Top 50 Big East Players of All-Time?

• 70 replies
Top 50 Big East Players of All-Time?
« on: October 26, 2008, 01:10:40 AM »
NBE is making a list counting down to the 50 greatest BE players of all time. So far they have....

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/big-east-all-time-top-50/

Note: The only criteria that was used to compile the list was how well a player performed in college, specifically in the conference, physically as well as the degree of impact he made for his program or the league. NOT taken into consideration was the general popularity of the player, how high he was drafted into the NBA, or even his pro career. Also, no current players are eligible.

50) Gerry McNamara

49) Jeff Green

48) Mark Bryant

47) Caron Butler

46) Clyde Vaughan

45) John Duren

44) Brandin Knight

43) Randy Foye

42) Hakim Warrick

41) Craig Smith

40) Mike Sweetney

39) John Pinone

38) Bill Curley

37) Khalid El-Amin

36) Pat Garrity
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Top 50 Big East Players of All-Time?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2008, 01:14:38 AM »
I'd like to see Gerry Mac a little higher but something like this is always subject to criticism. Craig Smith was and still is one of my favorite players. The dude is a straight up beast he was fun to watch my freshman year. Also to note he is a successful 6'7 PF in the NBA.

Marillac

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 05:43:22 AM »
I can't believe that Jeff Green is ranked below Bill Curley!  I loved that BC team, but let's get real.  Green borderline carried that G'town team to the Final Four.  And how in the world is he ranked below Sweetney!!!!  What did he ever do for G'town...lose to us in the NIT?

GMac has to be higher too.  The kid has a national championship and had the best first hald I've ever seen in the national championship game.  Also, what he did in the Big East tournament gave me goose bumps and I hate Syracuse.  That is something that will probably never be dupilcated.  He OWNED that tournament.

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 05:55:48 AM »
I'd like to see Gerry Mac a little higher but something like this is always subject to criticism. Craig Smith was and still is one of my favorite players. The dude is a straight up beast he was fun to watch my freshman year. Also to note he is a successful 6'7 PF in the NBA.

With all due respect to Justin--which is who I assume you were referring to with the 6'7 PF comment--he is not and will never be Craig Smith.  Smith was a FREAK.  He averaged 20 pts and 8 boards a game for a BC team that was much better than STJ this past year.  He also shot 60%!!  from the field. Justin was in the low 40's. Smith had a very developed and advanced back to the basket game and Justin is still very raw in that category.  Justin is in another class ahtletically, however, but the only real similaritiy in their games is the fact that they both have astonishing low blocked shot totals for guys that play so many minutes at the PF position. 

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 09:18:11 AM »

With all due respect to Justin--which is who I assume you were referring to with the 6'7 PF comment--he is not and will never be Craig Smith.  Smith was a FREAK.  He averaged 20 pts and 8 boards a game for a BC team that was much better than STJ this past year.  He also shot 60%!!  from the field. Justin was in the low 40's. Smith had a very developed and advanced back to the basket game and Justin is still very raw in that category.  Justin is in another class ahtletically, however, but the only real similaritiy in their games is the fact that they both have astonishing low blocked shot totals for guys that play so many minutes at the PF position. 

I really was only comparing the mere fact that he is 6'7 is playing PF in the league because so many people think Justin can't. I'm not even saying he will but its possible.

Poison

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2008, 10:11:58 AM »
NBE is making a list counting down to the 50 greatest BE players of all time. So far they have....

http://w3.nbebasketball.com/index.php/big-east-all-time-top-50/

Note: The only criteria that was used to compile the list was how well a player performed in college, specifically in the conference, physically as well as the degree of impact he made for his program or the league. NOT taken into consideration was the general popularity of the player, how high he was drafted into the NBA, or even his pro career. Also, no current players are eligible.

50) Gerry McNamara

49) Jeff Green

48) Mark Bryant

47) Caron Butler

46) Clyde Vaughan

45) John Duren

44) Brandin Knight

43) Randy Foye

42) Hakim Warrick

41) Craig Smith

40) Mike Sweetney

39) John Pinone

38) Bill Curley

37) Khalid El-Amin

36) Pat Garrity

Billy Curley? No.

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »
bill curley used to kill us.

LJSA

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2008, 01:16:06 AM »
Also to note he is a successful 6'7 PF in the NBA.

And even more impressive is the fact that he's really about 6'5.5"

pmg911

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2008, 07:24:43 AM »

Semms BC always had players like that. .  Roger McCreedy. .   Donya Abrhams. .  Craig Smith...    hard nosed big that always outworked other guys..

Poison

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2008, 07:40:36 AM »

He had one very good year, but top 50 all time in the big east is nuts. For the most part, when we faced Curely, we had 5 guys better than him. Jayson Williams, Malik Sealy and Rob Werdann. Curley couldn't get anything done against them. Men against boys.

pmg911

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2008, 08:28:02 AM »

He had one very good year, but top 50 all time in the big east is nuts. For the most part, when we faced Curely, we had 5 guys better than him. Jayson Williams, Malik Sealy and Rob Werdann. Curley couldn't get anything done against them. Men against boys.

Men against boys..?    come on...

Curley never played against Jayson Williams. . his first year playing for BC was 90 - 91...
He played two years going head to head against Werdan and more then held his own considering he was Fresh/Soph and Werdan was Junior/Senior...

He was the Big East Conference Rookie of the Year in 1991, and was twice selected as a first team All-Big East player.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 08:35:36 AM by pmg911 »

Marillac

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2008, 12:14:26 PM »
I don't have a problem with Bill Curley as a top 50--maybe Mickey Curley :)  I just don't think he should be ranked aboved Jeff Green after what Green accomplished.

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 12:17:52 PM »
I guess Felipe Lopez isnt making this list

Poison

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 12:20:29 PM »

PMG, you're right, I meant ti use JW as an example of the kind of player that should be a top 50 all big east selection. And for the record, I sat there watching Werdann and the rest of SJU thoroughly destroy BC at Alumni Hall to the point where I felt pity.

If Curley makes it, so should Werdann. Same player.

Curley never played against Jayson Williams. . his first year playing for BC was 90 - 91...
He played two years going head to head against Werdan and more then held his own considering he was Fresh/Soph and Werdan was Junior/Senior...

He was the Big East Conference Rookie of the Year in 1991, and was twice selected as a first team All-Big East player.

Poison

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 12:21:37 PM »

Semms BC always had players like that. .  Roger McCreedy. .   Donya Abrhams. .  Craig Smith...    hard nosed big that always outworked other guys..
`

Danye Abrams outworked everyone in the cafeteria.

« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2008, 12:30:55 PM »

Semms BC always had players like that. .  Roger McCreedy. .   Donya Abrhams. .  Craig Smith...    hard nosed big that always outworked other guys..
`

Danye Abrams outworked everyone in the cafeteria.

Him and Luther Wright

pmg911

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

PMG, you're right, I meant ti use JW as an example of the kind of player that should be a top 50 all big east selection. And for the record, I sat there watching Werdann and the rest of SJU thoroughly destroy BC at Alumni Hall to the point where I felt pity.

If Curley makes it, so should Werdann. Same player.

With all due respect..      in the two years they played against each other. . SJU did win all 4 games BUT there was only one "blowout" and in that game. . Werdan didn't play...

mkras99

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 01:08:03 PM »
what.. is .. with ... all the ... extra periods...

pmg911

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 01:19:12 PM »
what.. is .. with ... all the ... extra periods...

why.. .     does..   .   .    matter....       

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2008, 11:24:39 PM »

Nine of my Top Ten would be like this.
Patrick Ewing number one. The other eight (not in order)
Chris Mullin,  Malik Sealy, Derrick Coleman, Pearl Washington, Richard Hamilton, Alonzo Mourningm Terry Dehere, Ray Allen.
Who else belongs near the top of the list? Who would St. John's fans put higher, Walter Berry or Mark Jackson?