Student Pep Rally - Stormfest

• 164 replies

pmg911

Re: Student Pep Rally - Stormfest
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2008, 01:06:38 PM »
No 2011s?  Mike Poole in the house, as well?  I hope you'll be getting some interviews in/ shout outs in.  Or an ID for the Jungle podcast.

If they are on an unofficial/official visit it is against NCAA rules for me to talk to them at the event.

If you are not affiliated with or supported by the school...    why is it against NCAA Rules for you to talk to them..?

« Reply #61 on: September 24, 2008, 01:15:21 PM »
i know for a fact it's wrong to give them envelopes stuffed with cash.

talking is another story.

« Reply #62 on: September 24, 2008, 02:23:40 PM »
I'm not 100% certain if its an NCAA rule or just St. John's policy but media can have no interaction with a potential student athlete while they are on campus grounds for an unofficial or official visit. I'm sure Theo can comment and shed some light on this too.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #63 on: September 24, 2008, 03:06:49 PM »
it would have to be st john's policy. 

also, the internet would have to be considered "media"...but would that policy apply to it...or solely to newspapers, tv and/or radio...the traditional media as we know it?

« Reply #64 on: September 24, 2008, 04:04:23 PM »
I've been told that it is against NCAA policy for credentialed media members to speak with recruits while on campus.  Not 100% sure, but that is what I have been told in the past.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »
I should add that I will be there as well on Thursday evening. Really looking forward to it.
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

pmg911

« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2008, 04:18:44 PM »
I'm not 100% certain if its an NCAA rule or just St. John's policy but media can have no interaction with a potential student athlete while they are on campus grounds for an unofficial or official visit. I'm sure Theo can comment and shed some light on this too.

A fan site that has no specific affiliation to the University is considered "media"

So if I went out and started the site "number1SJUfan.com" tomorrow. .  I would be considered media in the eyes of the school and/or NCAA..?

« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2008, 05:31:25 PM »
I've been told that it is against NCAA policy for credentialed media members to speak with recruits while on campus.  Not 100% sure, but that is what I have been told in the past.
who told you this?

« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2008, 06:45:13 PM »

A fan site that has no specific affiliation to the University is considered "media"

So if I went out and started the site "number1SJUfan.com" tomorrow. .  I would be considered media in the eyes of the school and/or NCAA..?

Please don't try and diminish or slight what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to do a lot of good for the University as well as the students who can gain professional experience by working for Johnny Jungle. There are so many positive opportunities I'm trying to create and by getting more access I can accomplish so much more. Its a fine line and I'm working very hard to cross it. This is a small step in the right direction and I'm very thankful for the opportunity.

« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2008, 06:49:57 PM »

Please don't try and diminish or slight what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to do a lot of good for the University as well as the students who can gain professional experience by working for Johnny Jungle. There are so many positive opportunities I'm trying to create and by getting more access I can accomplish so much more. Its a fine line and I'm working very hard to cross it. This is a small step in the right direction and I'm very thankful for the opportunity.

Great job JJ, dont let the man keep you down

« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2008, 06:52:32 PM »
Nice job JJ! Let's hope there is a great turnout. Keep up the good work.

« Reply #71 on: September 24, 2008, 08:25:08 PM »
I think it's unfair to categorize certain sites as "fan sites" or "news sites," and I think this site brings some things in both of those categories.  Having access is important for sites that are LEGITIMATE.  I think that is the key word.  As "blogs," and "fan sites" have become more and more popular and traditional media is diminishing, I think it's going to be a judgement call for people to determine what is legitimate and what isn't.  JJ does a lot of work on this site and there are certainly news providing areas of it.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2008, 10:49:41 AM »
So after stormfest, the coaches can have full practices with the team?  Or individual workouts?  What's the limit on their contact with the players?

« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2008, 01:24:50 PM »
I am looking forward in seeing our freshmen & Rob Thomas

These are mystery men
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2008, 02:46:16 PM »

These are mystery men

I'm on the train up to NY now it should be a great time. Everyone is a mystery so I'm looking forward to all

kjd01067

« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2008, 02:53:22 PM »
Starting to get excited again... Can't wait to hear how all the guys are playing

mkras99

« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2008, 05:11:03 PM »

These are mystery men

I'm on the train up to NY now it should be a great time. Everyone is a mystery so I'm looking forward to all

You going to live blog from the event?

« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2008, 05:24:17 PM »
I'll do my best. Currently I'm sandwiched inbetween two smelly people on the Q46

« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2008, 05:26:48 PM »
I'll do my best. Currently I'm sandwiched inbetween two smelly people on the Q46
John Rocker live from the Q?

« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »
wat up jungle? just arived on scene. will provid updates all nite long.

one thing fo sure. our boys in shape n ready to roll.