Student Pep Rally - Stormfest

• 164 replies
Re: Student Pep Rally - Stormfest
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2008, 12:00:35 PM »
If this is the DJ Zeke that I think it is, then it'll be none other than Isiah Thomas' son playing the music.

With special guest rapper Ron Artest

« Reply #41 on: September 22, 2008, 12:35:20 PM »
This is classic St. John's here for you. Things like this were very typical during my years of undergrad and I see nothing is changing. I hear people want change, they are doing more, they want to pump up student interest with the basketball team, etc.

Well on the Thursday the 25th(same day as the tip-off) the African Students Association(ASA) is hosting an event right by student housing outside on the basketball courts by Montgoris dining hall directly overlapping the time of the pep rally.

I guarantee this has double the attendance of the pep rally. Also people will be outside all afternoon watching this 3 on 3 tourney as they will hear music from their room and wonder what is going on, will see it on their way to/from class, sit outside hang out watch the tourney or girls walking by and socialize, watch the dunk contest after, say to themselves gee I'm hungry let me go to the dining hall I'm standing right outside in front of, eat, say they're tired, walk back to their dorm, sit on the crapper for 20 min, study/watch tv/play video games etc.

Not once will they think about the pep rally as their attention was completely taken away or their energy is drained and they are too lazy to go to this after. How does the school even allow this to happen?
Brain Trust

« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2008, 01:33:17 PM »
lesson learned.  maybe they should coordinate with the student groups before setting up a program.  a wrap up of the 3 on 3 tournament could have been held in taffner before the basketball team program...with the dj and other stuff tied in.

i know FH doesn't like that "culture"...but it is what it is.

« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2008, 03:14:38 PM »
Ahhh it actually seems like it'll be a different DJ Zeke.  Isiah's son is also a part time DJ and calls himself DJ Zeke
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2008, 03:20:12 PM »
i know FH doesn't like that "culture"...but it is what it is.
What "culture" doesn't he like, a winning one
or a DJ, some dancing, and a little 3 on 3?

« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2008, 03:34:25 PM »
None of the people pictured above have any control over the African Student Association and this would fall under the event cooridinator or campus life. The event is completely counter productive to the pep rally. I posted something on the ASA bulletin for the event asking if they considered the pep rally but it was quickly deleted.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

pmg911

« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2008, 04:16:44 PM »
None of the people pictured above have any control over the African Student Association and this would fall under the event cooridinator or campus life. The event is completely counter productive to the pep rally. I posted something on the ASA bulletin for the event asking if they considered the pep rally but it was quickly deleted.

that just goes to show how little weight the basketball program carries @ St. John's these days....

« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2008, 05:32:33 PM »

that just goes to show how little weight the basketball program carries @ St. John's these days....

I wouldn't say that but rather how poorly things are put together and planned. You need to gain approval to have events on campus through campus life and I think its pretty insensitive that the ASA was granted permission to hold the event.

kob24

« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2008, 07:08:53 PM »
I'm working on that right now jj

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
Just got back from a class and on every door in my hall there is a flyer for the event and tonight there is a special event with giveaways pizaa and special guests in the Hollis Hall 2nd floor lounge sponsored by the Redzone student section.

« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2008, 02:53:53 PM »
This why we can't recruit

WHY i am only hearing Lance's name coming to the RALLY, this the perfect time to attract  our targets from 2010, 2011 , 2012, 2013

Teams are already signing player in 2014 class & we are focusing  2009 it is a dam shame

We are 4-5 years behind ::)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:54:38 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2008, 02:55:26 PM »

WHY i am only hearing Lance's name coming to the RALLY, this the perfect time to attract  our targets from 2010, 2011 , 2012, 2013

Teams are already signing player in 2013 class & we are focusing  2009 it is a dam shame

We are 4 years behind ::)

There will be a lot of other guys there. I think Jordan Williams, Devon Collier, Jayvaughn Pinkston, Mike Poole, and more.

« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
Thanks I feel a lot better ;D
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #53 on: September 23, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »

Teams are already signing player in 2013 class & we are focusing  2009 it is a dam shame

We are 4 years behind ::)

There will be a lot of other guys there. I think Jordan Williams, Devon Collier, Jayvaughn Pinkston, Mike Poole, and more.
We're not 4-5 years behind.
Most programs are still working on their 2009 class and targeting their 2010 class.

Including Lance, that's a good group, JJ.
We'll need some space available to take more than 1-2 of those kids.

Good luck, KOB

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #54 on: September 23, 2008, 04:23:42 PM »
No 2011s?  Mike Poole in the house, as well?  I hope you'll be getting some interviews in/ shout outs in.  Or an ID for the Jungle podcast.

« Reply #55 on: September 23, 2008, 04:37:36 PM »
No 2011s?  Mike Poole in the house, as well?  I hope you'll be getting some interviews in/ shout outs in.  Or an ID for the Jungle podcast.

If they are on an unofficial/official visit it is against NCAA rules for me to talk to them at the event.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:37:53 PM by JJ »

kob24

« Reply #56 on: September 23, 2008, 08:17:25 PM »
Alot of 2011 players are gonna be there sterling Gibbs and kabongo is for sure

« Reply #57 on: September 23, 2008, 09:17:24 PM »

If they are on an unofficial/official visit it is against NCAA rules for me to talk to them at the event.

Because of the media credentials?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #58 on: September 23, 2008, 09:40:39 PM »

Did not know that - are you treated like a booster, then?!  Is it an affiliation with the school why you can't talk to them?

And Gibbs and Kabongo?  NICE.

« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2008, 12:55:26 PM »
Fans Can Catch Live Video Of 2008 Red Storm Tip-Off On RedStormSports.com, is this only live video? Or can I catch it on demand? Because I am not sure if Prof. Nugent will let us out at a descent time , they should force all night SPM classes to go