St Johns vs IONA scrimmage?

• 120 replies

sjd8886

Re: St Johns vs IONA scrimmage?
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2008, 02:12:11 PM »
you guys have been talking about this scrimmage with iona for months...i know u want info on the team bc we are looking to see how the kids have improved but come on, its a scrimmage against iona...might as well go watch a practice if ur interested

Poison

« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2008, 07:18:52 PM »
you guys have been talking about this scrimmage with iona for months...i know u want info on the team bc we are looking to see how the kids have improved but come on, its a scrimmage against iona...might as well go watch a practice if ur interested

when there is no other news of any kind. no marathon oil, no athletes in action, this becomes news.

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2008, 09:30:15 PM »
I am hearing that IONA did win and that Booth got hurt. Anyone hear anything?

Poison

« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2008, 10:15:18 PM »
I am hearing that IONA did win and that Booth got hurt. Anyone hear anything?

It's always something with St.John's. Now Boothe. Damn. We are cursed.

Randomhero423

« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2008, 10:23:42 PM »
if that's true then wow...

it would certainly be a new excuse for normies thoguh. 

« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2008, 10:34:23 PM »
All I've heard is that St. John's did not have a great performance and Boothe didn't play because of injury.  I have not heard any real results on it.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Poison

« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2008, 10:51:33 PM »
All I've heard is that St. John's did not have a great performance and Boothe didn't play because of injury.  I have not heard any real results on it.

Day of game, we'll see it in the NY Post. "SJU must press on without Boothe."

And for the record, if we did play badly, and or Iona if they played well, at least there is a measure of what our efforts produced.
These d2 games are useless.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 10:56:27 PM by Poison »

« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2008, 12:28:50 AM »

And for the record, if we did play badly, and or Iona if they played well, at least there is a measure of what our efforts produced.

D2?

Marillac

« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2008, 01:12:43 AM »

LOL UH...it's about to get ugly!!! Quick, somebody help me restrain Baldi!!!

D2?

Poison

« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2008, 07:28:07 AM »
d2 like queens college.

« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2008, 08:08:39 AM »
I'm worrying about Nov. 14th not no scrimmage against Iona. These scrimmages just a glorify pick up game.

« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2008, 09:44:40 AM »
Cmon now, you cant downplay this loss. IONA beat St Johns the last 3 times they played, its no wonder SJU refuses to play the Gaels during the regular season. IONA claims ownership of the Redstorm.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2008, 09:55:43 AM »
if that's true then wow...

it would certainly be a new excuse for normies thoguh. 
This staff has a ridiculously thin margin for a chance at success; and given their track record with reporting injuries (i.e. Mase last year)... I'll believe Malik is okay when I see him on the court.  He was limited by a back problem in a game or two,a s I remember.

And randomhero, who are these "normies" you speak of?  Is this a binary system, "you're either with us or against us?"  I don't see anyone going "just you wait, Norm's DEFINITELY the man to turn it around" - maybe not even Old Red.  Some people want to see the team lose so badly he gets booted out; others hope the TEAM wins. So "a new excuse for the normies" is a strawman, a false opponent that doesn't exist.  I don't think anyone's in love with the job the coach has done, except maybe the administration.

Randomhero423

« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2008, 10:06:28 AM »
they'll always defend him and talk about how jarvis wrecked the program and how the "facuilties were a major hurdle"  if we don't win this year, they can say boothe was injuried.

« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2008, 10:09:17 AM »
they'll always defend him and talk about how jarvis wrecked the program and how the "facuilties were a major hurdle"  if we don't win this year, they can say boothe was injuried.

Jarvis did wreck the program!  Is their anyone that disagrees with that statement?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #75 on: November 10, 2008, 10:10:06 AM »
"they?"  but who are "they?"  I think even they "they" you speak of are not happy with the current state of affairs or the current coach's work.  I think a "normie" in your definition would be a devotee of Norm Roberts, and those people don't exist.  Now, whether a poster on the boards chooses to froth about D2LOSERCOACH or talk about the fact that the administration hadn't ponied up to have competitive facilities doesn't mean one is more right or more wrong - both are true.  But I think everyone would agree that so far, this is not a good rebuilding job.

And as Baldi said above.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:10:39 AM by peter »

mkras99

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2008, 10:44:49 AM »
I am told Malik is ok.

Marillac

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2008, 10:48:54 AM »

Jarvis did wreck the program!  Is their anyone that disagrees with that statement?

I disagree with that statement entirely.  He was just coming off three consecutive tournament appearances and an NIT title--with a team at the end of the season that would have beaten the previous year's team IMO.  He had a future NBA player, Quinton Hosley signed, and Price who turned out to be a helluva college player.  He also had a McDonald's All-American playing point guard--and ended up being the only Johnnie to make the NCAA tournament since.

If he was fired after the 2003 season or at the end of the 2004 season, they would have been supervised at Pitt and that embarassment would have never happened. Keita would have then never had a reason to come out with his allegations.

Look at Ohio State and look at Baylor.  Baylor is KILLING it with recruits.  BAYLOR!!! They had somebody killed. They lost EVERYTHING, but they have Drew had Lacaderius Dunn, a top 25 player, signed almost immediately.  They have top recruits committed for years to come already.  I don't even have to get into Ohio St.

College basketball is the easiest thing to turn around.  You have FIVE guys.  Norm started with two very good players in Show and Hamilton--that's 40%.  

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »

I believe Jarvis wrecked the program in combination with St. John's administrations refusual to try and compete with the other Big East programs (by not upgrading the facilities, etc.). I think the past events made it very hard for coach with little coaching experience and coaching reputation to come in here and hit the ground running from day one. Could it have been done by a coach with a name like a Roy Williams, Calipari, etc... ABSOLUTELY! They would have produced results alot quicker then we are currently getting. However, St. John's hired a coach with hardly any head coaching experience and not a name for himself. One thing about NORM is that I do believe he truly wants the program to get better. However, like I mentioned before he had a few things against him like: (1) No quality head coaching experience... which didn't have a name for himself (3) A program that was wrecked by scandal (3) A school that hasn't produced a quality NBA player (except Artest) in a long time. (4) Scholarship losses and injuries.

Because all of this... we haven't improved (yet) as fast as most of us would like or have seen from other programs that HAVE HIRED a coach with more quality head coaching experience (and more recognized head coaching name).

I think N.R truly wants the program to get better. Therefore, to be fair, I think we need to give him this year to see if we improve (at least be more competitive... (close games, etc..)). As I mentioned in a previous post, if team does improve, we give him another year. If it doesn't, find someone else.

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »
"they?"  but who are "they?"  I think even they "they" you speak of are not happy with the current state of affairs or the current coach's work.  I think a "normie" in your definition would be a devotee of Norm Roberts, and those people don't exist.  Now, whether a poster on the boards chooses to froth about D2LOSERCOACH or talk about the fact that the administration hadn't ponied up to have competitive facilities doesn't mean one is more right or more wrong - both are true.  But I think everyone would agree that so far, this is not a good rebuilding job.

And as Baldi said above.

Thank you, Peter. I'd also love to know who "they" are. Since the beginning of this site people have thrown out these empty statements like this when I feel the posters on this site are such a well balanced group. I don't think you can find better level headed discussion and debate than here. Save the Norm/Anti-Norm stuff for other places its just pointless. Season is less than a week away. Lets Go St. John's!
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle