Father Harrington: Campus builder or Basketball killer?

• 7 replies
Father Harrington: Campus builder or Basketball killer?
« on: December 14, 2008, 09:25:09 PM »
Is he really to blame for the basketball program? Have other programs seen resurrection due to change in their school president? Or does it fall more under the AD?

Has Ft. Harrington led the school to more students, more $$$, more buildings?

What exactly is his job? Does anyone know?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

Re: Father Harrington: Campus builder or Basketball killer?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:42:22 AM »
What exactly is his job? Does anyone know?
Follow Johnny Jungle on Twitter at @Johnny_Jungle

kob24

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 05:41:17 AM »
everyone says norm is to blame fire norm and his staff. But who put him there and who gave him a extension. Who wants him to run a totally clean ship? FH

Marillac

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:43:38 PM »
IMO Father Harrington has done an excellent job in many areas of building the university.  One area he has been horrible with is basketball. He needs to stay out of it and he needs to keep Louie out of it. 

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2008, 07:57:39 PM »
IMO Father Harrington has done an excellent job in many areas of building the university.  One area he has been horrible with is basketball. He needs to stay out of it and he needs to keep Louie out of it. 

Seem reasonable.
Parking only for NYCHA permit holders.

Tha Kid

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 09:42:02 AM »

That's the problem.  If the President is doing a great job overall, how can you remove him from only one aspect?  Who  has authority to do that?  The answer and decision has to come from within himself, which I doubt will ever occur.
"I drink and I know things"

Marillac

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »

That's the problem.  If the President is doing a great job overall, how can you remove him from only one aspect?  Who  has authority to do that?  The answer and decision has to come from within himself, which I doubt will ever occur.

Technically the board of directors are above him.  Unfortunately it is an unwritten rule with BOD's all across the country to stay out of coaching searches. 

I met with the board a few times while I was a student, and they seemed pretty eager to get the students take on things.  I don't know who remains from that board, but I'm sure the students could convince them to put some pressure on Father Harrington to stay out. 

After all, him interfering with a coaching hire is not his job and how much different is that than him interfering with a professor's class?

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 01:30:55 AM »
the president is basically a fund raiser.  who's to say how good a job he's done.  most of the students and alums are from working class families, so he can't compete with the ivy's of the world. 

we also will never know if his connection with bear stearns cost the school millions...or why the school spent a fortune on the oakdale campus which is a white elephant he'll never sell without taking a bath.