LANCE VS FELIPE

• 42 replies

Randomhero423

Re: LANCE VS FELIPE
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2008, 09:17:02 PM »
lance's doc was pretty interesting but every entry was kinda short.

i should def check out all those other ones.  thanks.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 01:05:26 AM »
Hoop Dreams is now on Hulu for free: http://www.hulu.com/hoop-dreams.

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 01:14:07 AM »
Hoop Dreams is now on Hulu for free: http://www.hulu.com/hoop-dreams.

Hulu is an awesome site.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 08:33:15 PM »
This a great comparison, good thread

They both had big shoes to fill Lance in Telfair & Lopez in Freeman, but Lopez at least had fellow MCD-All American to help in H.S. Lance has a solid supporting cast but not a MCD-All American level player to help him continue the dynasty

Felipe had a lot more coverage from the media so he wins in that category, even with the internet being what it is today

Lopez faced way better competition in high school ,off the top of my head Ed Cota, Kareem Reid , Steph, Shammgod As for Lance he is the only NBA prospect on the radar playing in NY over the last 4 years (maybe Kemba 2 years from now or the Jones boys 3-4 year from now ) so maybe that attributes to Lances 2 state titles to Lopez 1 ,I am not sure how many City titles Lopez has but I doubt it is 3 going on 4

Lance is in his right grade Lopez not so much :o

Mental Lopez seems to be more even keel than Lance , Lance is a Prima Donna

Lance is from Brooklyn Lopez is from the BX , Lance wins that one :)

Lance is the winner

Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Randomhero423

« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 08:40:33 PM »
lance was left back i believe.

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 08:42:32 PM »
Lance has a killer instinct that Felipe seemed to lack.  I always felt that Felipe was too nice a kid to reach the heights that his talent could have taken him.

« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2008, 09:07:37 PM »
Felipe didnt play wit no other Mickey D AA.
Second best playa on that Rice team was Gary Saunders who was a year behind and went to GTech, but was no AA. Scientific Mapp got on at Florida Atlantic. Rob Johnson went JUCO. 'Fore that, Reggie Freeman (Tex) wudnt no AA nor wuz Jerry McCullough (Pitt).
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 09:50:51 PM »
I wonder if Felipe would have had a better career at SJU if Zendon went elsewhere. Just a thought.

pmg911

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2008, 08:33:07 AM »

They both had big shoes to fill Lance in Telfair & Lopez in Freeman, but Lopez at least had fellow MCD-All American to help in H.S. Lance has a solid supporting cast but not a MCD-All American level player to help him continue the dynasty

Felipe had a lot more coverage from the media so he wins in that category, even with the internet being what it is today

Lance followed the NYS All Time leading scorer..     who followed Stephon Marbury...     its not even close to compare to who came before Felipe...       Lance has had a VERY VERY solid supporting cast around him. . and everytime Tiny needs player he just goes to a Catholic school and "convinces" one to transfer...     **don't get me started on how he stole 4 kids from Xaverian )

(he got a player, Shaquille Stokes, to transfer to Lincoln from NJ this year..   screwing his starting point guard from last year in the process)

I believe Mr. Stephenson is year behind in school...  (this doesn't matter anymore because the kid that is a stud player and his his correct school year in the minority in NYC these days)

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2008, 09:50:16 AM »
Felipe didnt play wit no other Mickey D AA.
Second best playa on that Rice team was Gary Saunders who was a year behind and went to GTech, but was no AA. Scientific Mapp got on at Florida Atlantic. Rob Johnson went JUCO. 'Fore that, Reggie Freeman (Tex) wudnt no AA nor wuz Jerry McCullough (Pitt).

Choz, haven't spoken to you in a bit, but your right.  I will say again, Reggie was the toughest guy I ever had to guard back in my HS days.  Any thought's on what he's up to know?

Poison

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2008, 10:14:21 AM »

Lopez faced way better competition in high school ,off the top of my head Ed Cota, Kareem Reid , Steph, Shammgod As for Lance he is the only NBA prospect on the radar playing in NY over the last 4 years (maybe Kemba 2 years from now or the Jones boys 3-4 year from now ) so maybe that attributes to Lances 2 state titles to Lopez 1 ,I am not sure how many City titles Lopez has but I doubt it is 3 going on 4

Lance is the winner

I think NYC has fallen off the map in terms of top point guards. Telfair is nothing yet. And who knows if he ever will be. Marbury was terrible as a Knick, and he's known more for running his mouth than any offense.

pmg911

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »

Lance is the winner

I think NYC has fallen off the map in terms of top point guards. Telfair is nothing yet. And who knows if he ever will be. Marbury was terrible as a Knick, and he's known more for running his mouth than any offense.

The conversation had nothing to do with accomplishment after high school but how they compared in high school.....

There was no guard in the city and maybe the country that could have guarded Steph when he was a senior...   sometimes I think people forget how good he was @ Lincoln because of all of his short comings as a pro...  he is in the same sentence as any point guard, Kenny Anderson included, to ever play high school basketball in NYC...

Poison

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2008, 11:02:23 AM »

Lance is the winner

The conversation had nothing to do with accomplishment after high school but how they compared in high school.....

There was no guard in the city and maybe the country that could have guarded Steph when he was a senior...   sometimes I think people forget how good he was @ Lincoln because of all of his short comings as a pro...  he is in the same sentence as any point guard, Kenny Anderson included, to ever play high school basketball in NYC...

It's true. I have forgotten how good he was in high school.

I'm not sure if "short comings" is the best way to put it. Being so terrible as an NBA player has in many ways discredited Steph's high school success, and makes people think that perhaps New York isn't the hot bed for point guards anymore. Many other cities have produced more legit point guards with game at all levels, not just high school.

pmg911

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2008, 11:09:47 AM »

Lance is the winner

There was no guard in the city and maybe the country that could have guarded Steph when he was a senior...   sometimes I think people forget how good he was @ Lincoln because of all of his short comings as a pro...  he is in the same sentence as any point guard, Kenny Anderson included, to ever play high school basketball in NYC...

I'm not sure if "short comings" is the best way to put it. Being so terrible as an NBA player has in many ways discredited Steph's high school success, and makes people think that perhaps New York isn't the hot bed for point guards anymore. Many other cities have produced more legit point guards with game at all levels, not just high school.

I am sorry but he is just not a terrible NBA player..     he has been bad for Knicks the past two years but the guy has career averages of 19.7 points and 7.8 assists...

« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2008, 11:37:51 AM »

Lance is the winner

I am sorry but he is just not a terrible NBA player..     he has been bad for Knicks the past two years but the guy has career averages of 19.7 points and 7.8 assists...

On teams who have never seen better than a first round exit of the playoffs.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2008, 11:54:51 AM »

Lance is the winner

I am sorry but he is just not a terrible NBA player..     he has been bad for Knicks the past two years but the guy has career averages of 19.7 points and 7.8 assists...

Steph proves that stats are misleading. He was great in high school. Just like Lopez. Now, Steph is a joke.

pmg911

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2008, 12:01:05 PM »

Lance is the winner

Hey . . until last year Garnett had one decent playoff run..    so you are telling me that if Steph lands with a team that wins title. . all is forgiven for him..?

Poison

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »

Lance is the winner

Hey . . until last year Garnett had one decent playoff run..    so you are telling me that if Steph lands with a team that wins title. . all is forgiven for him..?

PMG, I think you know that comparing Steph's success to KG's isn't a good comp.
KG, for the most part, played on winning teams.

Steph was part of the problem with the Knicks.

pmg911

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2008, 12:52:48 PM »

PMG, I think you know that comparing Steph's success to KG's isn't a good comp.
KG, for the most part, played on winning teams.

Steph was part of the problem with the Knicks.

I am not arguing that fact at all... he has been a huge failure with Knicks. . but he has not been a horrendous NBA player...

He is a very talented, albeit very selfish, basketball player..

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 12:53:36 PM »
There was no guard in the city and maybe the country that could have guarded Steph when he was a senior...

I disagree on this. Shamgod slammed him in a couple of AAU games. Not the regular season but when the showboating came out, Shamgod ran circles around him.