u HATE us that's GREAT too... if ur in the middle... get the F*CK out!!" - Paul Stanley, KISS

Randomhero423

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:23:53 PM »
marq can be this year's villanova.