Local College Tourny?

• 18 replies
Local College Tourny?
« on: October 29, 2008, 03:43:34 PM »
Get this done already

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/10/maac-media-day-why-patsos-quit.html
For several seasons now, Hofstra coach Tom Pecora has discussed with the Daily News the prospect of creating a basketball tournament that would pit local programs against each other, similar to how Philly runs its Big Five tournament.

Now both Iona coach Kevin Willard and Manhattan's Barry Rohrssen are seconding the motion and would like to take the talk to the next level.

"Coach Willard is a good guy and a good friend and when we speak and throw some ideas around, anything he feels is worthwhile I'm certainly willing to jump on board and support," said Rohrssen, who played college ball at St. Francis College in Brooklyn. "Being a New Yorker, being a metropolitan area basketball guy, understanding what this area means and keeping kids home, keeping kids in New Jersey and New York, and all the great high school programs that are all within a softball toss away, from St. Anthony's, St. Pat's, St. Benedict's, Seton Hall Prep, Mount Vernon, the Catholic school league, we're able to put some attractive games and packages together and tournaments. Maybe that helps keep some of the great local high school talent right here in this metropolitan area where it belongs."

Willard thinks it's high time the city teams banded together.

"I think it's something all the schools, locally, would like to do," Willard said. "No one's really gotten together and said, 'All right, let's do this.' But I think it's something that's gained a little momentum within the schools. I think it's stupid for us to go play outside New York when there are so many great schools right here in New York. They all have local guys, they all have local fans. St. John's has always had the Holiday Festival, but I'd like to see something like that turn into where it's like the Big Five in Philly. They have great games and great crowds. Turn it into something like that. Keep doing a round robin (tournament). I think we'd get great crowds and you'd get television exposure. It's something we've all talked about and now it's a question of how do we make it happen and I think you need someone smarter than basketball coaches to do that."

Willard said besides Rohrssen, he has so far spoken to Pecora and Joe Jones at Columbia, but would like to get Fordham, Rutgers, St. John's and others on board.

"Get everyone to play locally and do it in a way that everyone could benefit," Willard said. "Recruiting, fan base, television base, everything. We really need someone smart to come in and say, 'Let's do it this way.' I think everyone wants it. I think the fans would love it, too."

Sounds like a good idea to us. Maybe a doubleheader on a Saturday in December at the Garden might be a good place to start.

Poison

Re: Local College Tourny?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 03:59:45 PM »
Get this done already

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/weiss/2008/10/maac-media-day-why-patsos-quit.html
For several seasons now, Hofstra coach Tom Pecora has discussed with the Daily News the prospect of creating a basketball tournament that would pit local programs against each other, similar to how Philly runs its Big Five tournament.

Now both Iona coach Kevin Willard and Manhattan's Barry Rohrssen are seconding the motion and would like to take the talk to the next level.

"Coach Willard is a good guy and a good friend and when we speak and throw some ideas around, anything he feels is worthwhile I'm certainly willing to jump on board and support," said Rohrssen, who played college ball at St. Francis College in Brooklyn. "Being a New Yorker, being a metropolitan area basketball guy, understanding what this area means and keeping kids home, keeping kids in New Jersey and New York, and all the great high school programs that are all within a softball toss away, from St. Anthony's, St. Pat's, St. Benedict's, Seton Hall Prep, Mount Vernon, the Catholic school league, we're able to put some attractive games and packages together and tournaments. Maybe that helps keep some of the great local high school talent right here in this metropolitan area where it belongs."

"I think it's something all the schools, locally, would like to do," Willard said. "No one's really gotten together and said, 'All right, let's do this.' But I think it's something that's gained a little momentum within the schools. I think it's stupid for us to go play outside New York when there are so many great schools right here in New York. They all have local guys, they all have local fans. St. John's has always had the Holiday Festival, but I'd like to see something like that turn into where it's like the Big Five in Philly. They have great games and great crowds. Turn it into something like that. Keep doing a round robin (tournament). I think we'd get great crowds and you'd get television exposure. It's something we've all talked about and now it's a question of how do we make it happen and I think you need someone smarter than basketball coaches to do that."

Willard said besides Rohrssen, he has so far spoken to Pecora and Joe Jones at Columbia, but would like to get Fordham, Rutgers, St. John's and others on board.

"Get everyone to play locally and do it in a way that everyone could benefit," Willard said. "Recruiting, fan base, television base, everything. We really need someone smart to come in and say, 'Let's do it this way.' I think everyone wants it. I think the fans would love it, too."

Sounds like a good idea to us. Maybe a doubleheader on a Saturday in December at the Garden might be a good place to start.

Actually, I like our chances against the local teams.

I think the ship may have sailed for Hofstra.
Get this done already

Why not put a picture up of, oh i don't know a St.John's basketball player?
It's embarrassing to bring up an image like that on a computer screen.

Please remove it.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 04:16:59 PM »
there ya go. Hope Im not offending any Vulcans now
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 04:21:58 PM by Marco Baldi »

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:41:39 PM »
Their was an attempt at a NY/NJ 7 in the couple years prior to the Big East. It was St. John's, Manhattan, Fordham, Seton Hall, St. Peter's, and two others. I think Princeton and Iona. Rutgers was not part of it.
I would be all for something that promotes local hoops. I'd be in the minority on this board, but I hate the Big East and everything it stands for. I always rooted for local teams. Made-for-TV conferences make me puke. Now it's a 16-team "super conference." Yuck.
While I don't follow football, but can't wait until the day when the football schools go off on their own and blow up the Big East as it stands now. Get rid of it.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 10:49:44 PM »
the big east football conference is atlantic 10 quality.  they need hoops.

this topic of a local tournament has been talked about by fans for years.  right now, the holiday festival sucks the big one.  i know st john's was opposed to the idea a couple of years ago. 

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 11:01:04 PM »
So who should be included?  What's the format?  Do you rotate teams involved every year?
When you're a kid from New York and you do it in New York, that lasts forever!

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 11:33:12 PM »

this topic of a local tournament has been talked about by fans for years.  right now, the holiday festival sucks the big one.  i know st john's was opposed to the idea a couple of years ago. 

Syracuse, Louisville, Uconn, Cincy, WV, Pitt A-10 quality?  I a gree with you that it would weaken them, but in the event they split I can't imagine the football schools not picking up Memphis and a few other good basketball schools that play football. 

I think there will eventually be a huge split in college athletics between football schools and non-football schools.  When that happens I think Villanova will be ready to make the jump with the other schools.  Maybe a UAB?

How bad would we look with:  G'town, Nova (possibly), St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence --maybe Notre Dame.  I guess in that event we'd pickup Xavier and St. John's.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2008, 12:20:42 AM »
Syracuse, Louisville, Uconn, Cincy, WV, Pitt A-10 quality?

i'm referring to football.  this isn't the pac 10, sec or swc by any stretch.

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 12:30:23 AM »
The NY tournament would be a lot more beneficial to schools like Hofstra, Fordham, Manhattan, Iona but not to St. John's. We're supposed to be above them and if we're not how does that fare to us recruiting? On the other shoe if those schools beat St. John's it gives them a leg up in their recruiting. The only way I'd do the NY tourney is if Syracuse was involved.
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Poison

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 01:16:33 AM »

It's not quite A10 bad. West Virginia, Louisville and South Florida can play with anyone.
Uconn, Pitt, Rutgers and Cincy have been better too. Syracuse it horrible.

WHo in the A10 is even remotely good?

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 08:44:51 AM »
The NY tournament would be a lot more beneficial to schools like Hofstra, Fordham, Manhattan, Iona but not to St. John's. We're supposed to be above them and if we're not how does that fare to us recruiting? On the other shoe if those schools beat St. John's it gives them a leg up in their recruiting. The only way I'd do the NY tourney is if Syracuse was involved.

I think there is an issue with having another Big East team in the mix.  I don't think we can play them out of conference...though I'm not sure about that.  Also why would we want to give Syracuse (or Seton Hall or Rutgers) more exposure in NYC?  Plus Syracuse is not a NY metro area team IMO.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2008, 10:34:16 AM »

I think there is an issue with having another Big East team in the mix.  I don't think we can play them out of conference...though I'm not sure about that.  Also why would we want to give Syracuse (or Seton Hall or Rutgers) more exposure in NYC?  Plus Syracuse is not a NY metro area team IMO.

The way the Big 5 does it, the teams in the same conference meet up during the conference season (or count it as a conference game).  So a Big East team should be in the mix.  It's not a tournament like the Holiday Festival, but the teams spend their out of conference playing some of the other teams.  Not sure if they all actually play the other 4 in one season.

And Syracuse is way out there.  If you add the Cuse you have to think about Albany, or Binghamton, etc - Rohrssen and Willard were saying in that article that Columbia's coach is aboard. 

And a good school should have the talent and skill to take all local teams.  I know that won't be St. John's take, but at the very least, they should schedule Iona,Fordham, and Hofstra occasionally along with LIU, St. Francis, and those other near-Div II teams.

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2008, 10:45:19 AM »
The way the Big 5 does it, the teams in the same conference meet up during the conference season (or count it as a conference game).  So a Big East team should be in the mix.  It's not a tournament like the Holiday Festival, but the teams spend their out of conference playing some of the other teams.  Not sure if they all actually play the other 4 in one season.

And Syracuse is way out there.  If you add the Cuse you have to think about Albany, or Binghamton, etc - Rohrssen and Willard were saying in that article that Columbia's coach is aboard. 

And a good school should have the talent and skill to take all local teams.  I know that won't be St. John's take, but at the very least, they should schedule Iona,Fordham, and Hofstra occasionally along with LIU, St. Francis, and those other near-Div II teams.

Thanks...my next question was how the Big 5 does it.  So its just a Round Robin and the best record takes the title?

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 10:57:13 AM »

Thanks...my next question was how the Big 5 does it.  So its just a Round Robin and the best record takes the title?
I think so.  The Big 5 site says it was a round robin in the past -http://philadelphiabig5.cstv.com/history/pbg5-history.html.  Wikipedia says they killed the round robin and brought it back a few years ago - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Big_5.

History site is hosted by U Penn - http://www.archives.upenn.edu/histy/features/sports/basketball/big5/big5intro.html

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 11:09:25 AM »
Okay so here's a list of possible teams and their conference affiliation...

Hofstra CAA
Manhattan MAAC
Iona MAAC
Marist MAAC
Fordham A10
Columbia IVY
St.John's BE
Stonybrook AEC
LIU-NEC
St. Francis NEC
Seton Hall BE
Rutgers BE
Army PL

Am I missing anyone?

I don't think I like the idea of including any Big East teams.  Seton Hall and Rutgers are not NYC schools.  But if you make it 5 OOC teams that means St. John's would need to commit 4 OOC games a year.  I don't know that they could/would do that. 

Here's who I think shoud be included in a format like the Big 5 basically one from each conference.

A10-Fordham
BE-St. John's
MAAC-Manhattan (Sorry Baldi)
IVY-Columbia
CAA-Hofstra
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 11:11:02 AM by jumpinjohnny »

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2008, 11:16:43 AM »
Sorry to schill for myself, but I already wrote my thoughts and am too lazy to copy 'em -

http://theeastcoastbias.wordpress.com/2008/10/29/what-if-the-new-york-city-basketball-teams-did-a-big-five-style-tournament/

I think it's important to make some money on this thing, and another Big East team should add talent, spice, people in seats, and extra meaning to the regular season meeting between the teams.  Seton Hall does have some history, as well.  I like Iona and perhaps LIU as well; but with the teams not necessarily playing each other every single year. 

But it's also a burden on non-con scheduling... so it's a tough sell for the BE teams, and for the mid-majors when they have their good years.  Manhattan might, for example, want to schedule a couple of tough teams to see about helping the RPI or get the team ready to play at a high level.

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2008, 01:49:49 PM »

Hofstra CAA
Manhattan MAAC
Iona MAAC
Marist MAAC
Fordham A10
Columbia IVY
St.John's BE
Stonybrook AEC
LIU-NEC
St. Francis NEC
Seton Hall BE
Rutgers BE
Army PL

Am I missing anyone?

I don't think I like the idea of including any Big East teams.  Seton Hall and Rutgers are not NYC schools.  But if you make it 5 OOC teams that means St. John's would need to commit 4 OOC games a year.  I don't know that they could/would do that. 

Here's who I think shoud be included in a format like the Big 5 basically one from each conference.

A10-Fordham
BE-St. John's
IVY-Columbia
CAA-Hofstra
wagner is missing. 

you pick eight teams and put them in the holiday festival.  that's sure to sell more tickets than the current lapchick type tournament they have now.

peter

• Rumble in the Garden
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2008, 02:50:19 PM »

Hofstra CAA
Manhattan MAAC
Iona MAAC
Marist MAAC
Fordham A10
Columbia IVY
St.John's BE
Stonybrook AEC
LIU-NEC
St. Francis NEC
Seton Hall BE
Rutgers BE
Army PL

Am I missing anyone?

A10-Fordham
BE-St. John's
IVY-Columbia
CAA-Hofstra
wagner is missing. 

you pick eight teams and put them in the holiday festival.  that's sure to sell more tickets than the current lapchick type tournament they have now.
There are restrictions on the number of "exempt" style tournaments a team can participate in.  That will affect the number of teams that will want to do this. If you have an 8 team bracketed tourney, it would count as an exempt tournament, i.e., one game. If it was yearly, none of those squads could participate in the Preseason NIT or any of the other tournaments that have national viewership.

Or the Rainbow Classic.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?columnist=whelliston_kyle&id=2959948

..."multi-team events" (or MTE for short), which have much looser restrictions; schools can't play in the same multi-team event twice over a four-year period, but any school may now participate in a MTE every season if it so chooses.

The impact of the new rules on scheduling were dramatic and led to a surge of new Classics, Challenges and Shootouts. When the curtain lifted on the 2006-07 season, the number of named, multi-team preseason events had increased from 36 in 2005-06 to a whopping 58. And with the addition of even more fledgling events for 2007-08 -- with names like Philly Classic, Glen Wilkes Classic and Blue Ribbon Challenge -- college basketball's preseason has become a promoter's paradise.

kob24

« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2008, 05:23:20 PM »

I agree with marillac the big east football hangs with the best of them every year. South Florida and rutgers get it in

Syracuse, Louisville, Uconn, Cincy, WV, Pitt A-10 quality?  I a gree with you that it would weaken them, but in the event they split I can't imagine the football schools not picking up Memphis and a few other good basketball schools that play football. 

I think there will eventually be a huge split in college athletics between football schools and non-football schools.  When that happens I think Villanova will be ready to make the jump with the other schools.  Maybe a UAB?

How bad would we look with:  G'town, Nova (possibly), St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, Providence --maybe Notre Dame.  I guess in that event we'd pickup Xavier and St. John's.