STJ IS RANK 6th IN NY PER CHN

• 39 replies
STJ IS RANK 6th IN NY PER CHN
« on: September 30, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »
http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/state-03908-new-york-105092
1.SYRACUSE - Led by one of the all-time great coaches, Syracuse has been a perennial power under Jim Boeheim. The Orange have missed the last two NCAA Tournaments, but should be back in 2009.

2.SIENA - Its been a good decade for Siena, with 3 NCAA Tournaments and 2 NIT trips. Last year, the Saints knocked off Vanderbilt in the opening round, and some  pundits even think Fran McCaffery's crew has a chance to finish in the Top 25..

3.NIAGARA - With the exception of a poor 2006 campaign, Niagara has been very solid in the last decade. They've finished over .500 overall and in MAAC play in 9 of 10 seasons, and advanced to the Tournament in 2005 & 2007.

4.HOFSTRA - After the amazing job Jay Wright did at Hofstra around the turn of the century, Tom Pecora's tenure has been a bit more pedestrian (but still good for NY standards). The Pride did ride the shooting stroke of Loren Stokes to the 2007 NIT (their 3rd in a row), but were disappointing last year despite the return of Antoine Agudio.

5.MANHATTAN - Bobby Gonzalez led Manhattan to four postseason trips between 2002 and 2006. Barry Rohrssen hasn't been able to maintain that high standard, though this year's team has potential.

6. ST. JOHN'S - Once one of the game's top programs, St. John's still isn't close to getting out of the mess created by Mike Jarvis. The Storm haven't finished in the RPI Top 100 since 2003, and that futility should continue in 2009.
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

Re: STJ IS RANK 6th IN NY PER CHN
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 12:01:30 PM »
I will give you SIENA & SYRACUSE but 6th that is ridiculous

Hofstra & Niagara both lost the best 2 scores in NY respectively  & did these teams get someone to replace them that i don't know about?

As for the Jaspers , they are returning most of their top players but none are superstar so I doubt they could knock off SJU   

I guess anyone can write an article
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:02:33 PM by KAHNIGHT »
Attack basketball, pressure defense, 40 minutes of hell ... Early on it might be 30 minutes of hell, then 10 minutes of what the hell are you doing?"

« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 12:08:44 PM »
Even with the struggles no way St. John's is 6th. Curious as to everyone else's thoughts on this
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 12:16:02 PM »
Unless he knows something that we don't:

Siena    08 RPI    66/99    & bringing in 1  2 star recruit

St Johns    RPI   156/126                  2  2 star recruits

Niagra       RPI   153/116                  1  1 star recruit

Manhattan RPI   274/226                  2  1 star recruits

Hofstra      RPI   242/208                2 star recruits (same as us)

On paper, not counting injuries, above is my expected order below Cuse.
I really dont know the other teams other than Hofstra & who they lost.

thoughts ?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:42:26 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Marco Baldi is going to be pissed that Iona isnt at least #2.

Are they ranking recently successful programs or actual head to head rankings. Based on recent success we might be #6.  But we are better than most of those teams on a head to head basis even Siena.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:20:43 PM by jumpinjohnny »
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 12:21:21 PM »
I wish we'd play more of the strong northeast teams like Siena, UMass, Rhode Island etc.

We dont have to play the Metro teams only for local matchups
Molloy '71

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 12:28:05 PM »
I wish we'd play more of the strong northeast teams like Siena, UMass, Rhode Island etc.

We dont have to play the Metro teams only for local matchups

Its a no win situation for us to play those teams. If we win its because we're supposed to and if we lose they say he look we beat St. John's. It does nothing for our local credibility.

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »
Last year we opened with:

St Francis,  Sacred Heart,  FDU,  LIU

I think I'd rather go 3-1 (2-2 in a bad year) vs stronger
regional teams than 4-0 vs above (hypothetically)

I can see playing 1 or 2 cupcakes, but 4 doesn't do
the team or it's RPI any good

I think a 2 or 4 pt loss to UMass/Siena would be better for the team &
more exciting for the fans than a 25 pt win over Sacred Heart & FDU
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 12:54:48 PM by stevep502 »
Molloy '71

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 12:54:59 PM »
until we beat these teams, we'll be ranked lower.  anything else is pie in the sky.

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 01:00:28 PM »
that's a stupid list.  why is hofstra and manhatten even there?  shouldn't iona be there somewhere?

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »
Manhattan is terrible, they will not even come close to winning the MAAC. Rohrssen might be out of a job soon

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 01:18:19 PM »

Whether it's Monasch or Roberts, it seems as though the idea is simply to get wins, not necessarily quality wins. Howard, Bethune-Cookman, NJIT, and St. Francis all had an RPI of over 300 last season. JJ is probably correct on the logic used by the powers that be in not scheduling the stronger local college programs.

Our RPI has been
2005: 165
2006: 137
2007: 133
2008: 156

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2008, 01:21:09 PM »

Whether it's Monasch or Roberts, it seems as though the idea is simply to get wins, not necessarily quality wins. Howard, Bethune-Cookman, NJIT, and St. Francis all had an RPI of over 300 last season. JJ is probably correct on the logic used by the powers that be in not scheduling the stronger local college programs.

Our RPI has been

Why would they keep scheduling Niagara the past couple of years rather than say Manhattan or Iona who have had down years?

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2008, 01:37:53 PM »

A win to the naked eye in the standings is better than a quality loss. Its easier to sell wins

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2008, 01:39:05 PM »

Our RPI has been

You look around the country and that logic is used by a majority of programs that are in bigger conferences.

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 01:41:11 PM »
"This won't be a ranking based on next year's projected success, but will be a general program ranking based on recent success (the last five years) along with subjective factors of my choosing."

Anyone want to look up each of the top 5 team's win/loss and avg RPI over the past 5 years?

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2008, 01:45:37 PM »

Our RPI has been

Why would they keep scheduling Niagara the past couple of years rather than say Manhattan or Iona who have had down years?
It's a fellow Vincentian school located about 400 miles from Queens.
If and when they lose, they're less likely to hear about it from concerned alumni and fans than a loss to local Catholic schools like Iona and Manhattan. It says something when they've now put off a long standing series with a sister school,  after suffering a pair of defeats in the past few seasons.  

For the record, I'd love to see STJ play Iona, especially now that Willard has brought in some good recruits. I don't think it's a good thing to shy away from competition.

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2008, 01:52:28 PM »

Our RPI has been

It's a fellow Vincentian school located about 400 miles from Queens.
If and when they lose, they're less likely to hear about it from concerned alumni and fans than a loss to local Catholic schools like Iona and Manhattan. It says something when they've now put off a long standing series with a sister school,  after suffering a pair of defeats in the past few seasons.  

For the record, I'd love to see STJ play Iona, especially now that Willard has brought in some good recruits. I don't think it's a good thing to shy away from competition.

Niagara and St. John's couldn't play this year due to schedule conflicts. Next season the series will resume.

sjd8886

« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 09:09:49 AM »
we will not get respect until we win...you guys need to understand that...they won't even hint that we'll be successful this year bc there's no reason to from their perspective, and you should understand that's warranted...we've had the ability to compete in previous seasons and got our ass kicked...we've had teams before pre season that commanded some sort of optimism and we got our ass kicked...we've had good recruiting classes before, and we've got our ass kicked...so until we win, we will continue to get abused in the press...well, this year we have a bunch of talented sophs, a kid who by all means should be a 2nd round draft pick if he can pull his head outta his ass, and everyones spirits are high bc of whats going on on the recruiting front, so........WIN....its year 5, no more &*%$ing excuses, just win some ballgames
« Last Edit: October 01, 2008, 09:10:50 AM by SJD »

kjd01067

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2008, 10:35:28 AM »
we will not get respect until we win...you guys need to understand that...they won't even hint that we'll be successful this year bc there's no reason to from their perspective, and you should understand that's warranted...we've had the ability to compete in previous seasons and got our ass kicked...we've had teams before pre season that commanded some sort of optimism and we got our ass kicked...we've had good recruiting classes before, and we've got our ass kicked...so until we win, we will continue to get abused in the press...well, this year we have a bunch of talented sophs, a kid who by all means should be a 2nd round draft pick if he can pull his head outta his ass, and everyones spirits are high bc of whats going on on the recruiting front, so........WIN....its year 5, no more &*%$ing excuses, just win some ballgames

Amen...  I think this is exactly how most of us feel