David Jones to St.John’s

• 20 replies

Poison

David Jones to St.John’s
« on: May 02, 2022, 09:19:33 AM »
Let’s be honest, if the situation was reversed, we’d be pretty mad. That said, he had a very good year and looks like a well rounded, athletic replacement for Champagnie.

Re: David Jones to St.John’s
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 09:23:53 AM »
Let’s be honest, if the situation was reversed, we’d be pretty mad. That said, he had a very good year and looks like a well rounded, athletic replacement for Champagnie.

We’d be pissed. And it will happen eventually and it’s gonna suck. But us not doing it to someone else isn’t gonna preclude anyone else from doing it to us. No sense in getting screwed both ways.
*wipes ketchup from his eyes* - I guess Heinz sight isn’t 20/20.

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 09:33:11 AM »
NIL offers will be handed off in the post game handshake line.

Don't look forward to when it happens to us.  But happy to get a player of his caliber
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 09:37:52 AM »
Outstanding work by Anderson and staff this off-season. No transfers out and two of the best coming in.

Poison

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2022, 12:18:41 PM »
All fair points guys. It looks like we’re going to be more athletic this year with Jones, Curbelo, AJ, King, and the redshirt, but we’ll see.

I had such high expectations last year and we had a Norm Roberts-esque season.

Foad

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 04:34:08 PM »
I had such high expectations last year and we had a Norm Roberts-esque season.

SJU -- under Anderson less than 17 wins total over three years and eight minus wins in conference  -- lost more or less half its good players (Champagnie and Wheeler out of those two plus Posh and Wusu). So I agree with my friend Poison that hoping for vast improvement on that and those grounds is optimistic and more likely preposterous. More likely is that next year sucks as much as this year did. Just as the weather yesterday is almost always the same as weather today, plus or minus. Or at least I hope so.

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 05:16:01 PM »
SJU -- under Anderson less than 17 wins total over three years and eight minus wins in conference  -- lost more or less half its good players (Champagnie and Wheeler out of those two plus Posh and Wusu). So I agree with my friend Poison that hoping for vast improvement on that and those grounds is optimistic and more likely preposterous. More likely is that next year sucks as much as this year did. Just as the weather yesterday is almost always the same as weather today, plus or minus. Or at least I hope so.

I don’t know if looking at it through the lens of additions and subtractions works for predicting Anderson’s teams. There is a requisite level of physical talent needed for his teams to be successful. This past team was improved on paper from an addition/subtraction viewpoint, but was the least physically talented team in the conference and was extremely disappointing.

The collective physical talent of the 2022-23 version is clearly upgraded IMO.

Maybe we’ll actually see 20-30 mins of hell.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2022, 01:59:15 AM »
David Jones is a good addition. Let's just say he offsets most of the scoring loss of Champaigne, staff still hasn't replaced Wheeler's shooting or for that matter added any real shooters.

They've definitely gotten morre athletic which was desperately needed. This team feels like it's going to tease us. There are going to be some nights where they look like world beaters and then some nights where they look clueless. Just hoping for some consistency.

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 12:02:25 PM »
David Jones is a good addition. Let's just say he offsets most of the scoring loss of Champaigne, staff still hasn't replaced Wheeler's shooting or for that matter added any real shooters.

They've definitely gotten morre athletic which was desperately needed. This team feels like it's going to tease us. There are going to be some nights where they look like world beaters and then some nights where they look clueless. Just hoping for some consistency.

Storr can shoot it. And no one would have imagined Wheeler was a shooter prior to last year.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 01:51:55 PM »
Storr can shoot it. And no one would have imagined Wheeler was a shooter prior to last year.

Storr is an incoming freshman. So we're going to rely on an unproven commodity that will have to adjust to a new system and the Big East?

Right about Wheeler. He bet on himself. The shooters were supposed to be Stef Smith and Tareq Coburn. We know how that worked out. So we basically haven't filled our biggest need.

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 03:59:11 PM »
Storr is an incoming freshman. So we're going to rely on an unproven commodity that will have to adjust to a new system and the Big East?

Right about Wheeler. He bet on himself. The shooters were supposed to be Stef Smith and Tareq Coburn. We know how that worked out. So we basically haven't filled our biggest need.

Didn’t say rely. Responding to your notion that they havnt added any.

The two guys they have added via transfer are studs. Can’t be upset with the staff for adding them even with their shooting short comings.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 04:01:29 PM by Amaseinyourface2 »

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2022, 01:23:05 AM »
Didn’t say rely. Responding to your notion that they havnt added any.

The two guys they have added via transfer are studs. Can’t be upset with the staff for adding them even with their shooting short comings.

They haven't added a proven shooter. That's better. Storr was also more of a slasher in HS that could knock down a J. We have many similar parts on this team. It will be interesting to see how they gel.

I'm also very weary of Mike Anderson putting these guys in the best position to succeed. is he going to go 10-11 deep again? 

Marillac

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2022, 07:32:50 AM »

Jones is nowhere near as polished, but he looks like he could help create some chaos and get some easy buckets. I just hope he doesn’t show up expecting to be a shooting guard.

Anderson needs chaos and easy baskets. He’s not going to win many half court battles.

Marillac

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 07:34:14 AM »
I really like that Storr kid.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2022, 11:23:48 AM »

Wusu can shoot. Pinzon looks like a good shooter. How do you know Posh, Curbelo, Jones or others won't improve their shooting?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 11:25:10 AM by Proud Alumn »

Foad

« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2022, 04:43:49 PM »
I'm also very weary of Mike Anderson putting these guys in the best position to succeed. is he going to go 10-11 deep again? 

Yes he is. Because he's determined that his system - comprising playing the ninth guy as many minutes as the third guy - is more important than his players and their talents and their aspirations. His system is the be all and end all, even though its stupid and hasn't achieved anything since Corliss Williamson.

The ARK fans who mocked St John's after Iron Mike was hired were as right about this guy as UCLA fans were about stupid Steve Lavin: he stinks, and that's me being charitable.

« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 05:03:13 PM »
Yes he is. Because he's determined that his system - comprising playing the ninth guy as many minutes as the third guy - is more important than his players and their talents and their aspirations. His system is the be all and end all, even though its stupid and hasn't achieved anything since Corliss Williamson.

The ARK fans who mocked St John's after Iron Mike was hired were as right about this guy as UCLA fans were about stupid Steve Lavin: he stinks, and that's me being charitable.

Wusu had the the 3rd highest minutes per game on the team last year at 24.7
Nwyie had the 9th highest minutes per game on the team last year at 11.2

That is a big difference.

Foad

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2022, 07:21:15 PM »
Wusu had the the 3rd highest minutes per game on the team last year at 24.7
Nwyie had the 9th highest minutes per game on the team last year at 11.2

That is a big difference.

Last year in the BE in order:

Providence: six players plus 25 minutes
VU: six players plus 25 minutes
Uconn: six players plus 20 minutes
CU: six players plus 20 minutes

dot dot dot

SJU: two players plus 25 minutes, 11 players plus 10 minutes

tldr: Other more successful coaches than Anderson have noticed that playing better players longer than worse players achieves better results than playing worse players as much as better players. Seems foundational, but it's eluded Iron Mike Anderson.

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2022, 10:40:40 PM »
Last year in the BE in order:

Providence: six players plus 25 minutes
VU: six players plus 25 minutes
Uconn: six players plus 20 minutes
CU: six players plus 20 minutes

dot dot dot

SJU: two players plus 25 minutes, 11 players plus 10 minutes

tldr: Other more successful coaches than Anderson have noticed that playing better players longer than worse players achieves better results than playing worse players as much as better players. Seems foundational, but it's eluded Iron Mike Anderson.

Why didn’t you mention Seton Hall? 7 over 20mpg and 9 over 18mpg.

Foad

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2022, 05:09:52 PM »
Why didn’t you mention Seton Hall?

Why didn't you mention Monty Hall?