St. John's Columbus Day Float?

• 23 replies

Randomhero423

St. John's Columbus Day Float?
« on: October 10, 2008, 05:31:58 PM »
Just heard on SNY's Daily News Live, there's going to be St. John's float during the Columbus Day Parade, featuring Lou Carnnescca, Walter Berry, and Jayson Williams...

Anyone know who else will be on the float?

Re: St. John's Columbus Day Float?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2008, 07:31:49 PM »
A whole bunch of Pizans!  ;D

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2008, 08:26:50 PM »
Just heard on SNY's Daily News Live, there's going to be St. John's float during the Columbus Day Parade, featuring Lou Carnnescca, Walter Berry, and Jayson Williams...

If anyone should be on that float it should be none other than MARCO BALDI!

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 02:29:23 PM »
A  number of players will join him including Mel Davis and I have to be certain, Carmine Calzonetti will be in the vicinity if he is alive. ( mof course he is...and well) Coach is being honored that day and will appear on the event broadcast after the parade.  This is a really nice honor; I sent him a note that he was one up on Calipari and Pittino with his own float in the Italian parade.  New York can be a very special place when they love you. Good for Looie!

gonzalo

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 02:49:20 AM »
http://redstormsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/101008aaa.html

Carnesecca To Be Honored With Columbus Day Parade Float

St. John's Hall of Fame basketball coach to represent University in Monday's parade.

Oct. 10, 2008

Donate To The Carnesecca Initative

QUEENS, N.Y. - Hall of Fame basketball coach Lou Carnesecca will be honored at Monday's Columbus Day Parade, riding on a float representing St. John's University. Athletics Director Emeritus John W. Kaiser, current Director of Athletics Chris Monasch and several former St. John's basketball players including Walter Berry and Jayson Williams will join Carnesecca for the parade and surrounding festivities.

Fans can catch Coach Carnesecca live along the parade route beginning at noon, or on NBC-4, which televises the parade live. St. John's Hall of Fame mentor will take part in a televised interview with NBC's Roseanne Coletti once the STJ float makes its way through the parade.

In addition, many current St. John's students will join Coach Carnesecca and the University representatives, particularly members of the Italian Cultural Society, who will walk with the float along the parade route.

Headed by former St. John's All-American and longtime NBA star Mel Davis, the Carnesecca Initiative is the University's major fundraising venture to support a $30 million renovation to Carnesecca Arena, home to the St. John's basketball program since 1961. Early leadership gift commitments have helped to move the first phases of the renovations forward and additional gifts will be needed to complete the full vision. For information about upcoming Carnesecca Initiative events, naming opportunities in the new Carnesecca Arena, or to make a donation, please contact Davis at 718-990-2374 or the St. John's Athletic Development staff at 718-990-7566.

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 12:57:39 PM »

I know he's half Italian, but does the school want as controversial a figure as ex-NBA forward/murderer Jayson Williams on the float. Maybe they feel enough time has passed. If so, he'd probably be a good recruiter.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 01:53:24 PM »
99.9 percent of the time, jason is a positive figure.  i guess it's about time he makes over that .1 percent by getting out there.

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 08:56:56 PM »
Jay shouldnt be makin no public appearence when he still gotta face a jury.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2008, 10:02:47 PM »
It's absolutely absurd, in my opinion, that St. John's chooses Jayson Williams to represent them.  He should be in jail, not on a parade float.  The school couldn't choose someone better to represent them and coach Carnesecca? 
"When excuses become your reason for losing then it is time to find the nearest mirror." -Mike Dunlap

Randomhero423

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2008, 10:16:58 PM »
jay will is actually a real nice guy according to everybody basically.

i've never heard a negative thing about his attitude. 

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2008, 10:19:02 PM »

He killed someone with a gun, but he has a great attitude!

Randomhero423

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2008, 10:42:55 PM »
it was an accident without intent.

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2008, 10:45:36 PM »
it was an accident without intent.

Someone is dead by the trigger which he had his finger on. Im sure you would feel different if this guy didnt play basketball.

Randomhero423

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2008, 10:50:36 PM »
if he didn't play basketball i woudl not have followed the story, and neither would you.

jay will has a rep of being a good guy.  and he was intoxicated when he was playing with a gun.  clearly he should not have been drunk or playing with a gun, but he didn't do it with intent.

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2008, 10:52:47 PM »
if he didn't play basketball i woudl not have followed the story, and neither would you.

jay will has a rep of being a good guy.  and he was intoxicated when he was playing with a gun.  clearly he should not have been drunk or playing with a gun, but he didn't do it with intent.

I would think the same about him if he played hoops or not. He should be in jail, only because he has $$ is why he is still free. Would you feel the same way if you knew the deceased? Drunk drivers dont intend on killing people either

Randomhero423

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2008, 10:53:57 PM »
if i knew the deceased obviously i would be more bitter towards the situation. 

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2008, 10:57:18 PM »
Why do people walk around with loaded guns? Obviously to shoot something, this time he hit someone. A couple of months before he almost shot Wayne Chrebet.

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2008, 10:58:41 PM »

I'm not judging him one way or another on shooting someone when he was intoxicated at his compound, but I've heard negative things sbout his attitude from people that had to work closely with him when he made his foray into television.

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2008, 11:52:16 PM »
if i knew the deceased obviously i would be more bitter towards the situation. 

So you have no respect for life unless you know the person? I wouldn't want to see you in a dark alley or have you in the trench with me.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle