Cavataio

• 15 replies

kjd01067

Cavataio
« on: December 17, 2007, 02:03:34 PM »
Does anyone else think Cav deserves more of a shot ?  I think he should have got atleast half of Evans minutes against Niagra and we could have went small.  I think this kid can be a zone buster and not really sure why Evans gets minutes and Cav doesnt.  I realize we have alot of guards but with Mase out I would think it would be the perfect time to get this kid some minutes if even limited.

Re: Cavataio
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »
I thought about this at the time too but I really think they just wanted a bigger body granted I'm pretty sure Cav is a better rebounder then Evans right now.  Cav showed me a lot in his few minutes and I really think he'll be a player for us.  Made some sweet passes and even though he bricked that jump shot he took I like how he curled right off and fired it up.  I want to see Larry do that more. 

pmg911

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:21:02 PM »
He would play more if he were stronger..      he also not a good defending at this level yet...

I think he will be solid contributor as an upper classman....

One other thing..    he could contribute if Norm had a half court offense that could take advantage of kids that can come off screens and get their shot off...   

St. John's actually has a few kids that can do this. .  Mason. . Wright & Cav....

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 02:35:07 PM »
I agree PMG I think Cav could serve a purpose but he definitely needs to add strength
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2007, 03:03:26 PM »
I thought about this at the time too but I really think they just wanted a bigger body granted I'm pretty sure Cav is a better rebounder then Evans right now.  Cav showed me a lot in his few minutes and I really think he'll be a player for us.  Made some sweet passes and even though he bricked that jump shot he took I like how he curled right off and fired it up.  I want to see Larry do that more. 
From listening to the game, it sounded like Cav was active-- making passes (one led to a Kennedy lay up, one led to foul shots) and he has an eye for the ball.  The strength and defense remarks are obviously valid, but you know... on defense, St. John's can deal with him getting abused for a few possessions.  This team is pure turd on offense and that's a fact.  If Sean Evans can go out there and be abused while contributing not a hot dang thing, then Cav can get abused while making some passing and hustle plays.  We'd all dig that.  Let the kid run a little.  He's got better b-ball sense than Evans (who is the only on of the recruits where I wonder if he will ever contribute).

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:45:48 PM »
If he was 4 inches taller he would have gotten 20 minutes last game. 

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 04:20:10 PM »
Lets face it, playing cav more can't hurt us. It can only give him more experience and confidence going into next year. I also think DJ is a player and at the end of 4yrs could turn out to be a lavor postell type (a kid comes without much hype gets better every year and has a taste of the nba).

nrb155

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 04:41:58 PM »
i am a HUGE cavataio fan, but i still think he needs a little time before we throw him into a big time role...he gets a little too excited when he gets on the court, which is understandable, but i do think he will contribute a great shot once he gets a little more comfortable with the college basketball scene

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 04:42:28 PM »
Lets face it, playing cav more can't hurt us. It can only give him more experience and confidence going into next year. I also think DJ is a player and at the end of 4yrs could turn out to be a lavor postell type (a kid comes without much hype gets better every year and has a taste of the nba).

Well playing everyone isn't going to do us any good...      doesn't let roles get defined and doesn't develop a good cohesion for your top of the rotation players...

When Mason is back to full strength and Rob Thomas joins the squad..  the minutes are going to get VERY tight for some players...   and honestly.  Cavataio and Evans should not get off the bench then...  

The only reasons Evans should play in the conference is if one of the forwards gets into foul trouble..    Burrell is completely exhausted and needs a quick rest..    or its a blowout in either direction...  

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 05:04:38 PM »

Well playing everyone isn't going to do us any good...      doesn't let roles get defined and doesn't develop a good cohesion for your top of the rotation players...

When Mason is back to full strength and Rob Thomas joins the squad..  the minutes are going to get VERY tight for some players...   and honestly.  Cavataio and Evans should not get off the bench then...  

The only reasons Evans should play in the conference is if one of the forwards gets into foul trouble..    Burrell is completely exhausted and needs a quick rest..    or its a blowout in either direction...  

well said

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 05:13:06 PM »
Norm's rotation is like youth league, he's trying to get everyone on the court for a few minutes so their parents can point and say "that's my boy!"  Seriously, though, these are the games where Cav should have gotten off the bench, show his stuff a little.  Ah well.

Well playing everyone isn't going to do us any good...      doesn't let roles get defined and doesn't develop a good cohesion for your top of the rotation players...

When Mason is back to full strength and Rob Thomas joins the squad..  the minutes are going to get VERY tight for some players...   and honestly.  Cavataio and Evans should not get off the bench then...   

The only reasons Evans should play in the conference is if one of the forwards gets into foul trouble..    Burrell is completely exhausted and needs a quick rest..    or its a blowout in either direction...   

Poison

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2007, 10:54:13 PM »
He would play more if he were stronger..      he also not a good defending at this level yet...

I think he will be solid contributor as an upper classman....

One other thing..    he could contribute if Norm had a half court offense that could take advantage of kids that can come off screens and get their shot off...   

St. John's actually has a few kids that can do this. .  Mason. . Wright & Cav....

What's a screen?

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2007, 03:32:08 AM »
I see Cavataio got 2 mins, suprising with Mason back

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 03:36:31 AM »
If Cav can prove a role like PMG said earlier in the thread he can see time. I like Cavs iq and hustle when he is out there. He isn't afraid to get dirty on the boards either but he needs to get stronger. He also looks nervous shooting the ball but what do you expect when he knows it might be the only shot he gets all game somehow Norm needs to calm him down and give him confidence.

Randomhero423

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 10:19:32 AM »
why didn't we redshirt him???

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 10:38:10 AM »
We only have 12 scholarship players, & 1 is Rob, who they dont (or didnt
 last month) know if his knee will hold up for a whole year of Big east banging.

No way do you redshirt Cav. I agree he should have been getting mins equal to Evans.
Thru Ha game Evans avg 9 min-- Cav avg 3 min
Molloy '71